Infinite Monkeys (now also in Portuguese)

Started by Radiant, Fri 30/06/2006 01:05:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

From the twisted mind that brought you META...

Infinite Monkeys is a quirky adventure game involving elves, zombies, a chessboard, Mittens, a zoo, a flying city, a moonbase, a time machine, and numerous other odds and ends. In the midst of all this chaos, can you stop the evil villain's plans before new year?

This unique game was written for the fifth anniversary MAGS contest, that suggested you pick one out of any of the topics for the previous five years, by picking all listed topics at the same time. Hence, Infinite Monkeys follows every single rule posed in every single MAGS competition over the past five years. It also features an innovative interface that steps away from the low amount of verbs in adventure games, and of course monkeys!

Featuring a futuristic past with zombies, a flying city, elves, Mittens, a zoo, a supervillain, and time travel. If that didn't make sense to you, you must definitely play this game to find out.

http://crystalshard.net/index.php?g=10

Includes a German translation. Enjoy!

SSH

When right-dragging, I got:

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An internal error has occured. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, contact Chris Jones.
(ACI version 2.72.908)

Error: run_text_script1: error -6 running function 'on_event':
Error: Array index out of bounds (index: -1, bounds: 0..3)
in Global script (line 458)

OK   

Radiant

Noted, thanks. Dragging a verb or a GUI, btw? Try left-dragging, that should work :)

(edit) I am unable to reproduce this. Could you please indicate what exactly you were dragging, and where to?

Lotta Bromé

Hm, I'm not getting anywhere in this game. Got two hats and a feather. And I've done the puzzle on Bin Ladens computer :D. A little tip, anyone?

Radiant

Most people in the game need something, or need help with something. Talk to them and figure out what it is... I believe all puzzles have a clue in either the 'look' or the 'talk' response.

Oh, and wear the hats. See if something happens.

Hammerite

Quote from: insanity prophecy on Fri 30/06/2006 07:47:19
Hey, the graphics look great!

I also like the inventory on the side for a change, I wish I'd thought of doing that before I finished my first game.

:(

Sorry, I would download right now, but I'm only on dial-up connection at the moment, it'll have to wait.

insanity prophecy

o come on, its only 1 meg
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Ali

This looks nice, but I won't have a chance to play it for a while. I just want to know, does the title have anything to do with the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

"Ford, there's an infinite number of monkeys outside..."

Kweepa

Quote from: Ali on Sat 01/07/2006 17:01:24
I just want to know, does the title have anything to do with the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Wow. What happened to the British education system? :=
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkeys (see Origins)

To reproduce the right-drag crash, expand the verb panel, then right drag one of the blue edges onto the main play window.

For the game itself, wow! Twisted mind indeed. Fantastic concept, and so far it seems extremely well executed. Must finish...
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Babar

Very innovative interface, but I think it was too much. I guess there is such a thing as being "too innovative". The draggy GUI thing got me confounded on the issue of "Where should I keep it?!" Constantly moving it about incase something important is hidden behind it got me annoyed. And with so many actions, it took me very long to find the simple ones I want (like take). Then I also started looking for "walk" only to remember after 5 minutes of searching that it was with the other mouse button!

Non-withstanding the criticism, it's a very wacky (in a good sense) game. So far, so fun.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Radiant

Thanks.

I promise that if you keep the GUIs at either the top or the bottom, they won't obscure anything important on the screen. I'm not entirely sure about the sides, though.

Oh by the way, for people who want to see more of the game in short order, the ^X teleport debug key is enabled (although it will cause your inventory to vanish, so you can't actually use it to win the game). This allows you to visit the lunar bunker, among others. And room #7 has a rather nice puzzle, if I may say so myself.

KristjanMan

This game is crazy!!!!!!!!!

I like it...  ;D
- They are all from AGS coloringball

Ali

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sat 01/07/2006 18:00:46
Quote from: Ali on Sat 01/07/2006 17:01:24
I just want to know, does the title have anything to do with the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

[embarrassed]Ah... well I was tought that in school, but I have only just realised that the Hitchiker's Guide was referencing that theory. Looks like monkeys can write Hamlet but I can't put two and two together.[/embarrassed]

Snarky

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sat 01/07/2006 18:00:46

Yeah, and products of the American education system insist that "If you give a monkey a typewriter, he will type the Bible."

m0ds

A crazy little game!! I'm still playing :D Nice work though Radiant!!

ness

Thanks Radiant. I really enjoyed that once I got the hang of the GUI. It had some wicked humour. For instance if you insult the bouncer you get kicked out. Loved that. You are quite a genius aren't you? Ã,  ;D
Take the road less travelled.... you won't meet so many idiots on the way.

ness

Not sure if this is a bug, but I didn't need to move the dancers to get to the jukebox. Just cruised across the dancefloor, doing a bit of a John Travolta on the way. Yeehar!
Take the road less travelled.... you won't meet so many idiots on the way.

Phemar

Radiant I was playing your game when I managed to reproduce SSH's bug. I was in the first room and I right clicked from the bottom right and pulled all the way to the top-left.

I think I also found another bug: I was idly looking at all the verbs (in the first room), then I closed the GUI and suddenly I was in the spaceship except I was invisible but I could still look at things etc.

Radiant

Quote from: ness on Tue 11/07/2006 00:28:27
Not sure if this is a bug, but I didn't need to move the dancers to get to the jukebox. Just cruised across the dancefloor, doing a bit of a John Travolta on the way. Yeehar!

Yep, that's a bug. Try solving the puzzle anyway :)

Quote from: Zor on Wed 12/07/2006 09:30:06
Radiant I was playing your game when I managed to reproduce SSH's bug.
Yeah, me too. The workaround is simply to not use the right mouse button to click and drag.

I think I also found another bug: I was idly looking at all the verbs (in the first room), then I closed the GUI and suddenly I was in the spaceship
That's not a bug, you clicked on the Switch verb.

Radiant

Well, it's been awhile, but here's an update for Infinite Monkeys.

First, there's now a German translation available, courtesy of Askarys.

And second, by popular request I've added more hints to the game to make it easier. Or perhaps I should say "less difficult".

http://crystalshard.net/index.php?g=10

Radiant

Now also available in Portuguese!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk