Suggestions for competitions and activities

Started by Andail, Thu 29/06/2006 11:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Suit

Thanks, and I certainly hope some more people dig the idea too. I'm waiting to hear opinions.
By the way, when or how will I know if I can start this game thread?
There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.

FSi++

Quote from: Mr. Suit on Sun 02/03/2008 05:49:55
Thanks, and I certainly hope some more people dig the idea too. I'm waiting to hear opinions.
By the way, when or how will I know if I can start this game thread?

You wait for mods to approve (not that I think they will).

Mr. Suit

And how are mods going to let me know? Do they send a message or directly answer in this thread?

Gilbert

Either way may be possible. But if you don't get an approval after some time, consider the idea scraped.

Evil

Where the hell did Photoshop Friday go? Bring that back.

Gilbert

Stupot

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Mon 03/03/2008 20:38:29
Either way may be possible. But if you don't get an approval after some time, consider the idea scraped.

Does that mean my 'Escape the Room' idea (see page 6) has been scrapped?
Everybody seemed up for that  :'(

FSi++

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 03/03/2008 22:53:25
Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Mon 03/03/2008 20:38:29

Does that mean my 'Escape the Room' idea (see page 6) has been scrapped?
Everybody seemed up for that  :'(

Well, it wasn't that much of a competition, more like a hourgames thread.

Mr. Suit

And how long should I wait before I know my idea is doomed? I was really into it. :(

Tuomas

You must wait until your intuition tells you to either bother the mods via spamming or to develop the idea and start lobbying it :D

Mr. Suit

OK , so I'll just wait I few days. Also, If I just go ahead and start the thread myself, it's under the risk of being deleted, right?

Mr. Suit

Crap. Really, how often do competitions posted here get the mods' approval?

Vince Twelve

I think the problem with your idea, Mr. Suit, is that, like a lot of the ideas in this thread, it's a subset of an existing competition.  What I mean is, you could win either the Sprite Jam or the Background Blitz and then declare "Draw your favorite [insert item here]" as the topic.  The new competitions that get started are usually wildly different from other competitions out there (but still somehow connected to the skills used for the development of adventure games) or are twists on older competitions that are attempts at reviving dead competitions.  (Like the writing competition was recently revived as a ministory competition, and has now morphed into the chain story.)

Too many same-same competitions end up decreasing the participation across the board, which is why the mods don't approve many new comps.

Mr. Suit

OK, so I'll just keep on trying to come up with something new, thanks.  :)

GarageGothic

What happened to Photoshop Phriday/Biweekly? It's not crossed out in the forum charter, yet there hasn't been one since last summer. I really enjoyed those since it was something fun you could whip up in a couple of hours and didn't require the commitment and time of most other competitions.

Vince Twelve

Actually, I apparently killed that one!  I had only one response to the last photoshop comp which I declared the winner and then... nothing... That would be a good competition to revive with some fresh new idea.  I also really enjoyed that competition!

Edit:  a suggestion for reviving Photoshop Phriday.

-The host (previous winner) provides five or six source images.  Contestants must make an image using at least two or three (or all, I suppose it's up to the host) of the source images and try to make something creative.  This may be more successful since it gives the participants starting images rather than just a theme.

Example: http://www.crestock.com/blog/design/photoshop-contest-07-round-3-winner-announcement-111.aspx

GarageGothic

Great idea, Vince. I don't think it should necessarily be a constant feature, because it would be a shame to put too many limitations on  unpredictable themes like "game title anagrams" and whatnot. But providing a number of source images as a theme in itself is an excellent idea and adds to the variety of the competition.

Stupot

How about a competition where the task is to design the packaging for an existing AGS game? or perhaps a poster or something.

So I would start the thread and say 'You have to design a DVD-style case cover for A Cure for the Common Cold'  or 'a poster for Lone Case'...

I would then choose a winner who would then choose the next game and format.

It would be interesting to see how characters and worlds created by one AGSer are restyled by others for the purposes of packaging and promotion.

How about it?

[NOTE - I'd appreciate a 'yes' or 'no' from a mod... it's the least we deserve for putting the time into proposing an idea.  Thanks]

[NOTE 2 - 2 weeks later - Even a PM saying, 'No, Stu, fuck off, your ideas are shit' would be better than nothing. Thanks]

Neil Dnuma

That sounds like a good theme for the revived Photoshop Phriday, Stupot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk