Suggestions for competitions and activities

Started by Andail, Thu 29/06/2006 11:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Kreator

SimB, thats a great idea! If any of these competition ideas were actually used, i hope it would be yours.

Storygamer

Here's an idea I haven't seen--that doesn't mean it hasn't been suggested, just that I haven't seen it.  One of the big questions people always ask about AGS is "Can I make a role-playing game with this?" and the answer is always an emphatic "yes".  So, how about a competition for people to try to make the best RPG with AGS?  It would involve a little creative scripting, so it might not be a good competition for people new to the program, but it would be great for people with a little experience trying to get a little more.  Here's an idea for how it could work:

The Arpygags Competition
("Arpygags" = RPGAGS)
Create a role-playing game using only AGS as the engine.  The game MUST include:
-AT LEAST 5 different "stats" for the playable character(s).  These stats could be the traditional "hit points" and character attributes, or they could be something more creative.  Other ideas are a "Quest for Glory" type skill system, something similar to the "Eder Scrolls" games, or the Dungeons & Dragons system of stats used in games like "Baldur's Gate"
-It must be possible to improve the character(s) stats over time through the actions of the player.  The most traditional way of doing this has always been killing monsters of some sort to get "experience points", but players are encouraged to go against traditional and be innovative.
-There must be some kind of combat system.  This could be an action system, a timed-command type system like Diablo or Icewind Dale, a pure menu-based system like Final Fantasy, or something completely new and different.  It should be possible to enter combat at least TWICE in the game.
-There must be AT LEAST 3 "side-quests".  A side-quest for these purposes is defined as a task the player is not required to perform to win the game, but which improves the character(s) in some way--i.e. by improving his/her stats or by giving them a useful inventory item.
-Competitors are not required to have more than "joinable" character in the playable party, but they are encouraged to have at least two characters that the player can control.

Competitors could have 3 months in which to submit their RPG, to give plenty of time to make a good one.  The winner would be chosen by a voting system similar to the way MAGS works.  As for how the thread would be maintained...right now I just see this as a one-time competition, but if people want more rounds, it could be done.  Perhaps whoever wins each round could add one new rule to the requirements.

This is just an idea.  From the requirements, you can see that even a bare-bones RPG would be acceptable.  Of course, if someone builds a seventy-skill system and has a complex battle system which is used many many times and includes twenty side-quests to boot, they will probably be more likely to win.

Any thoughts?

radiowaves

Quote from: SimB on Sat 31/03/2007 20:42:00
I really think there isn't enough focus on actually making AGS games.  Sure the activities help, especially things like the BG Blitz and Sprite Jam, but the MAGS is the only regular games activity.

I'm quite aware that the MAGS doesn't get many entries, and I think that's simply due to it being very long and demanding.  Most people work alone, and the motivation to plough in several hours of work a day for a month, with no encouragement (in most cases) and a looming deadline is hard to find.

I'm suggesting a new game making activity similar to the ATC that runs once every 2 months.  A team of 3 people is given 2 weeks to produce a game.  Here is the timeline:

• Day 1: First day of month.  Participants have until the 10th to post in the activity thread to sign up.  All entrants names are collected and teams of 3 are randomly selected.  People may not form their own teams.
  • Day 11: Teams are announced.  Team members are encouraged to contact each other during this time and check that they are still active.  Any members AWOL must be reported by the end of the 12th or the team must make do without.
  • Day 13: Each team is given 2 quite strict sets of guidelines governing game theme, characters, puzzles etc.  Think MAGS but not so broad.  Each team in the competition has been given different guidelines (not sure about this).  Work, and planning, may now begin.  Some teams may prefer to spend more time planning.
  • Day 29: Deadline.  Entries are posted in the activity thread by one team member.
  • Day 30: Voting opens.
  • Day ~ 40 (second month): Voting closes.  Winner announced.

I think this timescale might work quite nicely because people who begin a MAGS entry and give up can still apply to this activity if they are early enough.  With any luck they will have just been using AGS and their graphics/music programs for their MAGS entry so they are well prepared.  This competition differs from the ATC by being shorter and having randomly chosen teams, so hopefully more and less experienced members will be mixed together more evenly.  Newbies will learn from more experienced members and hopefully try their best to keep a high standard, but I'd like to add that this shouldn't be a fiercely competitive activity.

I remember being in an ATC and really enjoying it.  We had a randomised team (since those remamining without a team were grouped up) but had 2 AWOLS, which hopefully should not be able to happen so often here.

Ok, this needs a bit more attention than my "make ultimate teams" post...

Firstly. Team competitions are really good for the start, especially for the people who have the will and quite possibly some talent to do an adventure game, but somehow haven't managed to finish any. I remind that teamwork keeps teammembers motivated, you don't do it just for yourself.

Secondly. I remember my participation in 72 hour game development contest (create any kind of game, from scratch, for a given theme, in 72 hours) and it was really fun! We didn't quite manage to finish the game 100%, but it was at least playable. Dates were set on a most logically suitable period and there were no further discussion, those who were "buzy" on those times, had to suite themselves by their own, and it worked very well. I even had school and ended up just fine.

Thirdly. I am not 100% shure about random teams. What if team gets three non-programmers or something? Well, I guess these things can be sorted out, but still. But apart from that, random teams would make the competition much more fun, if time zones match (in a longer period, it might be a problem. But in shorter period, like 72hgdc, it probably doesn't make much difference, since everybody is going to get as few sleep as possible  ;D )

Fourth. Whats an AWOL?

Fifth. Mods, admins, gods, authorities, where are you?
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

CodeJunkie

AWOL = Absent WithOut Leave, meaning they've joined the competition and then disappeared off the face of the Earth.  I'm really surprised the idea got any interest, hopefully if enough people approve it might get off the ground.

Gilbert

Quote from: radiowaves on Wed 11/04/2007 19:25:00
Fifth. Mods, admins, gods, authorities, where are you?

At least I'm here, just didn't think we have good enough reasons to start any new activities at the moment,

theatrx

I've had this idea for awhile.  It's called the "Chris Jones working on a new version of AGS animation".  Hopefully, it would be part of one of the existing animation competitions... Sprite jam or whatever it fits in. 

It would last a couple weeks I should think and the winner would host the next competition.  I just thought it would be fun to see how people would animate Chris working.  No limits on colours and the size could be changed to fit what your idea is.

Here is the basic sprite

Life is a banquet and most poor sonsofbitches are starving to death

gASK

Well, since you are supposed to be hosting new animation competition, why not make this the theme? ;)

Baron

Yes, it is Theatrx's prerogative to start a new Animation competition.  And the theme is brilliant!  I'll PM him to start a new Animation Competition thread.

ALPHATT

Well you might think it's a silly idea but here it goes:
Goal: Is to make most advanced and greatest game WITHOUT using ANY
script
2.Details: You'll have a month for it. You CANNOT use any module/plugin/template.
There will be a qualification round where you give your game in EDITABLE form
so the judges can check that you havent used script. You can use the defult template.
Then you have one month to create the game for the competiton.(if you are qualified!)

Well thats all. You can add plus rules if you want. ;)
/sig

Radiant

Quote from: Wtcq on Wed 02/05/2007 10:28:51
Goal: Is to make most advanced and greatest game WITHOUT using ANY
script
What would be the point of that? If you count the interaction editor, you can basically make whatever you like but you're just restricting people to a somewhat awkward method. If you don't allow the IE either, you can't feasibly make a game, just a bunch of graphics and sounds.

Tuomas

Ok mates, I'm going to start resurrecting the writing contest. With the original rules, except only this time, you'll have 2 weeks + additional time if needed, and encouraged poetry contest included, which means you can try all the ways of the art of typewriting. So I want votes, raised hands to be sure people will contribute. The wish is to start it tomorrow, on monday, but if there's not enough people willing to enter, I shall either delay it or hang myself.

Though I got some suggestionsto keeping this a seasonal contest that lasts longer, and is then opened only like 4-5 times a year, and that way could only work with just one host. Well, I volunteer ;D Seriously though, the topic could be discussed together, but it's true, people might find it easier to write if they had more time. And they'd stay interested if it was a seasonal thing, so that there wouldn't be one all the time. Ok, this is choise nr 2 and the one above is choise nr 1. please tell me how you feel.

voh

I *really* want the writing comp back. I'd enter regularly in whatever version of the comp. is allowed to come back :)
Still here.

Stupot

I don't think the mods read this thread anymore.
Someone should just cheekily start a writing contest/activity without permission.
I would do it, but, errr, I left the cat in the washing machine...

Tuomas

The thing is, people want adventure related subjects and I'm bad at that :)

Gilbert

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 22/08/2007 10:43:11
I don't think the mods read this thread anymore.
I do, whenever there're new posts.
Actually I'm aware of the recent "bring back writing contest" or "bring in a new writing activity" business. Lo_res_man did send me a pm about this pointing me to the recent discussion thread. I had replied but so far he doesn't reply yet.

Someone should just cheekily start a writing contest/activity without permission.
Don't do this unless you're authorised to do so, we don't want people to start new activities whenever they come up with random new ideas.

Stupot

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Wed 22/08/2007 11:34:56
Don't do this unless you're authorised to do so, we don't want people to start new activities whenever they come up with random new ideas.

Hehe... It's OK, I haven't got the balls to break the rules... my membership means a lot to me.

Lionmonkey

The GIF fighting estafette:

The host starts by making a small animation of two characters preparing for a fight. The drawing should be basic and easy to copy.
Then guys who partisipate in the competition make a "sequel" to the first one by, showing the first blow, attack, shot, kick or whatever.
The host chooses the best one if these are more than one.
Then competitors draw a sequel to this one too and so on.
When everyone are out of ideas the host makes the final animation of how the fight ended and posts the whole fight.

Everyone who contributed (including the host) choose the best  "sequel" by voting. Voting for yourself is not alloved.

Stupot

How about some kind of Movie Making contest.

Each [let's say] month, participants have to make a movie and the winning movie is chosen by the host who gets to set the rules for the next following contest.

The host of each 'month' can decide:
The theme of the movie
The Length... (maybe between 5 and 15 minutes long).
A particular Genre.
The media allowed to make the movie.. (video, flash, whaever)
Any other rules he or she fancies adding.

Winner's will be decided by a voting process where everyones vote is worth one point except the Host's whose vote is worth three points.

I know this isnt really related to adventure gaming, but it's a good way to get people being creative and theres nothing to stop a host from making AGS-related rules such as 'Make a fight scene involving two AGS characters', or something.

What do you reckon?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 12/03/2007 22:13:16
I have an idea for a competition.  Everybody loves cut-scenes, but what about whole movies?.. or at least 10 minutes shorts.  How about using AGS to tell a story based on a loose theme given my the competition starter and winners thereafter, no gameplay allowed but gripping narrative and slick direction required.  I really like this, plase somebody else say it's a good plan!! :)

You're quoting yourself now? Or repeating yourself?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Stupot

Haha... you have a better memory than I, Rui.
Nice to know someone's keeping an eye out for me.  ;)

Although it's slightly different because in the old post I was on about using AGS to make something, but this time round I'm just talking about using a camera, or any other means, really.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk