SSH's Walkcycle generator v1.10

Started by SSH, Tue 09/05/2006 22:37:47

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

pslim

Wow, this is amazing. Brilliant idea. I haven't had time to look at it really closely yet, but I can already tell that it's got the potential to eliminate a lot of headaches, especially for noob animators such as myself. ;)

I'm kind of not as excited about the fact that the tooltips fade in instead of just appearing. I feel like they're teasing me.  :=

Also, is there any way to resize the windowed version? Running it in a window makes it easier to move between programs, but it's kind of hard for me to see that way.

Anyway, I think this is a really neat program and the fact that it was actually made with AGS just reaffirms how powerful the engine really is.  :D

SSH

Quote from: pslim on Thu 11/05/2006 17:10:00
I'm kind of not as excited about the fact that the tooltips fade in instead of just appearing. I feel like they're teasing me.  :=
I'll have to add a "Tooltip fade disable" option somewhere ;)

Also, is there any way to resize the windowed version? Running it in a window makes it easier to move between programs, but it's kind of hard for me to see that way.
Run the setup and turn on the 2x or 3x graphics filters...

AJA

Some bugs:
-When I change the values in the resize image dialog, the values in the "background windows" change too.
-The whole program also crashed when I tried to save the walk cycle (when I had typed the filename):
in Global script (line 72)
from Global script (line 92)

Error: String.Substring: invalid length

(I didn't put the extension to the file name.)

This seems like a very handy program, although it could benefit a lot from a higher resolution. Very nice work, SSH!

pslim

I crashed it when I was trying to use the pick color function on part of the transparency section of the bmp I was working on in the generator.

"

in RawGetRGB (line 21)
from Paint (line 349)
from Paint (line 398)
from Paint (line 456)

Error: DynamicSprite.CreateFromBackground: invalid co-ordinates specified
"

Steel Drummer

yes, up and down would be good. it would also be good if you could get body parts from folders rather than just the one, and if you didn't have to overwrite the old ones, etc. I also found that you needed to make the custom body parts larger for them to fit on the body and look good.   
I'm composing the music for this game:

SSH

v1.05 uploaded to fix these bugs...

Quote from: AJA on Thu 11/05/2006 17:17:32
Some bugs:
-When I change the values in the resize image dialog, the values in the "background windows" change too.
Fixed... in fact the module that handles this will be released as a separate thing...

-The whole program also crashed when I tried to save the walk cycle (when I had typed the filename):
in Global script (line 72)
from Global script (line 92)

Error: String.Substring: invalid length

(I didn't put the extension to the file name.)

Aaargh! Took me ages to work out this one: String.CompareTo return 0 if it matches, not 1!

This seems like a very handy program, although it could benefit a lot from a higher resolution. Very nice work, SSH!

Well, its down to AGS that it can't support highers resolutions. I was initially doing it at 640x480 but realised that AGS just can't handle pixel precision at that resolution. Maybe I can make a 640x480 version that just allows imported sprites and doesn't have the Paint functionality

Quote from: pslim on Thu 11/05/2006 22:34:33
I crashed it when I was trying to use the pick color function on part of the transparency section of the bmp I was working on in the generator.

Error: DynamicSprite.CreateFromBackground: invalid co-ordinates specified

Ah yes, I should have fixed any of these kind of bugs, now in v1.05

Thanks for the bug reports, guys!

Quote from: yodaman11111 on Thu 11/05/2006 22:45:02
yes, up and down would be good. it would also be good if you could get body parts from folders rather than just the one, and if you didn't have to overwrite the old ones, etc. I also found that you needed to make the custom body parts larger for them to fit on the body and look good.   

Well, AGS cannot access files outside the current folder (to stop people writing Viruses in AGS!) so nothing I can do about that!

As for making sprites bigger than the bones (assuming that's what you mean), yes of course you do. A person with bones bigger than their flesh would have bits of bone protuding, wouldn't they!

pslim

QuoteAs for making sprites bigger than the bones (assuming that's what you mean), yes of course you do. A person with bones bigger than their flesh would have bits of bone protuding, wouldn't they!

What I think he means is that, for example, if you have a bmp of a complete side view of your character sprite and you cut it into pieces to import into Walk Cyclist, the pieces won't line up properly. Rather than making them larger, I found it makes more sense to make them overlap one another. That is, when you cut out the thigh, make sure the lower boundary includes a few pixels that will also be included when you cut out the shin. The only exception is the foot, which needs to be just the flat part at the bottom or the bending will look strange. :)

Also, a question: the x and y offsets... I can't figure out what they're for. Initially I thought it was to help line up the parts but when I changed the values nothing seemed to happen. It would help if we were able to move things around a bit. It would also be cool if there were an option to save the walkcycle in body parts (although this would be a ton of bmps to save) because they require a bit of editing and it's easier to edit them in pieces than merged with what's below them (for example if the arms are chunky in one frame but the torso looks fine it would be a real help to be able to edit the arms and leave the torso intact). Just a thought. :)

Cownip

This things awsome, I was trying to figure out how to do a walkin person/creature a lot last week and having some difuculty(makeing my first game). This thing saved me, right in time. The only problem I ened up having on this was that I coulden't find the way out(lol), so I altf4ed. Is there another way out and I'm oblivious as usual, or do we need to alt f4 out?
I will accept any writing jobs, I can help you brain storm the whole main plot line as well tweak it and strengthen it, write the detailed parts and areas, help organizse ideas, and make scribts.

Haddas

As with all AGS programs, Ctrl+Q should bring up an exit dialog

SSH

Why woudl you want to quit?  :=

Sorry, I always ran it windowed so I just used the X... I'll add a quit somewhere sometime

Hammerite

this is fantastic. ive always had problems doing walkcycles but this has really helped.
although its a shame that it cant to up/down cycles. but hell, they're the easiest to do anyway.
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

SSH

Quote from: Hammerite on Sun 14/05/2006 15:44:43
this is fantastic. ive always had problems doing walkcycles but this has really helped.
although its a shame that it cant to up/down cycles. but hell, they're the easiest to do anyway.
Thanks. Your wish is my command... v1.10 now up with front walkcycle capability. Just click on the animation and hit the "Load XML" button, select Front.xml and there you are.

Also, I can confirm that Ctrl-Q has always does the normal AGS quit in this program.

Quote from: pslim on Fri 12/05/2006 12:07:18
Also, a question: the x and y offsets... I can't figure out what they're for. Initially I thought it was to help line up the parts but when I changed the values nothing seemed to happen. It would help if we were able to move things around a bit.
The offsets do work, the front walkcycle uses them, but they haven't changed from previous versions...

By the way:

The program has about 3550 lines of code over 10 modules and the global script...

Toefur

Quote from: SSH on Fri 12/05/2006 09:27:22
Well, its down to AGS that it can't support highers resolutions. I was initially doing it at 640x480 but realised that AGS just can't handle pixel precision at that resolution. Maybe I can make a 640x480 version that just allows imported sprites and doesn't have the Paint functionality

I think a 640*480 version would be extremely helpful. I don't plan on doing any of my painting in their anyway, I'm no pixel artist.  :'(

Awesome little program you've got here, though.

SSH

OK, this is really just the same program with the resolution changed, so I make no promises and won't support it. If you have a bug in it, please see if the same thing happens in the proper version before asking me...

..but.. here's the 640x480 one. You can see I haven't even bothered stretching the default sprites...

maccadon

Thank you for this awesome program!

I got one quiestion is there a way to make the character smaller?
I have choosen the 320x200 en i made smaller bodyparts, and adjusted the x and y but now the character walks funny.
I want to make a game with the resolution 320x200 so the character must be around the 60 high.

;D

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SSH

Yes, you'll need to change the sprites and bone lengths to be shorter

maccadon

lo_res_man

Could you make a back walkcycle? or could you do that anyway with the front walkcycle function with the generator
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk