The Youth Pastor Rescue

Started by royals10, Wed 10/05/2006 03:47:39

Previous topic - Next topic

royals10

Hi, as you can tell by my number of posts, I'm new to ags, but I'm learning fast. Here is the demo of my first game. All the graphics were done by myself and most everything was done in paintshop.

I havn't totally developed the storyline yet (which might be a bad thing) but the general idea is that you were on a youth activity with your church youth pastor when he was suddenly kidnapped. Now it's up to you to rescue him. I'm actually just making this as a joke to my friends and youth pastor, but i wanted to get some feedback before i get into it much more.

Just to show you how new I am to this, I'll ask this question. How do I create an EXE file so that I can post the demo?Ã,  :)

Gilbert

Quote from: royals10 on Wed 10/05/2006 03:47:39
Just to show you how new I am to this, I'll ask this question. How do I create an EXE file so that I can post the demo?Ã,  :)

Whenever you save the game in the editor, the compiled game EXE file is in the Compiled folder insider the game's folder.

royals10

Thanks for the response. Here is my demo link.

Right Click Save Target As

Tell me what you think about the puzzles, gameplay, dialogs etc. I'm open to suggestions on how to improve. Remember, this is my 1st game.

Ubel

I just played the demo and I really want to see the rest now. This is a good start, nice job for your first game. As a bit of advice, I would say some kind of intro in the beginning of the game would be nice. :)

Good luck with this!

royals10

Yeah I'll be working on one. I've just got to brainstorm a little....

Was the first puzzle to easy or obscure? I tried not to make it hard.

royals10

I've added an intro with a short cutscene so that things will make sense now. I've also changes the game slightly so that the first puzzle makes more sense.Ã,  :)

Go ahead, give it a try. Tell me what you think.

Download is 3 posts up.

EDIT

I'm modifying this post because I have a drawing request. If you want to help then GO HERE

Saberteeth

if you need help on a graphic, you'd better post in the Critics Lounge.

royals10

Ok thank-you I'll do that. Here are some more screenshots. Once I get an answer to my drawing request I can piece the rest of this game together.

ace monkey

it's good. i like it. But i have a suggestion: work on the graphics a little, (maybe get yourself a graphics tablet so you can handdraw things) it's not so much the graphics its how stuff is drawn. an example:

You draw a background like this:

an improvement would be:

because the river is thinner at the 'top' it looks as if its dissapearing into the distance. the bridge what you would draw looks wrong, it wouldn't be seen like that. correct these litlle minor things and you've got a great game.

royals10

Hmmm...you may have just inspired me to totally redo all 25+ of my rooms. What do you think of this?

[img=http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/8017/better3va.th.gif]

The only setback wil be to deal with scaling though...I've never even experimented with it.  :(

ace monkey

Thats A LOT better. (small tip: a horizon can go up 3 quarters of the page, as you've done in the new version, but remember the further up the page, the further in the distance it is)

Quote from: royals10 on Sun 14/05/2006 19:12:08
The only setback wil be to deal with scaling though...I've never even experimented with it. :(

don't worry i haven't eitherÃ,  ;)

seaduck

What's better in the new version: you removed the black outlines
What's worse: you use tools that are better left aside

Forget about spray tools, gradient tools and other fancy effects. They don't make good backgrounds, they just make them look flat and ugly.

What matters is correct perspective, composition, careful selection of colours and putting the details just in the right place (and omitting them elsewhere).

Steel Drummer

a word of advice (although I'm not good with backgrounds myself): don't use dark out lines in your backgrounds. Using the line tool with a small width would be okay, but a large, black outline looks bad. Unless you're trying to make the game look that way.
I'm composing the music for this game:

Darth Mandarb

No more talk about the graphics ... if you want/need advice on them, take it into the Critics Lounge please.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk