The music thread

Started by pipan, Thu 25/05/2006 22:05:14

Previous topic - Next topic

pipan

I am new to these forums and would like to see what bands everybody here is listening to. I myself listen mostly to rock music from the 60's and 70's, the time when rock music was evolving from all kinds of music genres with the result of very interesting and experimental music, I love it! :)

My favorite bands are:

1. Supertramp
2. The Band
3. The Doors
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Neil Young

I leave this topic open for any discussions concerning music.
And if you know who you are,
You are your own superstar,
And only you can shape the movie that you make

Supertramp - Easy Does It

Evil

This has already been done before and is somewhere in the Popular Threads forum. There's several around, so I won't give you any links.

MrColossal

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=24331.0

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=21561.0

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=25970.0

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=11802.0

Here are a few threads from the past, the majority of forum goers posted in there so give that a read if you want to know what people like. Please don't post in them though unless you really feel you need too. If you like some music someone else likes, PM them maybe and let them know.

Maybe
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

pipan

Quote from: MrColossal on Thu 25/05/2006 22:22:14
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=24331.0

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=21561.0

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=25970.0

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=11802.0

Here are a few threads from the past, the majority of forum goers posted in there so give that a read if you want to know what people like. Please don't post in them though unless you really feel you need too. If you like some music someone else likes, PM them maybe and let them know.

Maybe

Wow, this is the most picky forum I've ever visit.

First of all, only one of those topics concerned music bands and that was about recently discovered bands, I would like to know what everybodys favorite bands are. I really don't think this is a spam topic.

Edit: Why shouldn't I post there if I have something to say?

Quote from: Evil on Thu 25/05/2006 22:20:41
This has already been done before and is somewhere in the Popular Threads forum. There's several around, so I won't give you any links.
Nope, not in the Puplar Threads, I have searched there.

Paper Carnival

I listen to metal, classical, orchestrated, (some) opera music and the likes. I don't have a favourite band, but right now I mostly listen to Veni Domine, Narnia, Saviour Machine and Theocracy.

ManicMatt

Quote from: pipan on Thu 25/05/2006 22:29:35

Because we are oppressed by the moderators under strict rules. And like mindless puppets, we obey. (Occasionally)

Seriously though, they just don't like having old threads popping up clogging away the new ones. Or something like that. I've been here for ages and I still don't get it.

Oh, right, my favourate bands:

Jesus Jones
Stabbing Westward
The Wonder Stuff
The Faint
The Soup Dragons

This really doesn't begin to define the genres I listen to though.

pipan

Quote from: ManicMatt on Thu 25/05/2006 23:14:51

Because we are oppressed by the moderators under strict rules. And like mindless puppets, we obey. (Occasionally)

Seriously though, they just don't like having old threads popping up clogging away the new ones. Or something like that. I've been here for ages and I still don't get it.

Oh, right, my favourate bands:

Jesus Jones
Stabbing Westward
The Wonder Stuff
The Faint
The Soup Dragons

This really doesn't begin to define the genres I listen to though.

Ok, seems like I'll have to have a little talk with the mods then. :p

I haven't even heard of any of those bands.

Kweepa

Wow, this is the most picky forum I've ever visit.

I think you're getting picked on because it was your sixth post, and so the thread is a bit of a non sequitur. I don't expect everyone I walk past at the grocery store to give me a list of their favourite bands -- nor am I interested.

I haven't even heard of any of those bands.
I guess you didn't live in Manchester in the 80s. :=
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Squinky

It's a friendly helpful forum, with pretty easy going rules. I know a good deal of forums where a mod would lock this post and make fun of your momma in the process, as opposed to helping you find relevent threads and giving you friendly advice (As Mr. C did).

Edit to be on topic:

I listen to a variety of music, never have tied my self dwon to any specific genre, but tend to like things like REM or They might be giants a little more then the standard stuff.

pipan

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Thu 25/05/2006 23:24:25

I think you're getting picked on because it was your sixth post, and so the thread is a bit of a non sequitur. I don't expect everyone I walk past at the grocery store to give me a list of their favourite bands -- nor am I interested.

My sixth post? So what? What does "non sequitur" mean (I'm swedish)?

I don't expect everybody on these forums to give me a list of their favorite bands -- but I am interested, see, that's how you and I are different.

Helm

non sequitur is in this case meaning 'a bit random, not following' I think.

I listen to a lot of music. Some of my all-time favourites are Psychotic Waltz, Watchtower, early Anathema, Fates Warning, In The Woods..., Marillion, King Crimson.
WINTERKILL

Nikolas

Well... now Pipan it's your 12 th post. well done!

Guys this is ridiculous! Quit the bullshiting please. Moreover I don't see how someone new here would like to browse 120+ pages of threads to find out what our favourite bands are. Nore that he should search for it, as there are members who may have never seen this kind of thread before.

Generally this kind of threads will come up every once in 5-6 months, die off and up again after half a year. This is how it goes. And they're not that many...

OH MY! I'm becoming a knowledgable forum member! Oh my!  ;D

I like

Queen
Radiohead
dEUS
KORN
NIN

and lot's more...

Squinky

Quit bullshiting? You lost me.

Lets replay and see where the bullshitting would be:

1.Pipan posts his question
2.Mr. C (a moderator) points him to previous threads and explains some of our forum preferences.
4.Pipan makes statements which cause further discussion on the issue
5.We discuss
6. You come and say we need to stop.
7. I post again because I have too much time on my hands.

Yeah, I'm still lost.

Nikolas

Actualy I'm lost as well.

I won't edit my post, since it needs to remain there as proof to why someone should check his posts (and actually other peoples posts) before clicking on the 'POST' button.

Anyway... ooopps.

But I really think that once in a while these threads are bound to come up. And new members are bound to answer these questions. But I do seem to remember that there is a thread about favourite bands and stuff, and it should be sticky or somethign simmilar. And yes I haven't checked Erics' links, I know.

oops, once again :) sorry

Exorph

It's really hard to pick just a few bands.

My favorites tend to shift a lot, and at the moment I'd say something like this (in no particular order):

Refused
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Sigur Rós
Radiohead
Isis

Kinoko

I think the whole point is that there are new people to the forum all the time and we don't want them all doing a "What's your favourite band?" post when they come in.

I don't think pipan did anything wrong, it was a perfectly fine question and there isn't an obvious alternative. Do we have a sticky thread where everyone gives a little bio on themselves? If not, maybe that'd be a good idea.

Anyway, my favourite bands are:

Queen
Kiss
David Bowie
Alice Cooper
The Darkness
Scissor Sisters
Space
Powderfinger
Regurgitator
Outkast
Black Eyed Peas
Weird Al
Brandy

...and more. (I just went down my iTunes list more or less)

But lately my favourite bands are all Japanese.

Erenan

The music I listen to most is my own. That's primarily because I listen to it to search for ways to tweak it.

Others' music...

Biggies:

King Crimson
Ayreon
Symphony X
Blind Guardian

Mediumies:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Dream Theater

Sometimesies:

Gentle Giant
Blue Öyster Cult
Meat Puppets
Tony Levin Band
California Guitar Trio
The Bunker

gameboy

I listen to very many different genres...

System Of A Down
Slipknot
Jesu
Korn
Mudvayne
Nirvana
Prodigy
Aphex Twin

These are just some bands I listen.

Of course, I listen to a lot of other stuff, too.
Much Estonian music too, but you possibly don't know these.

Also the music I listen is depending on my mood.

I really have a weird musical taste, don't I?

maaark

You can check what I like here: http://www.last.fm/user/maaark/  :P

For the past year I've been mainly listening to stonerrock/doom/spacerock (from QOTSA to Orange Goblin to Hawkwind) and a lot of softer stuff, like dEUS (I know the singer, Nikolas! He's a cool guy, and the whole band is just great!), Radiohead, etc.
Also a lot of psy rock/grunge; Screaming Trees, Sun Dial, etc.

I hate Nirvana though... all sounds the same. If you think Nirvana is good, listen to Screaming Trees. They're better. And they got Mark Lanegan... Great singer.

Andail

Um, the reason we save threads from the past is so we can revisit them and post in them. Which is especially the case with Popular Threads.
Use the search function to find these threads, or follow the links Mr Colossal so kindly offered.

EDIT:
Moved this to popular, in case people still wanna chat about it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk