Asterix & The roman underworld (demo available)

Started by Da_Elf, Fri 12/05/2006 04:12:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Da_Elf

Asterix and Obelix discover that not all Romans are honest soldiers. Some of them have plans of their own to get rich.
The graphics are painted in PS and are usually modeled after whats in the comics. This is just a game I'm doing for the hell of it and dont really plan on making money off of it. its just something to kill time with.

- graphics 70%
- puzzles 100%
- scripting 55%
- music/sound NA (dont know if i have time to do it)

::DEMO::

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=832

Im waiting for a mod any mod or anyone or even enyones pet who can help me solve my problem with my page for my demo

the characters are faaaar from done. this demo is what i have finished up untill 10/10/07. This is just the game up untill the end of stage3. there are 5 stages for the game. There will not be any more Demo's between now and the release of 1.0 of the game. The final version will have more rooms, more characters, more puzzles, more of everything i guess you can say hehe. My brother and i (who both grew up with asterix comics in our hands and the cartoons on tv) will both be asterixfying the dialogue and overall text as a last step

sergiocornaga

Mats Berglinn

Wow, for the first time an Asterix game! Awesome!
The screenshots looks so much like the comics. There's one thing I wonder about the second screenshot though: Is the fisherlady (Don't remember her name but I think she's the fisherman's wife) going to be part of the background or is she just there temporary but in the game itself she's a character with animation? Never mind, the demo have answered my question.

This goes to my "Games to Look Foward" List.

Candle

Nice backgrounds. walk area needs some work :)

dsg_charly

Hey, not bad at all.  :)

Just one question, backgrounds are ripped or created from scratch ? (let's get clear, not meaning insulting, just curious).

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

I looooooooooove the backgrounds! They are so looking good! I'm looking forward to playing this game! (I'll play the demo when it contains more than just bg's)

dsg_charly: I think these backgrounds are handpainted. I'm not sure, but they don't look like they're scanned or whatever.
Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Da_Elf

A: The walk behind areas like the post you showed are not set yet. there are a couple of other places where he is ontop of things where he should be behind them. That will come a little later.
B: The backgrounds are a mixture of riping and painting, basically i wanted to keep the feel of the comics so i took elements of the backgrounds and stuck them together, then in photoshop totally repainted over the originals. This way each background is 100% my own painting since the colors frm the comics are 1) faded and 2) inconsistant. (hehe my comics are between 15 and 25 years old) Take Vitalstatistic's house for example. I scoured the comics for a good shot of it like that however this background was pieced together from 6 different pieces and each piece also had the characters over the backgrounds that had to be painted out as well.

ps just thought id tack this on. this is the current background im working on that joins getafix's house and vitalstatistic's house. just to show how i usually do it. i dont bother doing anything by hand. i sketch everything digitally in PS (with a mouse since i dont have a wacom) then i will go over the sketch to refine the document layering everything up. typically i can have whywhere from 20-60 layers in a single (simple) image.

Thanks for the kind words. i also cant wait to finish the game. i only wish that when its finished i can somehow turn off my memories of making the game so that i can play it with the same joy i hope others will get from it.

big brother

Not the CL, but what are the smudges on the ground in the first two screenshots? I don't remember the comics having anything like that.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Afflict

Schweet asterix and oblix!!! its like one of my favourite books ever!

Its looking really kewl too anyway like it downloading demo..

PS : What are the smudges?

PsychicHeart

ASTERIX AND OBELIX :o :o!!!!
That takes me back a couple o' years!
I swear, i think it might've been cheaper to actually buy all the books,
instead of paying the late fee but, meh.
As for the game, it looks great, and the bg's really resemble the look
of the comics.
Keep it up!
Cheers,
-Fluke.
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Gregjazz

Great job on reproducing the style of Astrix and Obelix, but as the others said, the "smudges" on the ground are out of place.

Steel Drummer

sweet graphix! Hopefully it won't take up too much space to download ::)
I'm composing the music for this game:

Da_Elf

hehehe ok ok. ill remove the smudges. was just my way of trying to "dirty" up the dirt. but i guess i should indeed keep it to the original feel. thanks for the comments, I'm glad people are interested in this.

@Mats Berglinn about your little signature image, are you actually from the caribbean? hehe, just thought id ask seeing as how i live in Barbados (one of the caribbean islands)

Afflict

Anyway played the demo a little pretty much just your bgs slapped together with the demo char roger walking around no hot spots?

Anyway the BGs are very sweet.

Keep us updated !

Mats Berglinn

Quote from: Da_Elf on Sat 13/05/2006 01:02:33

@Mats Berglinn about your little signature image, are you actually from the caribbean? hehe, just thought id ask seeing as how i live in Barbados (one of the caribbean islands)

No, I'm from Sweden. That signature is just for the game I'm working on right now.

One question about the story (so far): Is it based on one of the comics or is it totally made up?

buloght

Looks excellent. I cannot wait to play this :) Goodluck.

Da_Elf

the story is made up. but having read all the comics over and over again through my life i think ive got a pretty good grasp in how to keep the feel of an asterix story

Andail

Asterix is one of my absolute favourite comics, so I hope you do a good job with your game. Uderzo is an extra-ordinary artist.

Sslaxx

Looks fun! What names will you use for the characters? So many different names, depending on where in the world you are. Yay for this, and I hope it lives up to Goscinny and Udzero's work.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Da_Elf

well, since its going to be made in english i will be using the english names

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk