Suggestions for competitions and activities

Started by Andail, Thu 29/06/2006 11:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

Well ok. Listen to this one...
How about there is a monthly/week/whatevery competition by the name
AGS Show

1. Description
AGS Show is a competition where people make a game (possibly very short) based on the AGS show idea.
AGS Show is like Friends are. A comedy show that is. Except that instead of the characters in friends famous AGS or basically adventure gaming characters will star on each episode. The story of each episode can be decided by the author of each game. The winner of each competition will set the output of the next episode. I could create an episode myself just to let you see the idea.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

FSi++

Stupot

I've recently been playing a fair few 'Escape the Room' games.  They are quite handy for people who want a quick point n click fix but don't have a lot of spare time.

How about we have either:

a) a monthly/weekly/fortnightly 'Escape the Room' contest where the winner of each contests sets the next theme, as per most other contests or...

b)We have a long running thread wherewe can all can submit Escape the Room games as and when we like and keep an updated list in the first post.

I quite like the sound of 'b'.  This way is is more 'activity' than 'competition' and can be on going.  Also it would be could practise for people who want to concentrate on the puzzle element of their games rather than getting bogged down with backgound art.

Any takers?

FSi++

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 15/01/2008 11:51:17
I've recently been playing a fair few 'Escape the Room' games.  They are quite handy for people who want a quick point n click fix but don't have a lot of spare time.

a) a monthly/weekly/fortnightly 'Escape the Room' contest where the winner of each contests sets the next theme, as per most other contests or...

b)We have a long running thread wherewe can all can submit Escape the Room games as and when we like and keep an updated list in the first post.

I quite like the sound of 'b'.  This way is is more 'activity' than 'competition' and can be on going.  Also it would be could practise for people who want to concentrate on the puzzle element of their games rather than getting bogged down with backgound art.

Any takers?

Count me in.

Akatosh

Quote from: FSi on Fri 18/01/2008 15:45:42
Quote from: Stupot on Tue 15/01/2008 11:51:17

Any takers?

Count me in.

What he said.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I agree as well, and furthermore suggest it be a thread on Completed Game Board, alongside with the Hour Games thread.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Stupot

Yeh, good idea.
That'll keep them all in one place.

Mr. Suit

I have an idea for a contest for the best graphic posted which must fit only this rule: they must
be made using 5 colors or less. The contest will be open until the 20th of february and its purpose is pure entertainment. The winner will be elected by me.
This contest will be monthly and the rules will remain the same. Each winner will get a trophee with the month of the contest.
So, I'll be expecting your opinion
There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.

Ghost

Quote from: Ferdinand on Sun 27/01/2008 07:25:59
I have an idea for a contest for the best graphic posted which must fit only this rule: they must
be made using 5 colors or less.

This will most likely result in black-and-white stick-figure games... Could become a trend, though.

Mr. Suit

This will most likely result in black-and-white stick-figure games... Could become a trend, though.
[/quote]
Could be possible, though i came up with the idea because when I attempted at my first sprites, i managed to do some with very few colors, for example I made a tree using only four colors. I don't know how to post an image here, though (Help!).

Ghost

The smart approach:
Upload the image somewhere (ImageShack isn't too bad)
copy the "form link" they provide
put the forum link into your text between [ url ]  [ /url ] (without spaces)

It's nice that you managed to create a low-colourcount sprite, and I see some potential in making a game with a restricted palette, but not interesting enough to make a full game competition. It's like a challenge to eat a chinese meal with a spoon.

Mr. Suit

But my idea wasn't to create a game, but to see how good are the graphics people can manage to do with such a restricted pallette. As you say, it's quite easy to make a 4 color sprite, but it's hard to make the best among the other contestants, and besides I though it would be a good way of practising sprite making with few colors, which comes in handy when creating a game. still, i'd have to see if anyone's interested.
BTW, thanks for the tip on image posting. :)
http://www.freewebs.com/definitivegaze/New%20Text%20Document.html

theatrx

I have a whacky idea.  I've created the beginnings of a game called Lock Up.  One Room..  it could be more if you choose.  If I submit all the code and characters and rooms... and the competition is completing the game...  Would that be a good competition to see who came up with the best game?  8 characters...  If you're interested let me know.  Steve
Life is a banquet and most poor sonsofbitches are starving to death

limeTree

Sorry,can i ask something?
I havent been visiting ags forum for quite some time,i noticed that the backround blitz ceased to exist.What happened to it! I really liked that!

nihilyst

Background Blitz is now called Mockup Blitz, where you have to create a background, a character and an interface all at once. BB isn't dead, it's up to the winner to decide whether there will be a round of BB or MB.

Khris

About the Mockup Blitz:

It's nice to see that it's relatively popular and there have been some really great entries already considering the short time it's running here.
I'm a bit disappointed though about the fact the there are many entries which don't exactly qualify as mockups. They look more like concept art, not actual in-game screenshots.
While the setting and theme are important, a mockup is all about showing an actual background and actual in-game sprites, together with a working GUI (and cursor), not just a general idea how a game is supposed to look.

It's primarily a graphical activity, not a conceptual one.

The same is more or less true about the Sprite Jam and Animation Competition.
People try to be funny, posting flash generated content or even animations using downscaled photos they got from google image search.
Both activities are meant to get people to draw stuff that can be used in a game immediately.

Am I the only one who sees it this way?

limeTree

thewizard

I'm pretty new so I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to re-suggest.
I have noticed that there was once a now discontinued story writing contest, was this due to a lack of interest?  I would be VERY interseted in participating if this comp was reinstated.

Sorry again if this is not an appropriate post.

Mr. Suit

I've got a really crappy  idea for a competition: It would be called "Your favorite" and it would begin with me as a host, then it would be host by the winner, and then by the next winner and so on. (The winner would be chosen by the host). The host ask the contestants to draw a sprite or a scene depicting their favorite.... (band, movie, video game, book, country, historical character, t.v. show, etc.). With some stuff such as books or movies, the contestant can either draw a character from the book or movie or a famous scene from it, such as romeo and Juliet in the balcony scene, or Darth Vader telling Luke he is his father, or the UFO attacking the white house in Independence Day, etc.
So if the host says "draw your favorite band" you can draw the beatles, the who, the rolling stones, etc.
If he says "draw your favourite video game" you can draw something related to mortal kombat, monkey island, DOTT, etc.

I hope that i could make the idea clear. Sorry if it's hard to understand but I don't speak english good enough.

Antonio

Definately a good idea Ferdy.
And your english is better than you think... ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk