Suggestions for competitions and activities

Started by Andail, Thu 29/06/2006 11:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Oh, again? :P

There's been a writing comp, it generated interest. Eventually the last person to win didn't start a new thread.

It's worth bringing back to life, yeah. :P It's also been discussed in this thread, if you want more particulars.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

rock_chick

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Tue 08/04/2008 21:27:08
Oh, again? :P

There's been a writing comp, it generated interest. Eventually the last person to win didn't start a new thread.

It's worth bringing back to life, yeah. :P It's also been discussed in this thread, if you want more particulars.

I noticed it has that's why I asked if anyone had done anything about, like pming a mod to get a serious yay or nay. I'd do it myself but just coming into this whole thing means I would probably not be able to make a proper argument. So many ideas are mentioned here and then others come along and agree they like it but then nothing happens and it just seems that if something has enough support why don't they ever get official replies from mods? I know they're busy people with real lives but I thought that was the whole purpose of this thread?

Emerald

She's right. "We've already discussed it" is not a valid excuse for having a terribly skewed competition section. What is it, 10 art competitions, 1 programming competition and 0 writing ones?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

That's not what I meant. :P I'm basically tired of people talking about writing comps over and over again. There's obviously interest, someone PM a mod already!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

TwinMoon

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Sun 13/04/2008 13:33:27I'm basically tired of people talking about writing comps over and over again. There's obviously interest, someone PM a mod already!

Since I'd also like more writing comps, I PM'd a mod and got the green light.

The basic idea will be this:
A subject will be given, write a story of around 200-350 words about this subject.
The competition will last two weeks: 12 days to enter, 2 days to vote.

All you fledgling writers keep an eye on the competition thread, I'll post the first FORTNIGHTLY WRITING COMPETITION in a few days.

rock_chick

That's great, I shall be very interested in entering when it starts. Will the winner of the comp get to choose the next subject and will there be any trophies involved, I ask that because so many of the others have them and it could just be one that never changes, also will there will runners up?

Now on to another older subject, is there any, serious interest in bringing back the Photoshop Biweekly competition?

Jack Sheehan

I pm'ed Andail about this and he basically said yes, but wait til after the end of the group writing compo, so have patience people.

TwinMoon

Quote from: rock_chick on Mon 14/04/2008 14:38:42Will the winner of the comp get to choose the next subject and will there be any trophies involved, I ask that because so many of the others have them and it could just be one that never changes, also will there will runners up?
My idea is to have first, second and third places. Winner chooses next topic.
You really want a trophy to put in your signature?

Quote from: Jack Sheehan on Mon 14/04/2008 14:48:47I pm'ed Andail about this and he basically said yes, but wait til after the end of the group writing compo, so have patience people.

If you're referring to the writing competition, there might be a slight conflict, since I pm'ed Gilbot yesterday and he might not have known about this.

zabnat

Quote from: rock_chick on Mon 14/04/2008 14:38:42
Now on to another older subject, is there any, serious interest in bringing back the Photoshop Biweekly competition?
Yes.

PsychicHeart

Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

rock_chick

Hey I've never gotten a trophy for anything, I've had stuff published(unpaid), I suck at sports, science, maths, coding and drawing so I guess YES but seriously for the comp it doesn't matter!

Lionmonkey

Quote from: zabnat on Tue 15/04/2008 07:19:34
Quote from: rock_chick on Mon 14/04/2008 14:38:42

Yes, totally! Photozhabbing is the funniest thing I like to do.

Gilbert

Alright, as Terran won by default in the last round of Photoshop Friday, I had sent him a PM, asking him whether he would like to start a new one.

As he's not very active at the moment, I'll wait a few days for his reply. If he doesn't reply or gives up on it I'll see who is interested to host it to keep it moving.

TwinMoon

Small update: The writing competition will start when the grandiose writing competition is finished.

Quote from: rock_chick on Wed 16/04/2008 12:31:57
Hey I've never gotten a trophy for anything, I've had stuff published(unpaid), I suck at sports, science, maths, coding and drawing so I guess YES but seriously for the comp it doesn't matter!

Only teasing :P  I'll see what I can do.

Questionable

Whatever happened to the voice over competition?
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

FSi++

Gilbert

Okay, Terran has just replied that he may be a bit too busy to host the next round of Photoshop Phriday, so anyone who's interested in hosting a new one may PM me, I may let the first one who comes up with a reasonable topic to start it.

Pet Terry

I would like to see another rounds of Release Something! and Artitude!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Gilbert

These are non-frequent activities that are always welcome whenever the last round had been ended long enough already.

I'll recommend having only one of them at a time though, so the other activity may start afterwards.

The last Release Something was about a year ago, while the last Artitude was 2 years ago.

So, maybe we can have an Artitude first.

Those who are interested may discuss about it here and see if anyone is willing to provide a topic and be the host. I'll wait for 1 week, so if there isn't any comment on it, I may host this myself at 21st, as I hosted the last round already.

zenassem

Not sure if it's been done here... But thought it might be fun to have a competition for a 1 room only adventure. It could be interesting to see how imaginative and resourceful we can be.

Would anyone be interested in doing this and helping me setup some guidelines?

Edited by mod: Don't start random activities without authorisation. Merged this post with the appropriate thread for discussion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk