Text Anti-alias

Started by tiagocorreia, Tue 02/05/2006 12:42:41

Previous topic - Next topic

tiagocorreia

I've enabled Anti-Alias, but the fonts don't seem to be anti-aliased. Only on the dialogs GUI they are Anti-Alised. During conversations or even in a GUI taht uses the description module, they are not anti-alised.

See pictures below to understand what I'm saying
Image 01
Image 02
Image 03

GarageGothic

Antialiasing doesn't work on GUIs or overlays without backgrounds (or backgrounds with transparent areas). For that reason LucasArts speech isn't antialiased either since it uses overlays.

Edit: It would actually be possible to do a workaround using the DynamicSprits function by creating a text background from a screenshot.

tiagocorreia

A question then. Why the dialogs options are Anti-alised?

If you see Image 02, you will see that the dialog options are Anti-alised. The dialog options are in a GUI with transparent background.

But on other images, the Fonts are not Anti-alised.

Strange??

GarageGothic

You're right, this is something I wasn't aware of since I've always been using custom GUIs for my dialog options. I just checked it in my own game, and it seems that the default dialog options display does antialias while if you use your own transparent GUI it doesnt.

I assume this is something CJ could implement because nothing can animate while the dialog options are displayed.

tiagocorreia

I'm using my own GUI which is completly transparent.

SSH

Do you mean it has a sprite as BG which has transparent areas, or you have the BG colour of the GUI set to 0?

tiagocorreia

I've the BG Colour of the GUI set to 0.

Scorpiorus

Yep, it seems a custom dialog options GUI works just fine.

By the way...

Quote from:  AGS v2.55 changes:- Fixed anti-aliased fonts causing problems with dialog options.

tiagocorreia

Do you know if this is going to be solved for the text using Lucas Arts style games?

strazer

Although it's only recently been added to the tracker, I think it's a long-standing request, so my guess is: Not anytime soon.

However, I couldn't find any replies by CJ on the subject, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to post a suggestion in the Tech forum again to get his input (or a moderator could move this thread there).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk