Unamed Project 45 (Small Update: 7.28.2003)

Started by Sylpher, Fri 29/11/2002 07:43:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylpher

-= Unamed Project 45 (Working Title) =-

:History:
Some of you (hopefully many) have heard of my Iso Project. Creating an isometrical adventure game. Although Iso has been officially shelfed (Edit: Since been released) I still hope to use what I learned (maybe one day even release it) from it in new and kick arse ways. A lot of it being stuff you will never notice (internal workings of the game) but still I think the overall experience well help with that extra shine...

:Moving On:
Unamed Project 45 will feature many things Iso had to offer. Isometrical backgrounds, arcade controls, guide, triple response system. As well offer new ideas I have. I hope to approach this game differently then I have previous games. I usually am, like others, super secretive about my games. I am gonna try and be a bit more open about this one and hopefully it will add that extra needed motivation to finish it.

:Storyline:
The storyline is a bit difficult to describe as of right now. For the most part it is finished but only really in my head so bare with me. The main idea of the game is trying to use one of the most powerful things a child has, imagination. The game will bend and change as the main character imagines things. At some points a simple inventory object like a stick may become a sword because that is how the main character sees it. Sorry, I am short on details but I will get it all written out eventually.

:Looks:
Now the part you have been waiting for the art. I am taking a sort of odd turn instead of trying to use insanely high resolutions in ags I am going insanely low. 160x100 low acctually. Why? Because I can friends...because I can...

Our first image is a rough-draft of the main characters room. No the game will not feature a cool transparent wall thingy. I put it in this image cause I think it helps understand the rooms proportions. Plus it is an example and looks cool so:

Next (and last) is again only a rough-draft of the hero. The main character:

(Seems I deleted the main char image...I'll put it back up sometime. I am redrawing him anyways.)

Thoughts or ideas are always welcome. If you are having any problem viewing this thread cause an image is too big or some wacky code I used please let me know. I will update with more images and info as it comes.

:News:

11:28 March 07.2003
I outlined the entire storyline start to finish. Mostly minor details but it has a start, middle and somewhat ending. All I need to do is work out some details in certain 'imaginative' areas then I will write out the storyline in entirity. I am also trying to keep my notes somewhat together (though no where near orderly or neat) cause I plan to scan them in and include them in the game. I may also release the storyline before the game is finished to get feedback though that will remain a big maybe.

To explain the storyline a little bit better (since the above explaintion does no explaining at all) The main character (Yet to be named) has an extreme overactive imagination. At some points losing control of that imagination (Similar to how sometimes you can control a dream and sometimes it is just going on it's own...) but you will have to learn what that is about later. The overall theme of the game will truley be bordem. I for one have been bored on more occasions then maybe a person should so I will pour all I know into the game. Though many symbolic and deeper meanings will be spread out just about everywhere in the game.

6:01 February 23.2003
I have spent some of my weekend working on UP45. Working on getting my ideas down on paper and working out the plot mostly. If you thought some of my ideas in Iso were neat just you wait. :)

10:42 November 30.2002
Call it a journal or designer diary if you want. For me it is just news. I plan to update this from time to time so you don't have to bother walking all the way over to http://www.sylpher.com and visit me.

Today I made an entire blueprint of the kids house down to the details (Furnitare, Toilets...) and just today I realised the sheer size of what this game will be. So I snipped a bit here and there (you will never notice). As well worked out the storyline a bit more. I may post the blueprint once it is in more understandable terms.

jannar85

Ooooh, nice...
Can't wait!

Really....nostalogic... :)
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Gilbert

ANother ISO project!11!! Dylph will be happy hearing this. ;D

Esseb

That IS dylph Gilbert. Lol.

Eggie

YYYYYYYYY EEEEEEEEEEE AAAAAAA HHHHHH!!!!

That one shot made me feel so nos...nost...brought back happy memories...so much so, I'm going to hook up my mega-drive again...or probably download an emulator because that doesn't involve moving!

kippytub!

Snake

Wow, Sylph. I think that screenshot and the hero look beautiful. I love low res and would prefer it over any other. Looks great, man.

The story (what you have given us) sounds very interesting. Viewing the world through the active imagination of a child will be fun, especially if you have things go hay-wire near the end. I can't wait to play a demo and most of all, the full game. You've got some great ideas, Sylph, keep 'em going.

Two thumbs up on the rough stuff!

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Hueij

So this is kinda like Calvin and Hobbes? :)

Sylpher

Thanks everyone.

Yes gilbert I am Dylph CLEAN YOUR GLASSES!

Snake:
Thanks. I like the Low res art as well because it makes detail and animation that much easier. Yet still proves to be challenging.

Yeah the game will be very similar to Calvin and Hobbes. What I am gonna try to do is group together all that really weird crap you would do when you were a kid and extremely bored.

Helm

Have the transparent walls in as an opacity object! And make them solid when the player isn't obstructed by them, with some schnazzy scripting!

The power of helm compels you!
WINTERKILL

Sylpher

I considered that Helm...though this may turn into a 640x480 game (maybe even 800x600 but probobly not) so if It comes to sacrificing the neat wall in the sake of performance it will have to go...but I will try it for the sake of greece!

Snake

Quote...though this may turn into a 640x480 game...
Nooo!

Sylph....

bah.

--Snake

rodekill

Stick with that ultra low-res and go for the transparent walls. It looks awsome.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Gilbert

If you don't use transparency, you can also use a pattern walk behind mask to simulate a transparent effect, a mask like:

_* * * * * *
_* * * * * *

Sylpher

heh ok I guess I can keep it like this...Just means it won't be made for a long time. My next project is gonna be 3d so I figured I would use this but if it is prefered at Ultra low res I am one to please the people.

The reason why I am unsure about the transparent wall is because even though you can see through it still sorta blocks your view...but I guess if I made it really really light won't be so bad.

Snake

It doesn't have to be that much lighter, but yes, I see what you're saying.

And glad to see you decided to keep it at low res ;) It looks awesome like that, man, trust me. That's what attracted me to it right off, then the ultra-cool story.

--Snake

JD

Love the perspective!

Sylpher

Thanks def!

Snake...I might (Might!) have to bump it up to 320x200 because I am having problems with character proportions at the low res in making the animations (kinda hard to explain but rest assured it is a pain). I really like the low res look cause it adds to the atmosphere in a way nothing else could (In more ways then one..). But I feel characters are just a little bit more important then atmosphere so if it comes down to characters Vs. Super low res...Characters are gonna win.

Don't fear...I will keep trying..I will not use my lack of talent as a crutch.

(I just wanted to bump this as a way to show I am still working on it...even if slowly.)

Snake

Any good words on this project, Sylph?

(please don't say you've abandoned it)

The 320x200 idea isn't bad, but I love the ultra low-res look. Do whatever you gotta do, man, just don't forget about this game  >:(

--Snake

Sylpher

Hey..Glad someone is still interested. As an update no this isn't canned. I have thought about it and jotted a few ideas here and there but for the most part it is on the shelf until later. It is quite a big project just in the graphical department (I dunno if you have ever tried to Iso an entire house and then some but it is a lot of work).

If it is any consolation to anyone looking forward to it I am working on something in the vein of using Old-School graphics in new ways. I am going even further back then what Unamed Project 45 has and you will just have to see it to know what I am talking about.

No details yet..sorry to be a tease.

Snake

Well, as far as the ideas you've got in store for the graphics, it all sounds very intriguing, but the fact that you are infact putting it on the shelf temperarily, frankly sucks. In any case, it's still good to know that you haven't abandoned it completely ;)

Can't wait to see what ideas you've got brewing, you teasing bastard, you.

--Snake

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk