DOCTOR WHO - TIME SNARE Big Update, Release Date And New Screens 7th Nov

Started by Duckbutcher, Wed 12/04/2006 13:55:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

The latest image with him trying to order a tuna and anchovy pizza from a Nazi sold me on this game.  Bravo.

Duckbutcher

22nd September....

The Demo is DONE and should be available below:

http://files.filefront.com/Doctor_Whoace/;5541156;;/fileinfo.html

Just click that link, then select 'download now' on the left. it's in a compressed .ace format so will need unpacking.

I hasten to add, this is the first time I've attempted to upload a file of this kind, so I hope it works!

I await people's verdict with baited breath...

chaos4700

Awesome work! Good solid graphics -- the TARDIS/Time Vortex sequence was quite lovely. Where your demo really shines is the dialogue! You've made distinct and interesting personalities for each of the secondary characters, but as far as the Doctor himself is concerned, the dialog is spot on! Douglas Adams would be proud. :) Not many puzzles, but of course it's only the demo, but the puzzles you put together were logical and intuitive. Maybe a bit on the predictable side, but that's not necessarily bad early on in a game. I did have an issue with sound -- none played during the demo, and I did get an error that the game couldn't initialize my MIDI device. I've been having some sound issues with my computer recently though, so that may not be any fault of your demo.

If you keep up this level of quality, you're well on your way to making a true gem of a point'n'click adventure. Keep up the good work!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

The intro and music have assured that I will play this when complete.  One thing that bothered me though was the doctor's talk animation, he keeps popping back his jacket over and over.  Perhaps you could just have him with his jacket back when he talks?  Aside from a few floating pixels in the animations here and there I think you've done a fine job.  Keep up the good work!

Kweepa

Yes, looks, sounds and plays excellent so far!
I like the paintovers of other characters and the cut and pasted backgrounds. The doctor in particular is a great sprite.
And some good snappy dialog.
Looking forward to the full game!

Two things:
1. you don't need to distrubute the wav files - they are compiled into the vox file.
2. you can use mp3 or ogg to reduce the size of the sounds and music.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Duckbutcher

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sat 23/09/2006 03:58:01
Two things:
1. you don't need to distrubute the wav files - they are compiled into the vox file.
2. you can use mp3 or ogg to reduce the size of the sounds and music.

I left the sound files there because some of them don't play when I take them out - yet others do. I don't have this problem with the Music files, so am a little confused.
Re MP3, that sounds like a great idea to get the file size down. know of any programs I could use to convert the files?

Duckbutcher

Quote from: chaos4700 on Fri 22/09/2006 23:53:54
I did have an issue with sound -- none played during the demo, and I did get an error that the game couldn't initialize my MIDI device. I've been having some sound issues with my computer recently though, so that may not be any fault of your demo.

Could anyone else let me know if they have trouble with sound and music? I'm having a bit of bother with the sound files myself at the moment.

Peder 🚀

AWESOME ;D.

Finally it is here :P.

Damn, I jumped while watching the intro!
Diddent expect that loud noise hehe.

This is looking really nice!!
Cant wait for the game to get done ;D.

Peder.

chaos4700

Quote from: Duckbutcher on Sat 23/09/2006 12:30:51
Quote from: chaos4700 on Fri 22/09/2006 23:53:54
I did have an issue with sound -- none played during the demo, and I did get an error that the game couldn't initialize my MIDI device. I've been having some sound issues with my computer recently though, so that may not be any fault of your demo.

Could anyone else let me know if they have trouble with sound and music? I'm having a bit of bother with the sound files myself at the moment.

I did try the demo on a completely different computer. I had to fiddle with the sound config a little bit -- specifically, I changed the sound to "Default WaveOut Device" and "Win32 MIDI Mapper," and then it worked perfectly on the second computer. I'm not sure what's going on with my computer, but I'm pretty sure it's a problem specific to that machine. I recently had problems with sound that wouldn't play for Flash videos, and the solution required some registry manipulation. Apparantly there are other unforseen symptoms (Moral of the story: be careful what codecs you install from the Internet. :P)

Both machines are using built-in (and therefore fairly cheap and low quality) sound cards, if that helps.

Kweepa

Quote from: Duckbutcher on Sat 23/09/2006 12:23:24
Re MP3, that sounds like a great idea to get the file size down. know of any programs I could use to convert the files?

Here's The Big List of (non-graphics) Freeware Programs:
http://americangirlscouts.org/bbc.com/yabb/index.php?topic=14371.0
I don't know why it's not a sticky topic.
From that list, I recommend Audacity to convert to mp3. Not on the list, I use oggdrop to convert to ogg.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I highly recommend dbpoweramp, since it has a plugin feature to support just about every encoder/decoder.  It's not free though, sadly.  For free, you might get the fully functional demo of Goldwave since that will let you convert between several formats.

Duckbutcher

OK, done a bit of revision based on file size and audio type! Here's a link to the much smaller new file:

http://files.filefront.com/Doctor_Whoace/;5541156;;/fileinfo.html

I've revised the original post so it also features this link.

Enjoy! and as always, let me know what you think. I've drawn up a list of things I'd like to do with this existing segment, among them are inserting at least one new puzzle, making the escape from the cell more difficult and re-animating the Doctor's talking animation.

I'm planning and sketching both the resolution of this episode and the first alien planet to be featured in the next episode. I doubt there'll be anything substantial for at least a couple of weeks though, so in the meantime keep letting me know what you think of the demo!

Peder 🚀

I decided to host this file as I hate having to click loads of links to finally get to the download.

so to anyone who also hates that here is the file:

http://arnjeir.borgarholt.info/ags/Doctor_Who.ace

EagerMind

Finally found a program to unzip an ACE file. Really, who's ever heard of ACE? :P :)

I didn't play very far into this, but I really enjoyed what I saw. I was having my doubts about the plot from the descriptions you posted, but after playing it, I did like it. The animations are quite well done, and I thought you did a pretty good job of capturing the personality of the Doctor.

I would have to agree with ProgZmax about the Doctor's talk animation. It's a little too much. But a minor comment so far.

Nice job!

Duckbutcher

Quote from: EagerMind on Tue 26/09/2006 16:52:21
Finally found a program to unzip an ACE file. Really, who's ever heard of ACE?

I hear you, but I don't have winzip on my new PC and now they charge for it, apparently. Otherwise it'd be a good old fashioned .zip file.

Re the talk animation, it now alternates between three different talk animations, so it won't be the same one over and over in the final version.

splat44

Hi Duckbutcher,

I recommend using winrar.

It'a demo that can be run during 40 days but after 40 days you get a nag screen but still runs without limit regardless.

You can also compress as a zip file which is much better then winzip.

We can also decompress ace file with winrar.

I hope this help.

Gilbert

Or, much better 7-Zip, it can compress to ZIP and it's free.

Duckbutcher

Thanks for the help and comments, everyone. When the game is finally up and running, it will be a zip file!

I've addressed some of the issues with the demo - the Doctor now has three talking animations for a bit of variety, the puzzles aren't so easy, and I'm working on cutting down some of the dialogue.

I'm not sure if there will be another demo incorporating these changes before the full game is ready, but watch this space.

In the meantime, here's a new screenshot.

fentongames

Wow! That's really cool!Ã,  :o

I love Doctor Who and I enjoyed playing the demo, though I think some of the dialogs between people were too long. But other than that, great demo! Looking forward to the full game!
Time Kid, coming this summer.

bitchqueen

hi, i just downloaded the demo but i couldnt install it! grr i also downloaded winace and winrar but both are telling me that there is a corruption in the file anyone else having this problem or know how to deal with it? im REALLY dying to have a go on this game ive been waiting for months!!! lol sooo frustrating! if not could anyone let me know if theyd be interested in emailing me the unzipped package? if so i will give them my address as i havent put it up for public viewing! thankyou!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk