Suggestion: zooming in on sprites.

Started by lo_res_man, Wed 12/04/2006 19:55:45

Previous topic - Next topic

lo_res_man

Ah, a suggestion. ( it might be already done :P)
in the sprite folder, the ability to zoom in on sprites. would make it easier to tell the difference between different sprites in a walk cycle and other animations
does anyone else think this is a good idea?
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

SSH

I know what you mean, something like Windows folders where there is a preview pane as well as thumbnails...

of course you can always copy/paste into another program but thats a pain...

Scummbuddy

Also, click on the sprites properties will show it in a larger format, if possible... it will show it at the resolution you imported at.... but I too agree that a preview pane would be a nice addition.

Sometimes you have just lines of sprites that look so similar. I've felt this "pain" before.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

lo_res_man

yes, but what I mean (as well) is a ZOOM fuction. for example I often do lo-res sprites. at 800/600 (reccomend resilution) they look TINY.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Mr Flibble

I would also appreciate such a function. It'd be useful for differentiating between very similar (and small) sprites.
As SSH says, it'd be a convenience more than anything else and in no way essential, but hey, I say bring on the gout.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

RickJ

Perhaps a better or easier solution would be to retain the filename (and possibily the path) from which it was imported and display that info in the properties window?

Gilbert

But that only help if you had sliced the images into individual frames already before you import them, if there're series of sprites (say, walkcycles) that're imported from the same file (say, a large sheet or an animated GIF), the path info doesn't help much in
Quote from: Mr Flibble on Wed 12/04/2006 21:25:14differentiating between very similar (and small) sprites.

RickJ

In the case where a number of sprites come from the same file, each sprite would have an instance number autoimatically generated (i.e. 0=first sprite taken from file, 1=second sprite taken from file, etc).   

Kinoko

I think a zoom function would be easier on the whole (but heck, I don't -know-... CJ?)  mostly in the sense that I think most people just need to see what a sprite looks like rather than the filename.

However, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of being able to attach a name to a sprite. Whether it be the original file name or not, having the ability to give some kind of textual identification to a sprite would be very useful for me. Even if it's only a few characters long, I could put a few characters as code to tell me something about the sprite, or the order to use it in... something. Right now, I try to be very careful about the order in which I import sprites but that can be a hassle sometimes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk