Suggestions for competitions and activities

Started by Andail, Thu 29/06/2006 11:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

IndieBoy

This is a basically request for OROW (one room one week) competition to return, as the last one was back in 2006 :o I know of a few forum members who want it to return(and who would enter) and I am sure it would be a success, like the previous OROWs.

I know some members usually run these activities (ie Scotch) but I don't see why someone else can't take the role as host.

Anyway, discuss!
;D
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

scotch

Feel free to run one, I'm a bit busy right now. Whoever does it, I would strongly suggest sticking to similar rules to before. Every time one is run people ask for more restrictions or longer timespans (theme, two weeks etc). I think that's a bad idea personally and I think the reasonable success of the other ones suggests the format works as it is. The only change so far was to allow people to have multiple rooms if they really want. The point was to make people think small, not to make them worry about if an intro counts as a second room.

Actually I may as well run it, it's not much more work than hosting the games and putting up the old vote page again... I'll make a thread.

Ultra Magnus

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Tue 13/05/2008 06:25:28
Okay, Terran has just replied that he may be a bit too busy to host the next round of Photoshop Phriday, so anyone who's interested in hosting a new one may PM me, I may let the first one who comes up with a reasonable topic to start it.

Any development on this?

I sure hope it's not dead.
Can somebody poke it with a stick, please?
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

I'm tired of pretending I'm not bitchin', a total frickin' rock star from Mars.

yukonhorror

I had a really neat idea for a competition.  I am very interested in education and educational research.  One thing I have come across is this study on IT and education.  Out of the 20,000 (or so) people interviewed, over 50% liked learning by using interactive games they could control. 

The suggestion I have for a competition is to design a game to teach something.  This can be anything from teaching calculus for college students or teaching chemistry to high school students.  I think you could have some really neat things to teach using AGS as the chalkboard. 

I am not talking about a multiple choice game to test rote knowledge.  I am saying design a game where the player investigates and explores, and as a result will learn the things of importance. 

Questionable

Quote from: scotch on Tue 10/06/2008 13:40:43
Feel free to run one, I'm a bit busy right now. Whoever does it, I would strongly suggest sticking to similar rules to before. Every time one is run people ask for more restrictions or longer timespans (theme, two weeks etc). I think that's a bad idea personally and I think the reasonable success of the other ones suggests the format works as it is. The only change so far was to allow people to have multiple rooms if they really want. The point was to make people think small, not to make them worry about if an intro counts as a second room.

Actually I may as well run it, it's not much more work than hosting the games and putting up the old vote page again... I'll make a thread.

Anyword on this?
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Babar

There already was an OROW....in fact, it started on the same day that scotch wrote that post.

However, considering how OROWs are always set at a time when I am unable to enter, I'd be happy to have another one.

OROW!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

GarageGothic

At the start of the summer there was some talk about reviving Photoshop Phriday, but nothing came out of it. So I was wondering, would anyone mind if I relaunched the competition?

nihilyst

I liked the PP. I'd be happy to see it again.

Domino

Same here. They used to be a lot of fun, then seemed to die instantly. I would really like to see PP back myself.

Gilbert

As the PP has been gone for months and seems that at least some people are interested, so if you want to start a new round, I have no objection.

Questionable

All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Stupot

Inspired by Apocalyptic's paintover of Ioanis's sprite I thought we should have a game where we start with one image, and then we take it in turns to add or change a detail so that we might eventually end up with something entirely different... a bit like a visual version of Chinese Whispers.

There will be no rules as to what you can do as long as you keep it to ONE detail, however big or small... but the image should still be easily recognisable as a nothing more than a modification of the previous image... so okay, that's acouple of rules, but they're pretty loose.

Who's up for this, and who would be willing to draw the first image?

If we start with something small, like a character sprite, then this can be added to and might eventually turn into a full blown background image.

derboo

Sounds fun. How should be handled who's next? First come, first serve?

Stupot

Yeh, it'll run continuously and anyone can poke their head it and have a go whenever they feel like, such as the MSpaint thread. But obviously you can't enter twice in a row.

Trent R

Sounds like a great idea, but should there be a 'self-moderating rule' that states that you can't immediately change and rebuke someone else's addition?

For example on Apocalyptic's paintover. The logical thing would probably be to add a hook hand, or maybe something random like an umbrella hat. What would be unacceptable would be redoing the legs and cancelling out the previous edit. Granted, once the picture has evolved enough (background, npcs, etc) it would be okay.

Then again, such a thing would probably be done only by trolls, so perhaps it's not needed.
~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Domino

I am asking permission to try a new competition here.

My Idea is the THE JIGSAW CHALLENGE

First I would post a picture of an empty Jigsaw Puzzle

Then the Host would fill in one of the empty puzzle pieces...

Then the next person would fill in another part of the puzzle, and the person after that would fill in another piece.

Each person would fill in one area at a time until the Puzzle was complete.

Thus completing the empty Jigsaw Puzzle.

I think it would be fun to see how it would turn out at the end.

If granted permission I would like to start a new comp to bring some life to this forum.

Please Let Me Know...

Thank You

Trihan

Can't speak for anyone else, but I really like this idea. How would it be a "competition" though? How would you judge which jigsaw piece was the best?

Domino

I was thinking the same thing after posting this. How would the winner be decided? Oh well, I wanted to start something fresh here.

Domino

loominous

I propose that the Sprite Jam is officially turned into a pixel art competition - something which would neccessitate little or no change - and that a Character Competition is started.

At the moment there is no regular activity involving character art where people of all styles are allowed to participate. As character art is perhaps the most important graphical element in a game, it would seem like a dedicated activity where everyone is allowed to enter would be highly called for.

As there is an obvious craving for pixel art activities with technical restrictions, a dedicated activity also seems called for.

This would most likely divide up some interest, and they would probably at least initially get relatively fewer participants, but as they would attract a wider range of participants, it would most likely balance out in the long term. And even if it doesn't, I suspect everyone would agree that it's the fair way to go.
Looking for a writer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk