The music thread

Started by pipan, Thu 25/05/2006 22:05:14

Previous topic - Next topic

pipan

Quote from: maaark on Sat 27/05/2006 12:03:58
I hate Nirvana though... all sounds the same. If you think Nirvana is good, listen to Screaming Trees. They're better. And they got Mark Lanegan... Great singer.

I am not a huge fan of Nirvana but I think they are pretty good. So, are you saying I should like Screaming Trees if I like Nirvana? I'll try to check them out. Know of any web site were you can download there songs for free?
And if you know who you are,
You are your own superstar,
And only you can shape the movie that you make

Supertramp - Easy Does It

Paper Carnival

I checked if they are on myspace for you, here they are: http://www.myspace.com/screamingtrees this is Screaming Trees

3 years ago I'd love this kind of music, but now I've moved on ;D they are still ok to listen to, though

Hammerite

what dyou mean 'moved on'?
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Paper Carnival

I mean, I listen to other styles of music now, rock isn't really my thing anymore, now a rock band has to be very special for me to like it.

ManicMatt

Some people's taste in music seems to change when they get older.

I still like the same music as I did when I was eight, except I don't like inspiral carpets anywhere near as much as I did then.

However my tastes did widen into different genres. I exposed myself to heavy stuff until I found artists I like, for example.

Ten years ago I wouldn't have liked "Amen", "KMFDM" or "Idiot Pilot".

Al_Ninio

Quote from: Exorph on Sat 27/05/2006 02:09:27
It's really hard to pick just a few bands.

My favorites tend to shift a lot, and at the moment I'd say something like this (in no particular order):

Refused
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Sigur Rós
Radiohead
Isis

Let's get hitched.

Edit: Idiot Pilot? Heavy? What?

Tuomas

It's not easy listing all good bands, but my personal, and biggest favorites, well, here goes, from best to the second etc:

-Jethro Tull
-The Flower Kings
-Genesis
-Yes
-Wigwam
-Jefferson Airplane

hmm, I realize how progrock oriented my list is :D Well big deal, I just love these bands. Notice that this list doesn't include some of the best records or the band that made the best song ever :)

ManicMatt

Pre or post Phil Collins Genesis? Or both?

I'm not a fan, just taking interest.

Hammerite

I think you mean Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins was always a member I think.
BTW, my favourite bands:
*Smashing Pumpkins
*Nirvana
*Sonic Youth
*Radiohead
*Bloc Party
*The Cure

and probably some more as wel
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

pipan

Quote from: Guybrush Peepwood on Wed 31/05/2006 22:12:54
I checked if they are on myspace for you, here they are: http://www.myspace.com/screamingtrees this is Screaming Trees

3 years ago I'd love this kind of music, but now I've moved on ;D they are still ok to listen to, though
This is really not my kind of music, I can't stand that guitar. I think it was pretty boring music, Nirvana is much better. :)

Quote from: ManicMatt on Thu 01/06/2006 14:42:12
Some people's taste in music seems to change when they get older.

I still like the same music as I did when I was eight, except I don't like inspiral carpets anywhere near as much as I did then.

However my tastes did widen into different genres. I exposed myself to heavy stuff until I found artists I like, for example.

Ten years ago I wouldn't have liked "Amen", "KMFDM" or "Idiot Pilot".

My music taste have changed alot the last 2 years, 3 years ago my favorite band was Iron Maiden and I was totally into heavy metal, now I never listen to that music. I listened to Bob Dylan too though who I still listen to but I think that's the only artist I still listen to.
And if you know who you are,
You are your own superstar,
And only you can shape the movie that you make

Supertramp - Easy Does It

gameboy

QuoteThis is really not my kind of music, I can't stand that guitar. I think it was pretty boring music, Nirvana is much better. :)

I agree. Nirvana really is much better. :)

rtf

Favorite genre is Jazz (real jazz, not smooth jazz).
Guess I should list some people I listen to-

(Insert famous jazz guy here:)
Wes Montgomery (the guy in my avatar).
Joe Pass
Charles Mingus
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Charlie Parker
Wayne Shorter

And some newer guys too, like Gordon Goodwin's Band, Gary Urwin's Band, Pat Longo's Band

But I listen to anything I can get my hands on.  Lately I've been getting into symphonic goth metal (nightwish, epica, et al).
I fail at art.

radiowaves

hrvatski pwns everything!
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

Proletarian

Ok, here's some of my favourites.

-Tasavallan Presidentti
-Wigwam
-Pekka Pohjola
-Emerson, Lake&Palmer
-Jukka Tolonen
-Yes
-Genesis
-Petri Pettersson
-Dave Brubeck Quartet

Lately I've started to listen to finnish music more and more. Only 4 of the bands above are foreign. Maybe I'm just bound to this melancholy... I'm also started to listen to classical music.

Hey, releasethefrogs! If you like jazz, try Jukka Tolonen, Pekka Pohjola, Wigwam or Tasavallan Presidentti. They're all great jazz oriented prog bands. And if you don't like the prog in it, try Eero Koivistoinen or Olli Ahvenlahti. All finnish :P

Tuomas

Quote from: Hammerite on Fri 02/06/2006 19:02:30
I think you mean Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins was always a member I think.

gheez, how old is this thread? Anyway, Phil Collins did not play in the first 2 albums, but I don't think that can bve referred to as post Collins :D but yes, I have all the albums

Helm

Genesis are hit and miss, and excretable in my opinion after Gabriel left.
WINTERKILL

FSi++

I'm still in avant garde stuff... And Death Metal, so for me it's stuff like (in no order)
- Gorguts (the very definition of Techno Death)
- Naked City (the very definition of... well, sure thing it's the very definition of something, someone could name it Avantgarde Jazzcore Grind but not myself)
- Necrophagia (the most killing band - to listen on BIG speakers / headphones)
- Pungent Stench (Particularly Dirty Rhymes and Psychotronic Beats album, for it's Boogie/Brutal Death and bad Pink Floyd puns - DO NOT try later albums, they SUCK)
- Carcass (the classical in British Death Metal, everything from Necroticism, especially Heartwork)

I usually do not listen to *dumb* death (like Cannibal Corpse, SFU, whatever) nor "poser" one (COF, Children of Bodom, In Flames, etc). Though I did an exception for Dying Fetus (They have some neat tracks, and the growls are one of the best on scene) of former ones and for Arch Enemy (I mean, MAAN, it's MIKE AMOTT's!) of latter ones.

m0ds

Though I used to subconciously listen to metal and not really like it, all the music my brother used to play when I was a kid is now my favourite! When I was younger I was into dance & chart music and some rock, bands like Queen, Phil Collins, Genesis, Michael Jackson... I still like all that but now I love metal much much more :p

Bands like;
Metallica, Pantera, Sepeltura, Lamb of God, Soulfly, Nirvana etc

And other artists I enjoy listening to are:
Lenny Cravitz, Hendrix, Bob Marley, Primus, some Eminem, Nicky Blackmarket etc

And lastly classical music, film score composers etc.

Hamelkart

Dire Straits, Talking Heads, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Mike Oldfield. The Bambi Molesters, Azra...

m0ds

Air guitarists can now wear a shirt which plays the music for you! LOL

http://www.csiro.au/csiro/content/file/pfk8,,.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk