Coding Comp (May 1 - May 15)

Started by Akumayo, Tue 02/05/2006 00:15:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Akumayo

First, the technical stuff...

Here are the rules:
1. Must be open-source. We can hardly inspect your coding if we can't see it.
2. Must contain instructions for how to add to an existing game; this will obviously be easier if the scripting is done as a module.
3. Only use of the 3D, TCP/IP and maths plugins are allowed.
4. Must provide sample game using your code.
5. Team efforts are allowed, and you're probably expected to get help for sprites, etc from elsewhere.
6. As far as possible, entries will be judged on their scripting and gameplay rather than GFX, SFX, music, etc.
7. Winner will be decided by 1 week of voting at the end.
8.Ã,  Please add your entry to the wiki page upon entry.

Right then, now down to the good stuff.

We've already had a comp for turn based battle... but not everyone likes turn based, some people I know hate it... so...

This biweekly's topic:
Real-Time Battle

I want to see real-time battle systems, like in Legend of Zelda, even like in Mario/Sonic, just some type of battle in which the player and enemy do not have to take turns attacking, but can attack at the same time and dodge each other's attacks, such as in old space-style shooters, etc.

So, do your research and planning, build your system, and let's have at it!

Good luck to all participants (yes, I DO expect participants...Ã,  :P)Ã,  There will be trophies for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, assuming of course, that at least three people enter...

-"Nerezza Acqua" Akumayo
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

SSH

by the way, can people keep the wiki pages on the Coding Comp up to date with entries and winners, etc. please?

Kweepa

Who is "supposed" to do that? The winner or the host? Should it be part of the rules?
I notice you typed up most of that page.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SSH

Maybe we should have this discussion in the Wiki article's Discussion page, rather than clutter up this thread?

Hammerite

actually if someone makes a zelda-style thing i'd definately use it and vote for it too.
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

SSH

I vote for <insert anyone who enters today here>  ;D

Gord10

Guess I will enter this evening (I was busy with LitN 2, couldn't work for the competition). I will start working now, I hope I can finish it soon.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Akumayo

I hope you can enter, I feel bad that I didn't make a better topic though  :'(

Akumayo

So, what happens now?  Does the original maker of the coding comp take over the next topic?

(Sorry for making a bad topic again...  :'()

Rocco

hey akumayo,

it isnt a "bad topic", unfortunatly i havnt enough time these days to enter,
i like this topic very much, and I'm looking forward to someone who makes a descent entry.
so please dont feel bad about it,Ã,  its not your fault.
this competition has not so much participants, so it was a matter of time that in such a short time period of 2 weeks nobody enters.
i would say, let this topic open till someone enters (gord is on the way, i guess) who is automaticlly the winner, and can set the rules for another coding competition.

Akumayo

That sounds like a fine idea to me, but we should probably wait until SSH has his say, since he made the comp in the beginning.

Kweepa

I think the problem with the topic is that it's similar to several previous competitions.
Perhaps the topic could be more generally useful. One of the unwritten modules from SSH's list, for example, if there are any left.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SSH

I think I've done most of the interesting ones on the list already ;)

My suggestion would be for something like "car racing game" or "pull-down menus"

Akumayo

Well, I say SSH should start a new topic, since to everyone on the board, this one appears closed anyway.  I'm sure he can come up with something...

R4L

colxfile should give us his Secret Quest sword-fighting code!  :D

Akumayo

Nothing's happening, start a new comp before we forget about this one... I'm addressing no one in particular... but someone should start a new comp...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk