Suggestions for competitions and activities

Started by Andail, Thu 29/06/2006 11:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoyWheeler

dactylopus

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 14/05/2013 12:19:43
I had an idea for a little art game where we start with a blank jigsaw template and take it in turns to draw a new piece of the jigsaw and eventually ending up with a somewhat seamless (hopefully) image.

Maybe I would start the first one and to avoid two or more people clashing over the same puzzle piece, we could get 12 people to claim which parts they are doing before we actually start drawing.  Each person has to try to make their piece work well with the pieces around it, while also trying to set up interesting challenges for the people who have yet to take their turn on the blank pieces adjacent to it.

How does this sound?  I would probably wait until after the Workshop is over before starting this, in case anyone taking part in that wants to join this too, but is worried about time. But just thought I'd throw this idea to out there and see if anyone's interested.

I'd start with this small 12-piecer, but if it goes well we could do it again with an even larger puzzle.
I like this idea.  I think it would work really well.  I've seen many similar works on PixelJoint, and they really turned out well.  Here's an example, their current isometric collaboration:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/P7L2rBd.gif[/imgzoom]
Of course, that's specific to pixel art on a forum dedicated to the form.

Music group Bent has used similar art by artist Rob White as album covers.  Here's an example:
[imgzoom]http://www.thearthole.co.uk/clients/ministryofsoundrecordings/ministryofsoundrecordings_bent_always_front_cover.jpg[/imgzoom]

I think AGSers would be able to do something similar if the idea was to make a 'background' type image.  Kind of like a collaborative Background Blitz.

You've got my support.

selmiak

there once was something similar and it produced 7 contributions and iirc I still have one of the hidden pieces on my hdd...

dactylopus

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 11/07/2013 16:25:55
there once was something similar and it produced 7 contributions and iirc I still have one of the hidden pieces on my hdd...
That's awesome.  I hadn't seen that, but it's another great idea.

I think both of these would make for fun activities, but maybe only one of them should run at a time.  Unless the idea is to keep the Exquisite Corpse going indefinitely, in which case we could either continue that old one or start anew at any time.

I wouldn't think the collaborative background would be fit for a Blitz, but it is similar.  Not sure how that one should be organized.  To solve issues of choosing the puzzle pieces, PixelJoint's collaborative project had rules like this:

"The first 5 tiles may be anywhere at all and require no neighboring tiles."
"From the 6th tile on your tile MUST have at least one neighboring tile already posted that your tile blends into."

Of course, they had 72 tiles in that image.  There are also rules about palettes, scale, and light sources to keep things consistent.

I'm just posting this for reference in case it would help anyone who decides to run one of these activities.  I'd love to see it, even if only as an observer, but it might be a good challenge for me as an artist as well.

shadowface

I have a question if I want to start a  competition for art in my game will it be OK?

selmiak

for you always :=

Anyways, wasn't there a Photoshopping competition once. I was reading about the Typhoon on the Philippines and as sad and dramatic this all is, this one guy with his precious loot just deserves to be photoshopped :D

Gilbert

Yeah, it's a pity the PS competition isn't active for quite a while now. Since you have an idea, if you are willing to host the next round, just make a new topic. :smiley:

Janos Biro

I had an idea for a new competition. It's the Play a Song Competition.

The challenge is to create a short game inspired by a song. Like other competitions, the winner of the last round choose the song for the next round. He can provide a YouTube link to the music video, for example. The rules are the same as the MAGS competition, but with 3 months to make the game, and no need to use original art. The game should be evaluated in the following categories:

1. Consistency with the theme: Does the game story really fits with the song?

2. Concept: Does the game design explores good ideas inspired by the song?

3. Elaboration: Does the game really executes the concept?

What do you think? I would love to see some games based on my favorite songs.
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

Problem

That's an interesting theme, but imho it's too limited for a recurring competition, it would wear off quickly. Though it would make for great MAGS theme.

Janos Biro

Thanks for your comment. I will keep that in mind.
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

GreenBeams

Any chance of bringing the One Room One Week competition? :)

cat

I think this is a good idea, but it should not overlap with loominous' Background Workshop.

Stupot

I'd be up for a little OROW at some point.

Radiant

xil

Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

GreenBeams

Quote from: cat on Sun 31/05/2015 09:39:53
I think this is a good idea, but it should not overlap with loominous' Background Workshop.

I agree. Perhaps when that's all sorted out we can approach it again? It's good to see that there's some interest in it though. One of the reasons i prefer this to MAGS is i feel it'll be more forgiving to those (well, me) who haven't built a game from scratch before. :)

Retro Wolf

Bulbapuck

Love me some OROW! I could host it if noone else is up for it, done it once before and it was fun :smiley:

Retro Wolf

Bulbapuck! I choose you! Use Topic starter!

Bulbapuck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk