MODULE: Description v1.06 - Display hotspot description

Started by SSH, Fri 28/04/2006 16:05:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Romeo

Thanks for this really nice module. Good work! I'm using it in my game...

Cheers

Pinback

Great module! I've small problem though;

I need the description module to treat gui buttons and labels as though they are objects or hotspots, ie, have a
description for them. Been puzzling over it for hours, and searched around a lot and I can't figure out a simple way to do this.

Any help would be much appreciated!

DazJ

Is there any way at all of having the actual description text being on one line, rather than 2? I am using eDescLocationFollow and if I have a description that says for example 'Hotel Entrance', it is displayed like the following next to the cursor:

Hotel
Entrance

When ideally I'd like it like this:

Hotel Entrance.

I've messed with all kinds of settings but nothing seems to work? If it's something so obvious then I do apologise.

Dualnames

Are you using a gui control to display the descriptions? If so, then for a 320x200 resolution game I'm using a 100 height 261 width label. Perhaps yours is more confined. But I never had an issue with text cropping. Do you want me to copy my settings for it?

Also not wanting to go high and mighty on you, as the rules are fairly new and every post here works as a future reference, please refrain from necroposting, even if it's only 2 years.  :wink:
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

DazJ

No GUI as it's following the cursor so I'm quite baffled...:/

Sorry for necroposting :(

Dualnames

Of course it's following the cursor. The module works in 2 ways i believe, either drawing the description by the cursor using an overlay, or using a GUI, if you have not set it up, I believe by default it goes into an overlay. Regardless, there's a function called Description.OFWidth or something like that, by default it's 100 so increase it. I think it's on the game_start on the Description script (not the header), if such section doesn't exist (i can't tell I've customized it a bit) then just look up for the function.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

DazJ

dbuske

Go to Description.asc and go to the end of the script.   Change the width setting from 100 to up to 500.
This will make the default settings put the words on one line.
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

SSH

Thanks to everyone for answering this before I got here  ;)

I'm curious: surely the module thread is exactly the right place to post questions about the module. Surely necroposting rules don't apply to the Module/Plugin forum, do they?

Dualnames

@SSH: Well, there were no rules ever to this forum, except like now. They mostly exist to help people, not boss around.

QuoteIf the topic is fairly old DON'T NECROPOST. Either PM the author of the module or if said author is inactive, PM one of the moderators.

Agreeably most of the topics have been bumped for no good reason. There are no missing links anymore. I'm open to remove the rule, if you guys think it's annoying. For now let's see if it helps.

Snarky

I think like SSH that the rule is not appropriate for this forum, since a thread may be just as relevant to a new question or comment even if it is old. Whether or not it's appropriate to post in an old thread should be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Dualnames

Lasca

Hi! I need some help with this module! I guess I'm taking the step up from the simpler coding to a tiny bit more advanced, but there's still some basic things that elude me. And I'm still not fluent in the terminology used in coding, but I hope you'll still understand me.
If I'm using a custom cursor (like Usermode1), how, and where, do I define the verb that will show on the description?
For example, when the Look cursor is selected, the description is "Look at ...". So if I have a custom cursor, where do I define what to display?
Thanks in advance!
/Lasca

Disruption

Hi!

All the links are 404 right now. I see there are messages from roughly a year ago, even though the module was uploaded several years ago, so I imagine the links died 'recently'?
Can anyone provide the new links, or upload the module if available? I really would love to use it :)

Cheers!
Dis.

Dualnames

DarkMoe

This is exactly what I was looking for.

But links are down, any mirror please ?

Narehop

Quote from: DarkMoe on Sat 17/02/2018 20:21:06
This is exactly what I was looking for.

But links are down, any mirror please ?

I need too... all modules of SSH are down. It's to hard to found.

Deep Dark Fears

Quote from: Narehop on Sun 01/04/2018 22:02:48
I need too... all modules of SSH are down. It's to hard to found.

You can get 1.02 version from AGS Resources.

bx83

Doesn't work either. Does anyone know where any of version of Description is?

lorenzo

The one on this page works for me: https://americangirlscouts.org/agsresources/modules.html
Here's an alternative link from my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw3p6db7fvl8aa7/Description.zip?dl=0

It says it's version 1.02.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk