Suggestions for competitions and activities

Started by Andail, Thu 29/06/2006 11:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

IndieBoy

There used to be the coding competitions, but I guess it died due to lack of entries. However I wouldn't mind seeing it back, cause I like to challange myself ;D However, I think there are only so many things you could script, and also only so many ways going about each theme. So I don't know if it is much of a competition. The time aspect I don't like, epecially 24hours cause that would difficult to run and unfair since we have AGSer from all over the world.
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Babar

I think the coding competition lost steam because there was a lack of ideas of interesting things to code. If you check the list, there are 4 versions of 'battles', 2 inventory scripto-things, and 3 graphicky animating type things.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

AsimosVagan

Quote from: Babar on Mon 16/02/2009 16:50:45
I think the coding competition lost steam because there was a lack of ideas of interesting things to code. If you check the list, there are 4 versions of 'battles', 2 inventory scripto-things, and 3 graphicky animating type things.

Maybe we could make a competition (or activity) to "code better something that everyone must code in a game"? That way the users could think a bit more and learn new ways to code.

Dualnames

Asimos: I'd love a programming contest/competition..just for the hell of it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Matti

I like that idea too and - as dualnames points out - it could be really helpful. I do sometimes have the problem that my code is much longer and more complex than necessary. So I'd love to see the shortest piece of script for certain "situations"..

Dualnames

If it's quite allowed, I'll think of a first theme, and post a reply here..so that people can decide whether we want it back or nto.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Stupot

How about a model or sculpture contest.  The host sets some guidelines of his choice (say design a creature, or a 3d model of a room), and the contestants have to make this thing using any means from plasticine to toilet-roll tubes, and a lick of paint... whatever.

It might not be directly tied to AGS or games, but it will get people doing creative stuff with their hands and keep them away from the computer for a few minutes at least.

What does everyone think?

Misj'

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 17/04/2009 10:01:30
How about a model or sculpture contest.  The host sets some guidelines of his choice (say design a creature, or a 3d model of a room), and the contestants have to make this thing using any means from plasticine to toilet-roll tubes, and a lick of paint... whatever.

Been there...done that ;)

Revan

I have had an idea for a Competition.

It's called Movie Madness (or a variation on this).

The idea is the previous winner on the last Movie Madness picks a Film or TV show (even a Comic), and the participants have to create either a Background, Character, Vehicle, Object or Music or they can make all of them if they like. (I feel that characters and objects must be animated due to the greater effort involved in a bg or maybe animated characters / objects can be another category) The entry's must be based on that film/comic/tvshow etc. The host of the comp will pick a winner from each category, and then a vote will be held for the overall winner (I think a vote will be best due to the different types of entry's)

I have the perfect film to start us off.   ;D

What do you think?

MovieGuy13

* Graphicless Game Competition
* You have to make a game without graphics, wich fully relies on dialog. You have to have interaction through the dialog. Entertainment
* Periodicity: Month long
* Type of competition: Yes there will be a winner.  Anybody can vote on the thread. They download the games, play and vote.
* Thread administrator: The winner or moderators

IndieBoy

Are you talking about a text adventure? And if you are, there is nothing from stopping you entering Mags with a text adventure. Therefore I don't see the point in your competition.
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

pick yer poison

Just finished replaying Trilby's Notes...still a great game.  :D

Anyway, it gave me an idea. Maybe we could have a contest where the goal is to make a game where the character remains in the same area the entire time (maybe not a room, but not a large area), but travels between two different versions of it in order to complete the game? I think that would be pretty cool. ;D
"Three rights may make a left, but there's still something drastically wrong with your pathfinding algorithm."

IndieBoy

I think we should re-invent the animation competition as the interest is so low. I beleive the main problem is that the image is supplied. Why don't we change it so that you have to make a character perform some sort of animation? E.g. "The dog food is stored up high, make an animation of a dog getting the food", "Pirate Steve just recently lost his leg, make a walkcycle demonstrating him getting used to his new leg". Or something along those lines. I think it would be more useful to improve the entrant's skills as they are creating everything rather than being able to animate with someone else's sprite/style.

Gilbert

I have no objection against this, and I think it's worth a try.

So, it's okay for you to start a new one if you want.

(I think maybe it's also a good idea if a sprite IS also provided as some people may not want to create everything from scratch, so entries created by animating the sprite or original ones are both welcome, as long as they fit the theme.)

Sledgy

Space Quest Mania

Hi, there's some idea about creating mini episodes like Maniac Mansion Mania, but about Space Quest.

One guy create first episode with any story, graphics and style. Then second guy similarly continue this episode, then third, fourth, etc.

So, it would be new fan-serial Space Quest of mini-episodes.

Gilbert

I don't know, but if it's always to be conformed to some specific world settings it would be best to have it stay away from this section, like for example MMM are conducted elsewhere (I think it's mostly because of the German background though, and ironically most AGSers (including me) couldn't name most of the MMM games because of this).

Unless we have a section specific for a certain setting (like how the RON boards contribute to a section here now) I don't think it's a good idea to have this in teh activity forum.

bicilotti

Ok, to make the long story short, I want to start an HourGame competition on this board.

There have been regular contests in the past few weeks (and a quasi imprimatur by a moderator).

Check them to see what it is all about, and let us know what you think.

Bulbapuck

Quote from: bicilotti on Fri 30/10/2009 14:32:38
Ok, to make the long story short, I want to start an HourGame competition on this board.

There have been regular contests in the past few weeks (and a quasi imprimatur by a moderator).

Check them to see what it is all about, and let us know what you think.

Seconded :)

The activity seems to have done quite well the last couple of weeks, and having it here makes more sence.

Gilbert

Actually I have mentioned in that other thread already, if you're certain that it could attract enough activity to make it regular, just start it here.

bicilotti

Quote from: Gilbet V7000a on Fri 30/10/2009 16:08:17
Actually I have mentioned in that other thread already, if you're certain that it could attract enough activity to make it regular, just start it here.

When we had this kind of competition on stickam there was a lot of activity followed by a hiatus period and so on.

I don't know, we might skip a turn if a contest gets deserted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk