Coding Contest: May 26th- June 18th Pull-down menus

Started by SSH, Fri 26/05/2006 22:45:23

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

Since no-one entered the last one...

AGS can't even do pull-down menus, what kind of development environment is this? Save CJ's face and make a module...!

Here are the rules:
1. Must be open-source. We can hardly inspect your coding if we can't see it.
2. Must contain instructions for how to add to an existing game; this will obviously be easier if the scripting is done as a module.
3. Only use of the 3D, TCP/IP and maths plugins are allowed.
4. Must provide sample game using your code.
5. Team efforts are allowed, and you're probably expected to get help for sprites, etc from elsewhere.
6. As far as possible, entries will be judged on their scripting and gameplay rather than GFX, SFX, music, etc.
7. Winner will be decided by 1 week of voting at the end.
8.  Please add your entry to the wiki page upon entry.

Ashen

I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Akumayo

I may not be able to enter this one, I'll not even be here from June 1st to June 15th...  But I may be able to whip an entry up if I have enough time before and after those dates.  Good luck to any other entrants!
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

SSH

Quote from: Ashen on Sat 27/05/2006 23:30:36
What do you mean by 'pull-down' menus?

Look at the Menu bar at the top of your browser.... like those

Akumayo

Well, I got a basic idea going now, but it's not actually working... at all.  I suppose I'll wait until my return, when I'll have a day or two work on it...

SSH

The dates were pretty arbitrary, so please, with extensions, ask and ye shall recieve

Kweepa

I've got an entry in the works too. It's going to be pretty basic, but it should work for your walkcycle generator, SSH. :=
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Akumayo

I don't need extensions, I think I'll be able to pull it off.  I usually don't make me entries over a long time, just a weekend or so.  So two days should be plenty for something like this.

SSH

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Wed 31/05/2006 14:24:00
I've got an entry in the works too. It's going to be pretty basic, but it should work for your walkcycle generator, SSH. :=

That'll be interesting to see what happens in the module manager when you have 11 extensions, as 10 fills the box right up. I wonder if CJ made a scrollbar?

Kweepa

Here's my entry:

Example:

Module for AGS 2.72:
http://www.steporg.com/step/ags/tech/PullDownMenusModule.zip
Module for AGS 2.71:
http://www.steporg.com/step/ags/tech/PullDownMenusModule271.zip

Demo game:
http://www.steporg.com/step/ags/tech/PullDownMenusTest.zip

You can add menus, add items to menus, get callbacks on clicks, enable and disable items, toggle items, show and hide the menus.

[EDIT2] Updated to v1.1 - Added icons, allowed bar to be moved/scaled, fixed autocomplete (thanks Strazer), changed docs to require AGS 2.72.
[EDIT3] Updated to v1.2 - Added right text to menu items, changed to mac-style click, drag, release because I couldn't get a mouse click outside the GUIs in the module. And now I'm finished fiddling.
[EDIT4] Ok, I lied. Updated to v1.3 - Added borders, background graphics and flash on select, 2.71 compatibility.

strazer

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Thu 01/06/2006 07:05:04[EDIT] I meant to ask: Is there any way to get AGS to autocomplete module function names? I tried using the guidelines, but that didn't even present the module name as an autocomplete, much less the functions. And the style I used here (copied from one of SSH's recent modules) allows autocompletion of the module name, but none of the functions.

Do
Code: ags

struct __PullDownMenus {

instead of
Code: ags

struct __PullDownMenus
{

But why not use static functions? Then you wouldn't need to create an instance of __PullDownMenus.
(Edit: Ah, I guess you tried that. Placing the bracket like shown above should auto-complete correctly.)

Can't open the demo game with v2.71, btw. The module doesn't compile with v2.71 as well. Module header says AGS v2.71 is supported...

Akumayo

Yikes!  I mean... awesome entry Steve.

Mine's still in the forges.  I'm pretty sure I'll finish before deadline.  I might be an hour or two late, but I'll finish the entry eventually  ;D.

This isn't going to be a two man race again is it....?

Kweepa

Quote from: "Acqua" Akumayo on Fri 16/06/2006 22:24:30
This isn't going to be a two man race again is it....?

It's looking a lot like it :'(

Akumayo

Sorry to say it, but It'll probably be a one horse race.  My idea to make this work... didn't work.  Aside from that, I'm really busy on my other projects.  Sorry all  :'(

I'll do my best to enter the next one though  :D

-Regards, "Acqua" Akumayo

Kweepa

Sorry to hear that, AA.

I hereby declare myself the de facto winner.
IN YOUR FACE, LOSERS! YOU SUCK, I RULE. &c.

SSH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk