Suggestions for competitions and activities

Started by Andail, Thu 29/06/2006 11:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

I also like, what ProgZmax started this month (Pixelween: Gui, Background & Character).
That would have also been a great opportunity for a workshop - of course a bit limited.

So to make it less complicated, maybe we could first choose a setting, eg. horror, romance, film noir, western etc.

I could imagine that it's easier to get started this way. Or even: let's vote for the topic and than some of you guys take over and e.g. provide a character sheet or whatever one uses to plan a background.

Questionable

All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Harbinger

About Writing Competition(s):

I know I'm a new-comer on the forum and I'm completely new to writing for video games, but I don't understand the writing competition. How is that supposed to help writing in video games (writing short stories and poems)? Though my research into this field has only started, there is one point that is clear. You don't write video games in the way you write for everything else. Though they incorporate certain aspects from other media types, games are a pretty different (and new). You can't write for a video game as you would write for a short story; it doesn't translate well.

Do I have a solution? No. At least not yet.

kconan

Quote from: Harbinger on Fri 19/11/2010 15:42:46
You can't write for a video game as you would write for a short story; it doesn't translate well.

You must think there is some translation.  In the "Offer Your Services" thread you mentioned winning a short story contest as your experience for writing a video game.

I do like the overall idea of a "game design outline" contest, though I don't know if that has been tried on here before.

Harbinger

Quote from: kconan on Fri 19/11/2010 16:26:16
Quote from: Harbinger on Fri 19/11/2010 15:42:46
You can't write for a video game as you would write for a short story; it doesn't translate well.

You must think there is some translation.  In the "Offer Your Services" thread you mentioned winning a short story contest as your experience for writing a video game.

I do like the overall idea of a "game design outline" contest, though I don't know if that has been tried on here before.

Yeah. It's probably not right, but-- for now-- I think you have to be a solid writer before you start writing things for games. And then it's one thing to just write dialog blurbs and another thing to create a plot/narrative that holds hands with gameplay to make the over all game immersive as possible. Before you just jump into writing whatever for games, you've got to understand how to craft a story (short story, screenplays, etc). Though in the future, one could probably jump straightaway to writing narrative for games (I mean, I see a few books emerging titled as "How to Write Narrative for Video Games" just like "How to write Screenplays").

I was also probably wrong to have said that I've won that or had a class. I didn't do research before that; I had just fiddled around with the AGS. There might be some translation, but if you try to write a game like for a short story, you'll end up with a bunch of cut scenes and a not-very-interactive game-- or that's my thought. And like I said, game writing incorporates some things from other mediums like short stories and screenplays, but you can't write a game as if you're writing for a movie or novel.

Dualnames

Personally I feel the writing competitions have helped my writing overall in games. I'd like to see a game design competition though for sure. I approve with all hands up regardless.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

loominous

So, any ideas on what a game design writing activity could look like?

I'm guessing that the most appealing aspects to writers would probably be stuff like: character backgrounds, dialogues, cutscenes, or similar, so it should probably incorporate some of those.

To avoid being limited to mere framework design, I guess something like the game's first cutscene could be included, kinda like a trailer, where you'd get the taste of the general atmosphere.

So for instance, with a theme like: 'The Kite Flying Society', the activity could include:

I) Designing the world
II) Designing the main story
III) Designing the (main) characters and their backgrounds
IV) Writing the intro

As a complete novice when it comes to writing, I'm just tossing out ideas.

This activity could work as a standalone one, or be part of a general game design activity.
Looking for a writer

Wonkyth

I'm not so hot at creating stories from scratch, but I'd love to see more design-oriented competitions.
To try and stay more on topic, and to actually contribute, I will say that I absolutely love this:
Quote from: loominous on Fri 19/11/2010 22:52:45
I) Designing the world
Those are things I do on a regular basis - I usually get into double figures every week - and rather enjoy doing.
Once it get's down to the semantics of game story design, I tend to lose it.  :P
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

m0ds

An Xmas competition where you have to make a game as an individual or a team for Christmas with any kind of Christmas theme, and there are prizes for the winning team. But please let me know if I can run this by the 7th!  :=

* Title of activity
An AGS Christmas

* A thorough description of its concept and purpose (educational or entertaining?)
Make a game of any kind using AGS with a Christmas theme for release by 23rd December 2010.

* Periodicity (how long each round will be and how often it will occur)
From Andail's approval through til 23rd December.

* Type of competition: Will there be a winner, who will elect the winner (if there is a vote, how long will voting go on)
A panel, including Santa Claus, DualNames and IceyGames will judge your game on a) Overall fun b) Innovative use of AGS c) Original art and content and d) Greatest sensation of Christmas

* Thread administrator: Will the activity/competition be maintained by the winner of the previous round, or by the same person every time?
This is a one off, anyone is eligible to participate, a small committee will decide the winner. There is no reprise until Xmas 2011. A small number of prizes will be awarded to the winning team, including a commercial AGS game and a graphic depicting you and Christmas.

Joseph DiPerla

Based on some discussion here:

Title: "The AGS Films and TV Competition"

Held: Every three months, the competition itself will last three months.

Minimum Entry rules: Must be either a first person or third person adventure game. It must contain a minimum of 5 rooms, 2 puzzles and 2 characters.

Rules: Each Game entered must be original and not already released in any form. It cannot be a remake. However, prior artwork from other games can be used. The game must be made using any version of AGS. The Game may have any type of graphics, GUI, options, etc... that is typically found in a point and click adventure. Each entry can consist of a team of 1 or higher, but no more than 5.

Thread Administrator:  I will host the competition myself. The winner(s) (Whether one individual or a team) must collectively host and decide what the next show/film and its features will be. A thread administrator can participate only on a team project, not on his own project and cannot be the project leader either. The same goes with the current host. However, if the current host consists of more than one member, they must then wait until the current period of the competition is over.

Type of Competition: Each competition will have a winner and will be decided by a poll vote from the members of the AGS Community. The vote will last only a week and begins immediately after the deadline. If there is only one entry, then they automatically are the winners for that period of the competition. If there are no entries, then the competition will be extended one more month. If there is still no entry, the competition is scrapped and the current host must pick a new show or movie to base the competition on. If three periods of a competition in a row have no participation, then the competition will be scrapped all-together.

Description of the competition:

The AGS TV and Film competition is a competition where one or more members get together to develop a game based on either a TV Show or Movie decided upon the current competitions host or winner. The game can be based on any current or older tv show or film with the exception of reality tv shows. Crossovers are allowed. Comic book themes are also allowed as long as that particular comic story has been made into a movie or tv show. Cameo's of characters are also allowed. This allows the community to create games based on their favorite films or tv shows that would have otherwise never developed into a film. Each period of the competition can have certain rules that apply to it, such as how the ending will be or what items must be used, which characters must be used or excused etc... The rules completely lies with the host of the competition.

If we have any takers, please vote and agree to this competition.

Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Snake

I think this is a great idea!

Although joining and making a game is unlikely for me ;)
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Derrick Freeland

Quote from: loominous on Fri 19/11/2010 22:52:45
So, any ideas on what a game design writing activity could look like?

I'm guessing that the most appealing aspects to writers would probably be stuff like: character backgrounds, dialogues, cutscenes, or similar, so it should probably incorporate some of those.

To avoid being limited to mere framework design, I guess something like the game's first cutscene could be included, kinda like a trailer, where you'd get the taste of the general atmosphere.

So for instance, with a theme like: 'The Kite Flying Society', the activity could include:

I) Designing the world
III) Designing the (main) characters and their backgrounds
IV) Writing the intro

As a complete novice when it comes to writing, I'm just tossing out ideas.

This activity could work as a standalone one, or be part of a general game design activity.

I think these are good ideas for a framework.  Right now, I'm using a tree editor to write the script for my game.  It don't know how easy it would be for participants to submit and exchange tree editor documents, but it's a great way for someone to 'read' your game.  Navigating and reading through the various branches plays a bit like a text adventure.  You can't get too in-depth with puzzles, but you can present the basic concepts in the order that they would appear in game.  Just a thought.

Bulbapuck

I was wondering about OROW.

I'm not going to host it this year, but if there are any volunteers I would gladly join :D

neon

I don't know if somebody came up with this idea before. In a video interview I have seen recently (not published yet), an old school adventure game designer mentioned, how much room for imagination in adventure games has been taken away from the players by inventing graphics in the games. I thought about it and wondered how much different the scenes would look like if different people tried to draw a scene that is only described by text.

The idea for a competition is to post a room description from a text adventure game and let people draw that scene to see how different the picture of the inner eye is in different minds.

What do you think about that idea? Do you think it could work?

Wonkyth

Love it.
I might even enter, but not with anything worthwhile. :P
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Atelier

Quote from: neon on Fri 24/06/2011 17:55:31
I don't know if somebody came up with this idea before. In a video interview I have seen recently (not published yet), an old school adventure game designer mentioned, how much room for imagination in adventure games has been taken away from the players by inventing graphics in the games. I thought about it and wondered how much different the scenes would look like if different people tried to draw a scene that is only described by text.

The idea for a competition is to post a room description from a text adventure game and let people draw that scene to see how different the picture of the inner eye is in different minds.

What do you think about that idea? Do you think it could work?

This sounds awesome. Maybe it can be folded into the next background blitz, just for fun?
It sounds too similar to the background blitz so I don't know whether both would be able to run parallel.

Why do we not have a YAGS? Or even a DAGS? Or a CAGS?

Blue

I remember some time ago loominous made a workshop themed Background Blitz in the competitions forum.
I thought it could be really cool to have more of these workshops - With focus on a specific area. Could be backgrounds, drawing rooms, choosing the right colours, shading or walk-animation. There you could train your skills and get help from those who are good at it.

That's why we have the Critics Lounge you might think - That's true, but in a workshop you're working with a specific issue rather than posting a drawing you want people to critique.
If such a workshop - or workshops were to be created I would love to see people like loominous and/or zyndikate as mentors.

Just a wish/suggestion :) What do you guys think of that idea?

Sledgy

My suggestions :)

3 in 1: Jack, Chuck, Glory

Series like RoN. Main hero is schizo, he has three personalities: Jack, Chuck and Glory. Jack is normal state. Chuck is crazy & dirty. Glory is very happy guy (as sectarian).

In the first episode the hero (and each personalities) doesn't know about his split personality. And it happens uncontrollably. Each personality has special abilities and nature of the action.

The hero lives in the house, works in the simple office job... And nobody knows about his 'secret', but SUDDENLY after very bad gap with some girl the hero'll become to fail...

Each AGSer create episode with new plot and characters.

Mystic Thing

Mystic (LOST-like, for ex.) + RoN-style. The first AGSer'll create LAST episode of the series. Then next AGSer'll create previous episode, etc. I.e. inverse.

AGSers'll create plot on the run in the back order. New (new previous ;)) episode will clarify some things and create new secrets.

When AGSers'll reach the first episode (which clarify all or almost all things), some AGSer or all together ;) will create REALLY LAST episode, i.e. after the 'LAST' episode (which was the first, really))

Episodes could be in any style (but better be adventures), from any character vision.

Real people: The Series

Again RoN-like.

Each character is managed by defined AGSer. Also one AGSer can has several characters. And also there could be NPC (monsters, ...) which haven't assigns to defined AGSer.

Episode creator talks to AGSers via PM about their dialogs in his episode. And the creator doesn't spoil (doesn't say anothers' dialogs to other AGSer-character-holders).

Before this each AGSer, member of this thing, must write in defined thread about their characters (i.e. they'll create chars). With sprites or without it (so the creator use any sprites for it).

Assigned AGSer (characters holder) manages dialogs and actions of his characters in all episodes. The episode creator must to PM all holders for it.

It's like tactics adventure game with real people.

Triple Hourgame

As three hourgames in a row, but with one game. And AGSer can't change previous version of his game, he can only continue to make it (i.e. add new stuff, not replace).

There're three topics. The 2nd, 3rd topics are told only when previous hour is gone. i.e. in a row. AGSers don't know next topic while hour doesn't finish.

And topics could be trash and very different (for fun))

So this competitions for 3 hours. And also after it each AGSer'll present own (triple-hourgamed) game.

dracony

Hello, I represent a small company, and I'd like to announce a contest for best character/animation of a computer fairy (I'll write details if I'm allowed to post a contest)  with a prize of 50$. How would that sound?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk