Suggestions for competitions and activities

Started by Andail, Thu 29/06/2006 11:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbert

Sure. It was popular and I'd like to see a comeback too.
If you want you can start a new round. Otherwise we may see whether there are volunteers and if not, I will start it.

WHAM

I would like to request permission to start a new forum-game similiar to this one: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44156.0

I've prepped enough material for a new game to get it started, and just like before, I'll make more up as I go. Hopefully we'll have as much fun, if not more, than in the last game. :)

The name of the game (and the thread) would be: "Afrika Korps - A community roleplaying adventure in 1942"
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Eric

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 05/10/2012 20:26:49Afrika Korps

This game is already darker than the last one and it hasn't even started yet.

Gilbert

Yeah. Go ahead WHAM. One suggestion though, is that maybe you should keep the game's name on the subject each time. That only the chapter's title was shown in the topic and that the whole thread's name changed whenever a new chapter started was quite confusing. Something like "gamename - chapter x" would be better.

BTW, would you like me to lock the thread of the last game now, or do you want to keep it open for a while to receive more comments?

WHAM

This time the game name is set, no changing the thread name every now and then. In the last game I hadn't even planned a full name that would describe the whole story (at the beginning it would have been a spoiler!), but this time it at least describes the setup and instead the players will be affecting the story in different ways. You'll see, I hope.

The old thread can be locked later today in my opinion, since the story of it is no longer developing. I'll add one more post to it, telling people they can PM me or find the new game in a new thread first.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Gilbert

NightHawk

How about a monthy RoN like competition where the monthly winner's game gets made canon to the story series

cat

Ponch

Quote from: cat on Thu 11/04/2013 16:20:25
What about another OROW?
Ditto. We're way overdue for a new OROW, don't you think?

A RON (or OSD) contest might be nice too. :smiley:

Miez

ThreeOhFour

Ghost

ZapZap

So who should we ask for permission?  :cheesy:
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Gilbert

Yeah, since it's been a while after the last round, any person who wants to be responsible and has the rule set thought out already may attempt to start a new round.

You are also free to start a new thread in this section to discuss about rules, dates, etc. before making the real thing.

Stupot

I had an idea for a little art game where we start with a blank jigsaw template and take it in turns to draw a new piece of the jigsaw and eventually ending up with a somewhat seamless (hopefully) image.

Maybe I would start the first one and to avoid two or more people clashing over the same puzzle piece, we could get 12 people to claim which parts they are doing before we actually start drawing.  Each person has to try to make their piece work well with the pieces around it, while also trying to set up interesting challenges for the people who have yet to take their turn on the blank pieces adjacent to it.

How does this sound?  I would probably wait until after the Workshop is over before starting this, in case anyone taking part in that wants to join this too, but is worried about time. But just thought I'd throw this idea to out there and see if anyone's interested.

I'd start with this small 12-piecer, but if it goes well we could do it again with an even larger puzzle.

Gilbert

Sounds to me a good idea. Just make a new thread with the dimension requirements and set a deadline?

DBoyWheeler

I've finally come up with a new activity, to go along with MAGS and OROW... if it's okay with all y'all!
-----
Title: Cross Cultural Exposure

Description: A crazy idea... of combining Japanese anime/manga characters with Western adventure games (both well-known and obscure).  For example, Sailor Moon and the other Sailor scouts in the Space Quest universe.  Or Dragon Ball (original, Z, or GT) in the Quest for Glory universe.  Or maybe One Piece characters in the Monkey Island world (if either of which is your thing).  Perhaps you'd prefer Cardcaptor Sakura in Discworld or Kyrandia.

Or maybe the other way around, with the Daventry Royal Family in one medieval-themed anime (or maybe in the Saint Seiya universe), or Roger Wilco in one of the Tenchi anime (Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Universe, or Tenchi in Tokyo).  Or maybe something as crazy as Rincewind (from Discworld) in the world of Pokemon!

Whatever it is, just take one anime and one Western (American or European) adventure game, and find a way to combine the two.

Periodicity: Have it occur every three months (yep, a seasonal thing), and have it last about a month long.

Type of competition: There is a winner involved, and voting will go for two weeks after the main competition time ends.

Thread administrator: The winner gets to pick the theme of the next "Cross Cultural Exposure".
-----

So... if this is a go, who wants to pick the first anime/adventure game combo?

Khris

This is way too specific for a recurring contest. (I'm also tempted to make some tactless comment about furries :-D)

Problem

I think Khris is right. Your idea could be a nice theme for a single MAGS competition, but for a seasonal event it will wear off too quickly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk