Coding Contest: June 19th- July 3rd Megademo [Winner: Akumayo]

Started by Kweepa, Mon 19/06/2006 18:08:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Kweepa

Start the AGS Demoscene

Let's try something a bit different. Put together a "demo" like the old C64, Amiga or PC demos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demo_(computer_programming)

What I envisage is two or three unusual (for AGS) graphics demos strung together, maybe set to music.
For example: a bouncy scrolling message, a voxel heightfield.
Extra points for getting that retro feel (crazy greets, pixelled artwork between parts, techno music).
This sort of thing is traditionally done in teams, with one coder working on each part, so team efforts are encouraged.

Here are the rules:
1. Must be open-source. We can hardly inspect your coding if we can't see it.
2. Must contain instructions for how to add to an existing game; this will obviously be easier if the scripting is done as a module.
3. Only use of the 3D, TCP/IP and maths plugins are allowed.
4. Must provide sample game using your code.
5. Team efforts are allowed, and you're probably expected to get help for sprites, etc from elsewhere.
6. As far as possible, entries will be judged on their scripting and gameplay rather than GFX, SFX, music, etc.
7. Winner will be decided by 1 week of voting at the end.
8.Ã,  Please add your entry to the wiki page upon entry.

(Rule 2 doesn't make a lot of sense in this context, but we'll interpret it as meaning that each part should be coded as a module where possible - for example, a bouncy scroller could be reused easily.)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Akumayo

Great, I'll do my best to enter!

(BTW, you need to add the closing parenthesis in "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demo_(computer_programming)", or it takes you to a wiki error page.)

EDIT:

Would it be legal for me to use the particle engine I made for a previous contest in doing this one?Ã,  The rules don't really say...
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

Kweepa

Thanks - I updated the url.
I suppose you (and anyone else) could use the particle engine. The coding for that part of the demo would have to be judged on how it was used, so make it creative!

Kweepa

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sat 24/06/2006 22:29:03
Not an entry for several reasons...

I know one of the reasons why it can't be: the zip-archive is invalid. I tried it several times. :)

EDIT: First it was 800KB, now I tried again and it's only 123KB only and none of my unzippers can handle it (WinZip, WinRAR or the WinXP Unzip-device). So, the filesize seems to vary both with using Firefox and IExplorer to download. Looks like some server/hosting problem to me.

Al_Ninio

Akumayo

I too downloaded it with no problem.

Very neat Steve (does it go on after the dinosaurs and the falling balls, (got bored and exited  :-X))

Anyway, awesome water effect.  Mine should be finished... before the deadline at least.  I've only got the intro finished.

-Regards, Akumayo

DoorKnobHandle

Ah, today it worked!

Very, very good stuff, Steve. Congratulations, I loved it! I'd really like to get some technical insight in how you managed to pull off those three effects (especially the water-rendering and the ball-physics). Feel free to do this via PM if you have the time and don't want to spoil things. It'd be greatly appreciated! :)

Akumayo: Be patient! ;)

Kweepa

I uploaded the source code to
http://www.steporg.com/step/ags/tech/megademosrc.zip

There are six modules:
Lake is the water rendering. It's extremely simple. I adapted the meat (one line! in the comments) of a java lake applet. To be truly useful I'd need to parameterize it (to define the reflection area).
Math3d and Collide3d (+ room 3) are the ball physics. It's somewhat more complicated. :=
The other module that might be interesting is Splines. I used it to smooth out my handwriting.

If you need more explanation, PM me.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Shame I didn't see this earlier, as I love amiga demos.  However, I question the need to tag a demo, which is standalone, onto a game?  Demos were rarely playable, just eyecandy mainly.

Kweepa

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sun 25/06/2006 20:49:38
Shame I didn't see this earlier, as I love amiga demos.
Does that mean you're going to enter?
Ah, go on. You will, you will, you will.
The coding competition could do with an injection of fresh blood.

However, I question the need to tag a demo, which is standalone, onto a game?Ã,  Demos were rarely playable, just eyecandy mainly.
True enough. That's why I added the note about rule (2) in the first post.

Akumayo

Hooray, I finished on time!

(No screenshots, mostly because I'm lazy, sorry)

Akumayo's Megademo!

Makes use of the following modules (reveals some stuff about the demo):
Spoiler

Ã,  -Advanced Randoms (used in several places, mainly to produce scroll-out number sprites)
Ã,  -Particle Engine (used to make fire/water/smoke effects, as well as the 1's and 0's explosion thing)
Ã,  -Lightning (used to make... well, the lightning)
Ã,  -Hypnotize/Mesmerize (used to make spinning, twirling, vortext things)
[close]

-Regards, Akumayo

Kweepa

Very cool!
I liked the easter egg... :=
Now where's the source code?

Akumayo

OopsÃ,  :-[

I'll get right on that

Source Code will be is right here: X

Kweepa

Thanks!
Right, now. Is anyone else going to enter? >:(
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaase
      plz                                               
                       plz                   plz         
                                       plz             
                 plz        plz                         

plz                plz            plz               

plz                                plz 
                     plz                plz             
&c

Akumayo

charliechuck

Here's an entry of sorts, a small text moving screen and a fractal generator with zoom.
Download HERE

Kweepa

That's pretty neat!
It's not exactly what I had in mind as a demo, but it certainly fits the bill as something unusual done with AGS - I don't remember anyone writing a mandelbrot generator before...

To make it more demo-like, since a recalculation only takes a few seconds, perhaps you could grab the current screen and start slowly zooming in, then when the fractal calculation has finished and you've reached the right zoom level, replace the zoomed image with the calculated image and continue. I seem to remember a PC demo like that - oh, yes, of course, Crystal Dream 2 by Triton.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Dream_2

charliechuck

Thanks,Ã,  :)

Good idea, but the screen doesnt seem to update until the complete picture is drawn, ( the gui doesn't update either I tried to put a calculating.. message on whilst it's calculating) I don't know why perhaps it's something to do with rawdraw?, so i don't know how you'd get it to zoom while calculating, maybe multiple backgrounds?

SSH

put in a Wait(1); to get it to update...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk