Asterix & The roman underworld (demo available)

Started by Da_Elf, Fri 12/05/2006 04:12:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Da_Elf

Asterix and Obelix discover that not all Romans are honest soldiers. Some of them have plans of their own to get rich.
The graphics are painted in PS and are usually modeled after whats in the comics. This is just a game I'm doing for the hell of it and dont really plan on making money off of it. its just something to kill time with.

- graphics 70%
- puzzles 100%
- scripting 55%
- music/sound NA (dont know if i have time to do it)

::DEMO::

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=832

Im waiting for a mod any mod or anyone or even enyones pet who can help me solve my problem with my page for my demo

the characters are faaaar from done. this demo is what i have finished up untill 10/10/07. This is just the game up untill the end of stage3. there are 5 stages for the game. There will not be any more Demo's between now and the release of 1.0 of the game. The final version will have more rooms, more characters, more puzzles, more of everything i guess you can say hehe. My brother and i (who both grew up with asterix comics in our hands and the cartoons on tv) will both be asterixfying the dialogue and overall text as a last step

sergiocornaga

Mats Berglinn

Wow, for the first time an Asterix game! Awesome!
The screenshots looks so much like the comics. There's one thing I wonder about the second screenshot though: Is the fisherlady (Don't remember her name but I think she's the fisherman's wife) going to be part of the background or is she just there temporary but in the game itself she's a character with animation? Never mind, the demo have answered my question.

This goes to my "Games to Look Foward" List.

Candle

Nice backgrounds. walk area needs some work :)

dsg_charly

Hey, not bad at all.  :)

Just one question, backgrounds are ripped or created from scratch ? (let's get clear, not meaning insulting, just curious).

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

I looooooooooove the backgrounds! They are so looking good! I'm looking forward to playing this game! (I'll play the demo when it contains more than just bg's)

dsg_charly: I think these backgrounds are handpainted. I'm not sure, but they don't look like they're scanned or whatever.
Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Da_Elf

A: The walk behind areas like the post you showed are not set yet. there are a couple of other places where he is ontop of things where he should be behind them. That will come a little later.
B: The backgrounds are a mixture of riping and painting, basically i wanted to keep the feel of the comics so i took elements of the backgrounds and stuck them together, then in photoshop totally repainted over the originals. This way each background is 100% my own painting since the colors frm the comics are 1) faded and 2) inconsistant. (hehe my comics are between 15 and 25 years old) Take Vitalstatistic's house for example. I scoured the comics for a good shot of it like that however this background was pieced together from 6 different pieces and each piece also had the characters over the backgrounds that had to be painted out as well.

ps just thought id tack this on. this is the current background im working on that joins getafix's house and vitalstatistic's house. just to show how i usually do it. i dont bother doing anything by hand. i sketch everything digitally in PS (with a mouse since i dont have a wacom) then i will go over the sketch to refine the document layering everything up. typically i can have whywhere from 20-60 layers in a single (simple) image.

Thanks for the kind words. i also cant wait to finish the game. i only wish that when its finished i can somehow turn off my memories of making the game so that i can play it with the same joy i hope others will get from it.

big brother

Not the CL, but what are the smudges on the ground in the first two screenshots? I don't remember the comics having anything like that.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Afflict

Schweet asterix and oblix!!! its like one of my favourite books ever!

Its looking really kewl too anyway like it downloading demo..

PS : What are the smudges?

PsychicHeart

ASTERIX AND OBELIX :o :o!!!!
That takes me back a couple o' years!
I swear, i think it might've been cheaper to actually buy all the books,
instead of paying the late fee but, meh.
As for the game, it looks great, and the bg's really resemble the look
of the comics.
Keep it up!
Cheers,
-Fluke.
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Gregjazz

Great job on reproducing the style of Astrix and Obelix, but as the others said, the "smudges" on the ground are out of place.

Steel Drummer

sweet graphix! Hopefully it won't take up too much space to download ::)
I'm composing the music for this game:

Da_Elf

hehehe ok ok. ill remove the smudges. was just my way of trying to "dirty" up the dirt. but i guess i should indeed keep it to the original feel. thanks for the comments, I'm glad people are interested in this.

@Mats Berglinn about your little signature image, are you actually from the caribbean? hehe, just thought id ask seeing as how i live in Barbados (one of the caribbean islands)

Afflict

Anyway played the demo a little pretty much just your bgs slapped together with the demo char roger walking around no hot spots?

Anyway the BGs are very sweet.

Keep us updated !

Mats Berglinn

Quote from: Da_Elf on Sat 13/05/2006 01:02:33

@Mats Berglinn about your little signature image, are you actually from the caribbean? hehe, just thought id ask seeing as how i live in Barbados (one of the caribbean islands)

No, I'm from Sweden. That signature is just for the game I'm working on right now.

One question about the story (so far): Is it based on one of the comics or is it totally made up?

buloght

Looks excellent. I cannot wait to play this :) Goodluck.

Da_Elf

the story is made up. but having read all the comics over and over again through my life i think ive got a pretty good grasp in how to keep the feel of an asterix story

Andail

Asterix is one of my absolute favourite comics, so I hope you do a good job with your game. Uderzo is an extra-ordinary artist.

Sslaxx

Looks fun! What names will you use for the characters? So many different names, depending on where in the world you are. Yay for this, and I hope it lives up to Goscinny and Udzero's work.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Da_Elf

well, since its going to be made in english i will be using the english names

deftonesrule

lo_res_man

this game looks great! There have been other Asterix games, I thought this link might help you with character design
http://www.abandonia.com/games/en/72/Asterix&Obelix.htm
(mods, this is to be a reference, I don't am not trying to promote abandonware)
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Da_Elf

also if you check on the official site http://gb.asterix.com/  you will see there are quite a few games

MYKAYEL

Bai Karl

Good idea, but screenshot look like scanned wrom magazine.

Kweepa

Quote from: Stan on Tue 06/06/2006 19:54:54
but screenshot look like scanned [f]rom magazine.

That's a good thing, since they're not. :=
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Bai Karl

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Tue 06/06/2006 20:08:02
Quote from: Stan on Tue 06/06/2006 19:54:54
but screenshot look like scanned [f]rom magazine.

That's a good thing, since they're not. :=

I like the the game, do not get me wrong.

Da_Elf

im currently working on some characters. thats taking some time. expecially since all 10 of my computers are working on a project that puts food on my table and pays the bills and the only computer left is this crappy internet computer that can hardly run photoshop

Da_Elf

Ive been super busy reacently working on an animated film and will be busy for the next year as well. I did have some free time today though and i popped up photoshop and just finished off this background.

im having a problem though. its been so long since i last coded that i forgot how to properly use global variables. I want to set up a time system when the beginning time = 1 then after that everytime you enter a room it adds 1 to the time then when you leave the room it does a conditional check on the variable. if the variable is less than lets say 5 (  <5   ) then going to the next room it loads the daytime room. if the variable is between 5 and 10 then it will open a night room. then if the variable reaches 10 it will load a day room then set the variable back to 1. is this possible?

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Da_Elf on Wed 01/11/2006 22:14:19I want to set up a time system when the beginning time = 1 then after that everytime you enter a room it adds 1 to the time then when you leave the room it does a conditional check on the variable. if the variable is less than lets say 5 (  <5   ) then going to the next room it loads the daytime room. if the variable is between 5 and 10 then it will open a night room. then if the variable reaches 10 it will load a day room then set the variable back to 1. is this possible?

Yes it's possible.  Please post that question in the tech forums though!  Keep this thread about the production of the game!

Good to know you're still working on this ... even if slowly :)

Da_Elf

ok the demo in my 1st post was updated so that it had the day/night setup.

points that i know already hehe.
**i know the bridge one isnt animating, i havent done that part yet

**i know the nightime on the bridge shows the lights on in getafix's house but they are off when right next to it. (ive got 2 night shots for each of those. one with lights on and one with lights off, i just need to code the part about getafix being home to get the lights to work properly)

**i know the interior of getafix's house is the same during day and night (i was lazy and havent done a night one yet)

**last but not least i know the characer sucks, I'm still working on the animated asterix

**another last. im having trouble downloading the demo, if anyone else is getting a screen of gibberish when they click on the link, just right click on the link, save as, save the htm file then just rename the htm to rar. beats me why thats happening

gypsysnail

Hey the screenshots look really good and even though I dont know Asterix comics (I will be looking it up and reading their comics on the net to get an idea :):) ) and I can't wait to play this game. The thing is, how do I get the RAR file to play once downloaded? I have a few rar file games that I can't get to play and I am good with computers but the rar file confuddles me! New things to learn!!! Lol anyway tell me how I can get the rar file to work, thanks :).
Believe in afterlife! It's true in a metamorphical way ;)
Ken & Roberta - my inspiration!! 20 years.
U are what you love doing and passionate about - keep up what you love most.

Gord10

@gypsysnail: Did you try using the latest version of WinRAR? (and may I ask you how you can be good with computers if you can't open RAR files?)
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Da_Elf

you never heard of asterix?? shame on you!! hehehe
sorry about the rar file. its just that it compressed much better than the zip

gypsysnail

@Gord: careful man, dont be too quick to judge me or I will be quick to snap you :P! I may be a female but I am very good with computers, I just had a lapse of memory, my memory isnt that good at times when I have so much to do. I know what winrar is!! And there is no crime in me asking what I asked. Have you ever forgotten something temporarily too, Gord? It's Human Nature! :). The file just did not look familiar as it has been awhile. I built my own pc and I am quite good with pcs, using them for 27 years of my 27 years, so please do not judge me ok. Have a good day Gord! :)

Lol Da_elf, I knew you would say that :D It seems Asterix was very popular and I had a look at the official site and I am like wow and intrigued by the concepts of the artist. Thanks for introducing me to the comics.
Believe in afterlife! It's true in a metamorphical way ;)
Ken & Roberta - my inspiration!! 20 years.
U are what you love doing and passionate about - keep up what you love most.

Gord10

@gypsynail: Okay, I apologise. Yeah, I forget lots of things about PC, too.

[intopic] This game looks very sweet :) I look forward to play. [/intopic]
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Da_Elf

started this yesterday. unfortunately normal work has caught back up to me and i need to start working on my animation again so this is where I'm at in this latest background.

Nikolas

Da_Elf, could you maybe reduce the size of the last two pics, as they're huge and are throwing off my browser and probably all the browsers... I've got a 17" screen... :P

Other than that the screens look maazing, and haven't had a chance to download the demo... :)

Da_Elf

sorry about that. ive made them smaller and also made theÃ,  full size working version available as well which is actually larger than what i had posted before.
http://www.elfpro3d.com/Asterix/obelix2.jpg

monkey0506

Hey Da_Elf, I don't normally take the time to look at the GIP threads, but I was bored so I figured I'd look around. I must say I like your artwork. Somehow it makes me think of Dr. Seuss :D

CosmoQueen

KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

Da_Elf

Ive updated the demo slightly to include one of the puzzles from the game. ill give you a hint. try to find nevil's pet (im a harry potter fan so other fans will know what i mean)

Da_Elf

i hope this isnt concidered a bump but ive been going through my coding recently and realised that i was getting a crap load of if's and else's and then an answer hit me that when i went back and redid all my code using the idea it really cleaned up alot of stuff. basically the idea was that i had written the game in part depending on the major events needed to do. So basically i just added a variable called Part and set it to 1 for the beginning of the game so now my game just checks what part it is and what codes/rooms/characters etc etc to use for that part. basically i broke the game into 5 parts and im now working on part 2. I will release another demo for part2 which will have animated characters in it (roger is no longer in it hehe)

Sparky

Neat backgrounds. The style is very consistent. I for one am looking forward to seeing more as your work progresses!

Da_Elf

just to let you know a new demo is out as well as a title page (which is completed but not actually in the game yet. hehehe.) check the 1st post for updates

thewalrus

I just went to download the demo and the file was not found..... SOOO, I would check on that.....
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Da_Elf

i need to get someone with enough power to be able to help me out. the page didnt want to accept my password so i cant change any info on it. the "add your game" section should also have email options so it can email you your password incase you forget it.

auriond

I don't get it... if you're the main author, you're supposed to be able to make changes without the password, right?

Da_Elf

(link removed)
::EDIT:: I would really rather people get the game from the download section. PLEASE PLEASE can anyone point me to the right person who can fix my problem im having with the password on the page i have for my game in the demo section!!!!!!! PLEASSSEEEE!!!!!

here is the direct link
i was the main author but when you click the link at the bottom to make changes it does ask for a password.
says riiiiiiiight here "(NOTE: don't use important passwords as the admin can see them)" so i just need to find out which admin they are talking about and get them to help me out. HELP!!!!

auriond

Well, I downloaded it and tried it out anyway. Looks very nice, though the lack of a front and back walk animation means that Asterix tends to slide down or up a path quite often. The backgrounds bring a sense of nostalgia :) though I was disappointed at not being able to ente Vitalstatistix's hut, and I tended to walk right past Unhygenix's place without being able to stop and explore.

Da_Elf

yeah this is a demo. the 1st 2 stages of the game are playable. Ive got someone working on the animation of the characters now since ive been too busy with backgrounds and coding. My brother gave it a good testing last night and ive already got a bug list to fix. Dont worry, you will be able to enter the hut. Just not at this point in the game (vitalstatistics hut that is).
Spoiler

you better stop at the fishmonger and explore if your going to get by the 2nd task
[close]

Spoiler

sounds like your still playing asterix though. which means your still in the 1st task...find obelix
[close]

auriond

I didn't know how far the demo goes, so I just clicked around a bit...

Spoiler
I found Obelix sleeping at the bottom of a pit, but I didn't know what to do with him - talking to him didn't work and walking into the pit got me a message telling me that's not smart - so I left him there, wandered around a bit and thought I was done with the demo!
[close]

Da_Elf

Spoiler
Ah i had been giving some thought to how to guide your next action. Im going to have it so that when you look at obelix it says "Obelix seems to be out cold. He looks too heavy to lift out of that hole without magic potion though" (in your inventory will be his gourd for potion however it will be empty (there is the clue in itself for what you need to do next))
[close]

GreenBoy

Da_Elf

i need AGA to check his PM and get back to me to help me fix my page.

ill give you the link via a PM. actually ill upload the latest version. The thing is i want to monitor how many times its downloaded and the demo section download area will alow me to do that. me posting the link here on the forum wont let me.

Tom S. Fox

Darth Mandarb

Any more problems downloading please just send a PM so this thread doesn't get more clogged with "I can't download!!" posts! 

Thanks.

Da_Elf

The link has been updated.

Da_Elf

im sorry for double posting but i was curious if anyone tried the beta version and what their thoughs were on it. were the puzzles too easy (not that they were really puzzles, more like tasks) if this should have been posted in the critis section im sorry, i thought i might get yelled at for making a new post somewhere else for something thats here

Da_Elf

things are going slowly but the asterix demo has been updated with bug fixes and new backgrounds as well as finished backgrounds. I'm still in need of an animator though for character. Im getting worried though, the size if 58 megs unzipped and 18 zipped. thats kinda big :( and ive still got more to add for the final version. can i get some feedback on it

Scheherez

Whoa.....

Downloaded the demo, very cool!Ã,  Vereee, verreeeeee cool!Ã,  I was stuck for a bit after finding Obelix, but i worked it out...not bad at all!Ã,  I Like.....Ã, 

I WANNA GET IT WHEN IT"S DONE!!!!!! (begs with puppy dog eyes)Ã,  ;D

Da_Elf

((Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic)) YUP I AGREE!!!

its been a veeeery long time but ive actualy found some spare hours to do some more coding. The game has finally left stage3 and im now starting stage 4 (all thats left is stage 4 and 5)
i uploaded a new demo as well. i would still love to find a character animator as you can see by the demo.
still havent run through an indepth bug check but i know that as long as its daytime everything should be working.
need to scour the forum and figure out how to hide my icon bar in the title and restrict it to only the hand icon.

m0ds

You have no excuse but to finish this Mr Elf!!! With so much great art already that really compliments the originals then it'd be a shame not to see it finished. And with 3 out of 5 stages complete, there's no turning back now :p

I hope you find an animator. I'd have thought they'd be jumping all over a game like this.

Best of luck to you though man, I will certainly play once it's ready. And there's a demo?! Guess I better check that!! :D

splat44

Hi,

I understand this isn't critique area, start from smithy area, I go at the right and when I go back at left, it seems we go at a different area. This a bad design as far I'm concern.
I do the following warning:

(in room 1): Dynamic sprite 73 was never deleted

Therefore, make sure you design exitpoints where we are coming from

Good luck with your game.

Da_Elf

going left at the smithy puts you at the bottom of the next screen (chiefs house) going down there goes back to the smithy and going left goes to fishmonger. that area is a circle with all of those buildings facing eachouther. couldnt think of another way to portray that.

as for the dynamic sprite i dont now how to get rid of it. its an error created by the flashlight plugin

Da_Elf

i know ill eventually get back to this but i just dont have spare time these days.

auriond

Great! I've been wondering what happened to this game. :D

Da_Elf

problem is i forgot how to code. hehe. reuploaded the 1st post images since i realised they were no longer on my site and re-uploading the demo

Atelier

The graphics remind me of Tin-tin, for some reason, which is not a bad thing. :) Perhaps when it's finished you should release a version translated into French, because I believe Asterix is big in France.

Da_Elf

i believe the publishers of asterix also did tintin. i used to own every one of both asterix and tintin

Nacho

Same publisher = Same style? I didn' t know that :)
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

cosmicr

its probably also that the comics are roughly from the same era, and are both french and Belgian respectively, giving them that European flavour, hence why they also are published by the same publisher, which meant you probably saw them both together often, which is why one reminds you of the other.

Da_Elf

i always prefered the humor and the art of asterix though

Nacho

Asterix is french... Non Belgian. Tintin is much older than Asterix...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

miguel

Yup, Hergé created Tintin and did the drawings, while Uderzo did Asterix (Lucy Luke also). They have totally different styles of art, but became legends for BD lovers.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Matti

Quote from: miguel on Sat 11/07/2009 11:23:23
Yup, Hergé created Tintin and did the drawings, while Uderzo did Asterix (Lucy Luke also). They have totally different styles of art, but became legends for BD lovers.

Yeah, but Goscinny was an important part of the Asterix team. Most of the issues published after his death and written by Uderzo sucked!

Oh, and Lucy Liu as a sidekick of Lucky Luke could be interesting  ;)

Sslaxx

Goscinny's family being nasty to Udzero probably didn't help matters much, though...
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Snarky

Would have to echo others in that Asterix and Tintin have pretty different art styles. Tintin is drawn in the classic ligne claire style, while Asterix has a much looser, more energetic and charicatured style, similar to the Marcinelle school (Wikipedia calls it "comic-dynamic").

Quote from: Da_Elf on Fri 10/07/2009 00:57:06
i believe the publishers of asterix also did tintin. i used to own every one of both asterix and tintin

That may be true in some countries, but it's not the case for the original publishers. Asterix ran in the magazine Pilote and is published in album form by Dargaud, while Tintin ran in Le Petite Vingtième and Le Soir before getting his own magazine, and is published in album form by Casterman.

Quote from: miguel on Sat 11/07/2009 11:23:23

Actually, Lucky Luke was created and illustrated by Morris, not Uderzo, although it was written by Goscinny for a long time.

All of these are great series (along with others such as Spirou and Valerian & Laureline), and perfect source material for adventure games.

Da_Elf

oh my.. lucky luke. that takes me back. that would be a cool AGS game

miguel

QuoteActually, Lucky Luke was created and illustrated by Morris, not Uderzo, although it was written by Goscinny for a long time
you're right Snarky, I completely mixed everything.
When one has a IQ as high as mine things like this can happen.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 11/07/2009 17:17:21
Actually, Lucky Luke was created and illustrated by Morris, not Uderzo, although it was written by Goscinny for a long time.

Iznogoud is another great one by Goscinny.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk