Characters for the H:P (Harry Potter) games.

Started by fentongames, Sun 12/03/2006 21:32:17

Previous topic - Next topic

fentongames

I have made a new art style for my H:P (Harry Potter) Game, and I have drawn characters in that style. Here they are. Remember these are not final.

Harry:

Ron:

Hermione:

Draco:

Dumbledore:

These were drawn from one body template that I created, so that all characters are the right size and look similar. For the child characters, I have made the neck to feet 16 pixels shorter than the template is. For each new game, the characters will grow 4 pixels taller. The head remains the same in the whole series though.

Darth Mandarb has already pointed out that I have missed the scarves and house colours from the uniform, so I'll be sure to remember to draw them later, but here they are for now. Please comment on them.
Time Kid, coming this summer.

bush_monkey

They remind me a lot of the style used for the book covers. (That's a good thing). Just one thing: Their upper right arm is too big compared to the rest of the body. They look like they've been lifting weights with that arm alone. you may want to thin that out . 

vict0r

They look better than the characters you used to have, but what bothers me is that you only drew 1 character, and gave him different wigs. I would reccomend you to draw each character from scratch, instead of making them all look the same.

Corey

They are regonizable and thats the point I guess. Thought its not a good idea that let them look the same in every serie... It might look weird.
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

chapter11studios

I'm not the biggest fan of using one template for all the characters. One size/height, sure, but I think they look too much alike using the same body template. Just a little variety here and there could go a long way. That aside, these look nice. I'd play this game. ;-)

Saberteeth

Isn't that coat just on the outside? I mean, they have normal clothing on the inside, right?

And Dumbledore sould be taller, unless it's that kind of a style(like the japanese chibi(everyone is the equal height, head is as big as the body)).

Stefan Z

Theoreticaly I'm against using one template, but here with the school uniform I think it looks allright.
Ron and Hermione have a zombie-like stare in their eyes, maybe you should make the black edges on their eyes a bit smaller?
But bear in mind I've never read any Harry Potter book  ;)

And I agree with you, SBsLoVeNiA that Dumbledore should be taller.

DanClarke

I think the template thing could work, kind of like a lego sort of theme.

MarVelo

may want to make a space on their chests and put a sweater with their house colors underneath. The template thing should work good but maybe change it for dumbledore as he is much older/taller.

SinSin

its a start but i dont like how they are all the same person with different hairstyles. Its looks like you dont actually care bout what they look like and that your rushing to get a game out.
Sorry but i must state that i am most unimpressed with these characters
Get some differenciation, accent their facial features a bit
give hermione a bit of a girly figure (shes looking a bit gruff at the mo)
    i know how people must think im an ass for being so blunt but  i have been slated for lack of effort in the past and it changed the way i thought about my passion
Patience is the key
        spend more time on your characters it may win you something

Fair enough it was fair blunt but this is a comment and crits section
Currently working on a project!

MarVelo

Afflict

Corey

yeah he's quit right I guess. But I (my opinion) wouldnt be anoyed if fentonfilms would just use them in the game like this. I mean it's his choice and I don't think those sprites look that bad really.
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend

Rincewind

Mm, I agree with what most of the others already said earlier on here. But I still don't think that it's such a bad start.
Did a fast edit paint-over of Harry's face to give you some ideas of how to improve it a bit and get rid of that zombie-like face but still not breaking too much with the style you already have going.

scourge

I don't mind templates, but for the high-res cartoony style you're going for it might bet better to make them different from eachother? I don't know.

Anyways, here are trio made by recently here in the Critics Lounge Seaduck, excellently done :)
Maybe it could give you ideas :) (hope i am allowed Seaduck?)

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=24515.0

fentongames

Thanks rincewind. I like your version of Harry better than mine. Perhaps would you like to try that with all the characters to give me more ideas?

As for everyone else who was against my template idea, I'll try drawing each person seperatley, especially Dumbledore and see if they look good or not.

fentongames

Do you remember this old, tiny, undetailed character?

Well, I redrew him from scratch in this style. Tell me what you think of it.

Incase you're wondering, he's leaning up against a wall. Please comment on it.

Corey

erm i'm not sure who it is. Is it flinch or what's his name??
Without knowing who he is here is some C&C:

- the style of this char is very different from the others.

- his legs looks weird, even thought he's leaning.
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend

Saberteeth

his legs are too short according to his body. And I don't see if this is single color or multiple colors. i also dunno who that guy is.

Ace_Gamer

looking at the hideous face, i'd guess it was voldermort, BUT voldermort doesn't have his own body, he uses prof quirelles, then uses his memory thru a diary, then in the fourth he gets his own body but is taller and more menacing

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk