The "Bands you have just discovered" thread

Started by DGMacphee, Sat 08/04/2006 17:57:09

Previous topic - Next topic

DGMacphee

Found a band or singer you never knew existed until recently? Doesn't matter if they're an up-and-coming newbie band or an old rocker from ages ago, post your discovery here -- tell us what you found and what you think of them.

For example... Just recently, I discovered Sigur Ros with their latest album Takk. Apparently it's a very popular album with a few tracks legally released online and being swapped around blogs. However, musically, I've been living under a rock for the last few months, so it's a new band for me. And it's very pretty album.

I also recently saw Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah perform on Letterman. Thought the singer was a little "screechy" but then spent a few seconds listening to the actual song and thought, "Hey that's pretty good." Haven't listened to the full album yet, cause at the moment I'm still listening to Takk.

Prior to these, last album I bought was Elbow's Leaders of the Free World back around November. They're one of my favourite bands, so not really a new discovery. But a bloody good album, their best release IMO.

share your stories
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

nihilyst

I once bought the album "In Absentia" from Porcupine Tree, because I liked the cover. I hadn't heard anything of them, and now I'm collecting their other albums. They really have a unique style, that I like.

cheers
nihilyst

Adamski

Sigur Ros are starting to get a lot of attention recently, I've heard them on daytime radio a few times now (which hopefully wont become a habit, good music doesn't deserve the dishonour of being played to death every hour for six months on commercial radio).

If you like them you'll want to check out Jaga Jazzist - What We Must, which is sort of a departure from their previous work and sounds a bit like a hybrid between Sigur Ros and Radiohead. Oh, and then listen to Jaga Jazzist's previous albums too!

Tuomas

Thanks for this goes to Haddas, as he linked me to a video a while ago. The band is called Hinoi Team, it's a Japanese eurobeat band...(don't ask)... and at the very moment me and my friends have formed an unofficial Finnish fan club to this band and I'm trying to create a website for our fanclub aside of the blog in my signature. Some of the peope here can tell you how annoying this is, but it's grerat fun, And these videos I found in the internet, I'veseen them all like 20 times in 6 days!

MrColossal

Peelander-Z and Gelatine

http://www.peelander-z.com/

http://www.gelatine5.com/

saw them both in concert on the same night and while Peelander-Z may not be impressive when you're just listening to an MP3 they are quite awesome live. They had about 10 people from the audience up on stage during the first song and they all were given pots and pans to bang and then they had more than that on stage during the last song and gave their instruments and parts of their costumes out to other people so they could go human bowling in the audience...

Gelatine was just awesome.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

ManicMatt

Sorry, I could never get into a band named after an animal based ingredient.

I never got into Seafood, either.

Evil

Don't mean to pimp a local band, but they'll be up and comming soon enough.

The Metrolites:
http://www.metrolites.com/

"The Metrolites now explore that sound with hints of surf, spy, crime jazz, spaghetti western, rockabilly, sci-fi, noir, and lounge music."

Only one track available online, but the CD is definatly worth the buy if you like spy/lounge music.

Gord10

I have just discovered Lacuna Coil, thanks to Vampire:Bloodlines. I wish I had known it before...
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

HillBilly

This is the bands I've been getting into the last few months:

Anal Cunt - Screaming equals music? I think not. I give this band 0.8/26.3 kittens.

Bars - Very cool. Good clean heavy rock. Or perhaps more in the metal genre? The world may never know.

The Berzerker: Most of their songs start out pretty good, but ruins itself by going completely incoherant. Oh death metal, will you ever change?

Dying Fetus: Death metal alá Cannibal Corpse, I would say. And like any other death metal band, the lyrics are useless, since you can't hear what the vocalist is screaming at the top of his lungs.

Lamb of God: Very nice metal. I'll be buying a CD with these guys soon.

Mindless Self Indulgence - I don't know what to think of this band. Can be awesome, but alot of songs is not at all my taste. I guess I'll try a CD soon.

Misfits: Most of what I've illegally downloaded from the internet, was either other bands or very bad recordings. Not impressed this far.

Mudvayne: When at heavy, grand stuff. Can be a bit wimpery at times. "Nothing to Gein" was a pleasant suprise, since I know who this song is all about.

Stormtroopers of Death: Speed Metal, very nice. Too bad it's hard to get any of their CD's.

TISM[This Is Serious Mum]: Takes a bit to get used to their style. First I found it a bit too alternative, but after a few listens I like it.

LGM

You. Me. Denny's.

Paper Carnival

Essence of Sorrow: http://www.myspace.com/essenceofsorrow I found out about this a couple of days ago. It's a nice metal band, not sure what style (somehow power metal)

Firefight: www.purevolume.com/fireflight I found out about this yesterday, it's a "meh" rock band with female vocals.

ManicMatt

Quote from: Gord10 on Sat 08/04/2006 20:32:42
I have just discovered Lacuna Coil, thanks to Vampire:Bloodlines. I wish I had known it before...

They've gotten so popular now that I saw their new album in the asda supermarket charts! I only really like a couple of tracks off their comalies album.

Tiki

Quote from: Adamski on Sat 08/04/2006 18:41:09
If you like them you'll want to check out Jaga Jazzist - What We Must, which is sort of a departure from their previous work and sounds a bit like a hybrid between Sigur Ros and Radiohead. Oh, and then listen to Jaga Jazzist's previous albums too!
Absolutely, positively seconded.

(Also, it should be noted that it has no lead vocals.  Don't be expecting Thom Yorkeish wailing ;))

[Cameron]

Arctic Monkeys, Icarus Line, Squarepusher and Prince. All great. LISTEN NOW!

auhsor

Marillion

They have been around for 20 years now, but I've only just heard of them, and they have quickly become one of my favourite bands. They had a (cheesy 80's love song) hit called Kayleigh in the late 80's, but a few years later after a change of singer they moved out of the public spotlight. In the last 10 years or so, they pioneered a concept of letting fans preorder the new album before it was recorded to raise the needed money to record the album.

They play progressive kind of music, that has changed a bit over the years. I havn't heard all their stuff (they have about 14 studio albums), but the first album I heard (and the latest one), Marbles, is simply amazing. every song on it is great, and I find it hard to name any weaknesses to the album. It's got variety from a couple of more poppy sounding songs to an 18 minute masterpiece. In fact 3 of the songs on the (double version of the) album clock in at over 10 minutes. Do what I did and download the album to give it a go... I ended up buying $200 of their music/dvd's after hearing the album and being so impressed by it.

Tuomas

Aushor, I also have Marbles, and I must say having heard the early ones with Fish still singing, I wasn't really that impressed. From the times of Kayleigh etc Marillion was one of the best prog bands there was. If you liked Marbles, I suggest you to immediately go and buy them or at least give them a listen. My personal favorite is Misplaced Childhood, which also has Kayleigh in it....

Or you could listen to an awesome compilation here http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=233

I'm just selling out one of my favorite bands here ;D

auhsor

Hehe well I have had a bit of a listen to some of the Fish stuff. I did listen to Misplaced Childhood, but wasn't overly impressed. I'll have to listen to it again, because I'll probably get into it then, but I still maintain that Marbles is a great album.

Rincewind

I have recently started getting into a lot of obscure as well as not-so-obscure late 70's/early 80's post-punk and similar stuff, so I've been getting into a lot of The Comsat Angels, ("Sleep no more", 1982 - Brilliant album) The Sound, Tuxedomoon, Teardrop Explodes, Chrome, etc... A lot of good stuff.
Also started listening to quite a lot of the old jazz-classics - Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus... I had a world of good music I'd missed out on there. :)

Helm

Tuxedo Moon were good, yeah.

Listen to Gorguts - Obscura and The Ocean - Here where Nothing Grows and Mare - Mare ep and Nomeansno - Wrong and anything by J. Hellborg.
WINTERKILL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk