Quizzening: Monkey Island Special - Winner Announced

Started by Khris, Mon 12/06/2006 16:20:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Khris

The Rules (tm)
* This is a quiz about adventure gaming trivia. Each installment has about a dozen questions with a common theme, about well-known adventure games, either classics or from the more famous "indie" games. Suggested themes include but are not limited to inventory items, music, easter eggs or forest creatures.
* Each question is worth two points if correct, one for a partial answer, and three if you have a better answer than the person who made up the question.
* This thread is for hints and feedback, as well as noting your participation. Please send answers by PM to prevent people from peeking. The quizmaster will post all answers when the quiz ends.
* As with most activities, the winner of this quiz will be the quizmaster of the next one. In case of a tie, the person who submitted earlier is considered the winner.
* I'm setting a deadline of a week, then give me a few days to look over all answers, and give the winner a few days to come up with something new. The result should be a biweekly quiz, or thereabouts.

This week's Quizzening: Monkey Island Special
Since probably almost everybody has played the first three games, there should be enough people able to enter this one. The second and third game both had a light mode, however, all questions apply to the normal modes.

If you haven't played all three, please tell me in your PM, I'll then try to adjust your score accordingly so you won't have a disadvantage.

-The Secret of Monkey Island-

1. Named after a type of noodle, they provide Guybrush with the ability to get started with his Quest. Who?
2. One person actually uses the force in a well-known way. Who?
3. X marks the spot on the bottom of a chasm. What does the X consist of?
4. In the church, LeChuck and his bride are standing in front of the altar, when suddenly Elaine appears. Who's wearing the wedding dress?

-LeChuck's Revenge-

5. How many pieces of eight is the map piece in the store?
6. What does Guybrush sell to the store owner in order to get it?
7. In the beginning, Guybrush has to steal something. He makes up for it with a piece from a display model. What did he steal?
8. At one time, Guybrush has to pay attention to the wind. What for?

-The Curse of Monkey Island-

9. Who was Murray before he lost his (skeleton) body?
10. Why couldn't Guybrush simply pull the cursed diamond ring back off Elaine's finger to try to relieve her from the curse?
11. Next to which building was the pepper plant?
12. Who was the only non-animatronic person in the ride at the end?

Radiant

Cool, that was quick. Ok, I'll PM you later this week.

Saberteeth

Ok, I'm certain for TSoMI, so I won't answer the other two. Mainly, 'cause I'm still playing MI2 and heven't even played MI3, so here goes:
Spoiler

[close]
Edited by mod: Read the rules, you have to PM.
Edited by ME: Sorry.Ã,  :-[

Charity

I will give this a try.  Haven't played anything Monkey Island in a while, though, and even then the last I touched was EFMI.

Khris

Two entries so far, keep 'em coming!

(Hint: The answer to the second question is NOT the Voodoo lady; there's somebody who uses the force in a physical way.
Snowflake and Lyaer: Feel free to correct your answers to #2.)

Ishmael

I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Steel Drummer

I'm composing the music for this game:

Khris

Four entries so far. (Only four?! Come on, guys, this is an old school adventure forum!)

Every question has been answered correct at least once, except for numbers 2 and 10.

#2 is obviously pretty misleading, but since I believe you'll smack your head and go "of course!" after I tell you the solution, I'll keep it.

ManicMatt

You know, I'm kind of glad I don't actually remember such useless details from games 
I played over thirteen or so years ago like:

5. How many pieces of eight is the map piece in the store?

;D :P

Khris

IMO, many contemporary adventures suck balls big time, so I usually end up playing the LA classics again and again if I'm bored.
I've played through MI2 at least 10 times :)

Steel Drummer

After the competition, are you going to post the answers? I was sort of wondering the answer to #2...
I'm composing the music for this game:

Khris

Khris

Ok, not the resonance I had hoped for, but four entries isn't that bad, either.

Radiant is the winner, thanks to gaining 3 points for his answer to the fourth question.
Then Lyaer, Snowflake and GarageGothic.

And here are all the answers:

-The Secret of Monkey Island-

1. Named after a type of noodle, they provide Guybrush with the ability to get started with his Quest. Who? - The Fettuccini Bros., since they paid him a few hundred to buy stuff he needs.
2. One person actually uses the force in a well-known way. Who? - This question was appearantly a bit unfair; no one remembered the troll on bridge, who used the force to grab his club after eating the red herring.
3. X marks the spot on the bottom of a chasm. What does the X consist of? - It's a pair of oars
4. In the church, LeChuck and his bride are standing in front of the altar, when suddenly Elaine appears. Who's in the wedding dress? - Two monkeys (extra point for mentioning the root beer bottle)

-LeChuck's Revenge-

5. How many pieces of eight is the map piece in the store? - 6'000'000
6. What does Guybrush sell to the store owner in order to get it? - The figurehead from the Sea Monkey
7. In the beginning, Guybrush has to steal something. He makes up for it with a piece from a display model. What did he steal? - Wally's monocle
8. At one time, Guybrush has to pay attention to the wind. What for? - Making 1st place at the spitting contest

-The Curse of Monkey Island-

9. Who was Murray before he lost his (skeleton) body? - One of LeChuck's minions
10. Why couldn't Guybrush simply pull the cursed diamond ring back off Elaine's finger to relieve her from the curse? - After Elaine turned to gold, the diamond went *poof*
11. Next to which building was the pepper plant? - The mill on Blood Island
12. Who was the only non-animatronic person in the ride at the end? - Wally

Ubel

Awh damn, I actually wrote my answers somewhere then forgot to PM them to you. :(

Ah well, congrats Radiant!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk