Bob Dylan tribute contest

Started by Andail, Mon 15/05/2006 15:05:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrille

Eggie: I tried downloading that mp3 by saving it to the HD but it came out only 17kb and wouldn't play. I also tried clicking the link directly but it just sent me back here.
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

scotch

Paste it into a new browser window, freewebs doesn't like referrers.

Chrille

Haha! Doesn't seem like there will be any flattering entries.
GASPOP software

Evil

Well, I started working on this last night and didn't really finish, so all I have to show is just a clip. My ISP has had a tendency to remove things from my web space for no reason, so if you can't find the clip here, then you can go to www.myspace.com/harryday and listen to a lower quality version there. I may finish the whole thing, but I didn't know if anyone else was planning on a (serious) entry.

“Baby, Let Me Follow You Down” isn't a song written by Bob Dylan, but it's on his self-titled album.

Chrille

I really think you should finish. After all Petter said it we should record however we wanted.

My entry was supposed to be serious. I recorded it with a cold and it sounded terrible. Recorded it again, altering my voice (combined with the cold it sounds quite funny). Also, I recorded it using my mp3-player which resulted in electric humming noises going on in the background, I ended up hiding it behind a echo delay effect.

Also, those ping-pong sounds are actually hands clapping and finger-snapping. Halfway through the song I forgot the last two verses and had to record the singing for that separatley. Wasn't very careful about syncing it properly, hence the ping-pong sounds.

Took about an hour or two to make it, would probably have spent more time had I not been in such a bad mood because of the cold.
GASPOP software

Evil

No, Chrille, serious was in reference to Eggie. I thought yours was rather imaginative, actually. I started about 2 this morning and after a while got sick of editing the second half, so I just cut the rest off.

skw

I dig it, Evil!

I've started recording my (serious) attempt at "Knockin' on Heaven's Door", as said before, but after a few times I simply went tired of the song and take up "The Sound of Silence" by Paul Simon. I ain't a good guitar player (our band guitarist was, unfortunately, busy at this week) and usually, every time I produce something I feel it's not a thing I can "publish" for everyone. So Paul Simon, also, wasn't a good idea.

Anyway, I promised -- I have to. Judge by yourself: shitty version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Skurwy (MP3, 56kb/s). Funny thing but I have the same trouble as you, Chrille -- a running nose while recording. :)

PS: Gee, I did it! :)
a.k.a. johnnyspade

pipan

Quote from: Skurwy on Wed 24/05/2006 10:55:08
Whoops.., I absolutely forgot about that, but gonna record it today or tommorow. Anyone else for extending?

Yeah, then maybe I will enter too. :)

Quote from: Chrille on Wed 24/05/2006 21:07:25
Bob Dylan: A simple thief?[/u]

I just did some research on Dylan considering it's his birthday and all. Sadly, I've found out about a very dark and shameful part of his career. In 1971, Adolf Hitmaker and his band wrote the song 'If You See Her, Say Hello' but never had the means to record it. They have played it live, but the only known (or remembered) occasion was in a gymnastics hall sometime in 1972. It seems Bob Dylan was there and heard the performance, because 3 years later it popped up on his album 'Blood On The Tracks', an album considered by many to be his absolute best. Whether he was there to see the ping pong-match that was in progress or if he'd heard of Hitmaker will probably not ever be revealed. It is rather obvious that Dylan stole this song without hesitation and most likely ruined Hitmaker's chances of a commercial breakthrough forever.

I would like to present you with Adolf Hitmaker & The Incompetent's far superior version of the song 'If You See Her, Say Hello'. Most likely recorded by accident by someone who was at the hall for the game.
http://www.gaspop.com/hitmakerdylan.mp3

Whatever happened to Hitmaker or any members of The Incompetents is still unknown. But they will hopefully one day get their proper credits for this marvelous song.

Dylan's version of the song is on 1975's 'Blood On The Tracks'

However, no matter how embarrasing this revealing is Dylan is surely worthy of a good 65:th birthday. Happy birthday you old thief!

Really? Where did you find this info (link please :))? I love Dylans music but this sounds terrible.Ã,  Ã, >:(

Edit: Nice entrys Skurwy and Evil. :) Did you come up with that version of Baby Let Me Follow You Down by yourself Evil? It is always interesting when people makes different version of songs (just like Dylan always do on concerts :)).

Eggie, your link doesn't work for me, have checked it yourself?
And if you know who you are,
You are your own superstar,
And only you can shape the movie that you make

Supertramp - Easy Does It

Andail

Whoops, almost forgot this one.
Ha ha, Good job Chrille.

Skurwy and Evil, terrific songs! Well done.

I'll let this float around for some more day if people are still (not likely) working on something.
Cheers

Evil

I'm also all for making this a fouthnight competition. I think it'll pull people out of the woodwork.

Brian Wilson
John Fogerty
Stevie Nicks
Burt Bacharach
Michael Jackson (?)

Though, I think artists with more songs makes it difficult as well as easier. The more songs they have, the less likely we are to know some of them. But, the more songs, the less likely we are to do the same song.

Maybe an "Artist's Birthday" contest. Tribute songs to an artist who's birthday is within the next two weeks?

Bluke4x4

TMBG better be one of the competitions later...

Tuomas

Quote from: Farlander on Wed 24/05/2006 14:23:37
2 competitions per month makes 24 per year... Where is the problem? I just count 8 between your list and mine...
What problem? I just pointed out there are dozens and dozens of good musicians that deserve this.

Nacho

Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk