Suggestions for competitions and activities

Started by Andail, Thu 29/06/2006 11:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

IndieBoy

It only stopped on Stickam because the next host wasn't always on Stickam at the same time as everyone else/the majority of people who would have entered. There was such a pause from that, that any "side" hour games were poorly entered until it stopped all together. Although I doubt this will happen with a forum of 4000 members (compared to the Stickam traffic of around 9 or 10 people maximum at one time). So I vote for it to come to C and A, but maybe a possible day change.
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

bicilotti

QuoteSo I vote for it to come to C and A, but maybe a possible day change.

I'm all ears.

IndieBoy

The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

bicilotti

Quote from: IndieBoy on Fri 30/10/2009 20:03:19
Sunday?

For me is as good as saturday (actually slightly better), let's see what other people think.

zabnat

Has there been other game creation competitions besides hourgame, OROW and MAGS? I'm thinking something longer than an hour and shorter than a week. Something like 8 hours (workdaygame ;)). That would give you some more time to polish the game. You might even get some animations done in that time. And compared to OROW you don't have to feel that it's unfair when you have to go to work and other can just work on their games ;).

IndieBoy

ThreeOhFour

Daygame would be sweet.

Consider me in favor of this idea!

zabnat

Well, the benefit with a 8 hour against 24 hour is that you can take part without losing sleep. Sure, you can only work on a game for 12 hours and then sleep for 12 hours, but competitive people will work on a game for the full 24 hours. I'm sure there are people here who just can't have the whole weekend for themselves, but would still like to participate in a such competition. Like people who have children, wifes, girlfriends etc. Benefit with 24 hours would be that everybody around the world would get the same amount of daytime to work on.

Since hourgame has been running quite nicely recently, one round could be used to test a longer timeline?

Tijne

I'm not a fan of 8hour games.  Yeah, they -could- work out..  But what 8 hours are we talking about?  I live in US, other people live in the Russia.  There's a huge time difference --   Would I be having hours between 10pm and 6am so they can work between 1pm and 9pm?  Or what?  This is my current trouble with the Hour games! X_X

24hrs gives everyone an equal chance to do it at their own leisure within a time period and makes them feel less stressed for time when their wife/kids/husband/friends/ex-roommate pops in and needs their help with something for an hour or two.   
There may be some people who take full advantage of the 24hrs, but I don't think it's a big deal or that common for a short time frame. ^_^

Bulbapuck

I'm also in favor of this idea, sounds fun!

I think we should start thinking about a day when we can do this, Saturday/Sunday this week? (Whenever the hourgame isn't) If we can't have it in the Comp&Act board we could always have it at the Adv.Rel.T&C board.

zabnat

Tijne, you do have a point. Actually I was thinking about Australia/Asia and thinking about how many members are from those regions and I totally forgot America. ;D
If only we could have a gps-time-locked-envelope that would open at 1pm local time and then you would put your game in the envelope 8 hours later before it would get locked. ;)
Then 24 hours would be ideal?

Dualnames

24 hours are good, and I suggest one competition per week. Or one every weekend?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

zabnat

Yes, on a weekend it would be best, but I have a feeling one competition per week would be too often. And ofcourse not at the same time as hourgame, probably not even on the same weekend. Maybe bi-weekly would be good?

FSi++

Quote from: zabnat on Mon 02/11/2009 15:56:42
Yes, on a weekend it would be best, but I have a feeling one competition per week would be too often. And ofcourse not at the same time as hourgame, probably not even on the same weekend. Maybe bi-weekly would be good?

Maybe inbetween hourgame competitions? E.g. hourgames on the odd weeks, 24h games on even.

IndieBoy

Saturday to Sunday? Saturday 9pm to Sunday 9pm or something? I would be game for that. At least I can go out Saturday and still have time to work on something the next day. Can someone work out when would be a reasonable time zone friendly time?

Oddysseus

I have a suggestion.  Back when I visited these forums regularly, the way the animation and color comps sometimes worked is that no one would post an entry for weeks on end.  At that point, the person who started the contest would post a complaint about the lack of entries, then the comp would either continue to drift on until it was given a mercy kill, or someone would post an entry out of pity.  That would result in an exchange somewhat like the following:

+Hey, I posted something.  Does that mean I won?
-You're the only one, so I guess.  Yeah, sure.
+Can I just start a new contest, or do I have to ask someone's permission, or what?
-No, you can just start it.
+Cool.

So my thought is, why not make the pity post an official part of the rules?  If a comp goes inactive (i.e. there are no entries for at least a week after the deadline) then the first person to post an entry automatically wins by default and can immediately start a new comp.  Making it part of the rules will eliminate confusion and those time-wasting 'Did I win?' 'Yeah, I guess' posts and hopefully give people incentive to create an entry, even if the deadline has long since passed.

Gilbert

I agree with this to some extend. It is important to keep sleeping activities active again but if people can start the new round once they post something it may lead to abuse, in case the "entries" actually aren't created with any effort and may not even follow the rule of the competition. So, we need at least some people to recognise it as an accepted entry first (not necessarily the original host, I guess a few people are enough, and of course, a single moderator can approve it also), then if all goes well he of course will win by default and can host the next round.

Bulbapuck

Hi!
I posted a suggestion in this week's hourgame, which was created so that all could join the awesomeness that is the Hourgame Saturday :)

Then I realized that the people who can't join the hourgame don't read that thread :P

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Fri 04/12/2009 11:00:43
So, I had an idea and I want people's opinion on it:

Having the "Hourgame Saturday" every week is fun, but it results in it being less special then it was before. Hence the amount of entries is falling.

So to get the most out of this event: here's my suggestion:
Have the hourgame every other week at 7:00 pm as usual, but every other week have it at 7:00 am.

I believe this would imply an increase in activity, and also allow everybody to join and not just the ones up at 7:00 pm.

Please post here what you think of this idea.

Initial reactions are positive, but they come from people who probably won't enter every other week.

So, some opinions from people who this applies to?
Maybe there's a better time?

Sledgy

Hello!

There's idea for competition: Secret Word

(description)

One guy create minigame and hide word in it (any ways). Another guys must guess this Secret Word, and winner'll create minigame with new word, etc.

For example and as first word:

http://jift.narod.ru/invis/x_word1.rar (500 kb)

So ok or sux?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk