The Shivah

Started by Dave Gilbert, Sat 01/07/2006 04:39:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

Winner of the June 2006 M.A.G.S competition.

Download HERE

Shivah: The seven days of Jewish mourning following the death of a close relative

Russell Stone works as a Jewish Rabbi at a poor synagogue in New York City.  He is a devout man with a problem.  Membership is way down and he lacks the funds to keep his synagogue open. Things are looking very bleak, and he has grown progressively more cynical and bitter with the passage of time.

Just as he is on the verge of packing it all in, he receives some interesting news.  A former member of his congregation has died and left the rabbi a significant amount of money.  

A blessing?  Or the start of something far more sinister?  Can Rabbi Stone just accept the money and move on?  His conscience says no.  Step into his shoes as he travels all over Manhattan in his attempt to uncover the truth.

Features rabbinical conversation methods, a unique method of fighting, an original score (around 10 musical tracks), and three different endings!

Demo: FREE!
Full version: $4.99

(The demo allows you to play the first few scenes of the game, and then shows you a movie-style trailer to give you a taste of the rest)

Some screenshots:

Rabbi Stone does not like visitors.

Bring hope and joy to others

Make friends easily

Shmooze with your rabbinical brethren.

This game was made for the June 2006 MAGS competition, so I consider this version a "public beta".  I was working up until the deadline to get rid of all the bugs, but I'm sure some still fell through the cracks.  Any comments are appreciated.

Update v1.1 - July 2, 2006: fixed a small bug that could cause the game to give you the wrong ending.

pslim

I've been excited about this game coming out since you started posting stuff in the CL.

So far, it looks really great. The inventory-of-clues is awesome, and it really supports the dialogue-driven puzzle concept.  ;D

Pete

Absolutely fantastic! I've only started playing, and I love it. The graphics are nice, the story is quite interesting so far, and the dialogue is ace. Good work.

By the way, whatever happened to the (commercial?) sequel to Bestowers of Eternity? I really enjoyed the (quite short) first part of it, and would be sad to hear that a sequel is not planned anymore...

Ciao.

Grundislav

Another great game from Mr. Gilbert.  I finished it and enjoyed every minute of it.  It was extremely well-written, and fun.  Some clever puzzles, and great dialogues.  Excellent work by ProgZMax on the character portraits.

Great work!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Thanks!  I had fun cranking them out every time Dave decided someone needed a new emotion.

Kweepa

Yes, awesome work all 'round!
Very well written and enjoyable.
Now get back to BoE.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

aussie

Dave has done it again!

Congrats.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Nacho

I have been witness of the producing this game, and I've slowly felt in love with it. I can't really say how gealous I am of this guys!!! I'd kill for being able to give such atmosphere with the simplicity of the bgs graphics made by Dr. Scary... The portaits are simply awesome, Prog, and the story and the dialogues are so cool that I suddenly wanted to go to the closer Sinagogue and convert...

But the best of all is that you don't need to be jew for enjoying this. Actually I think that NOT being jew makes this more enjoyable, because, whereas the american players might be used to this people and their religion, for me, as a Spanish, it's been like a trip.

But just a trip where you must sit, see and relax, no need to make a great intelectual effort, because (tiny spoiler)
Spoiler
whereas the main character is a Rabbi, this is not a religious game.
[close]

Great game, congratulations to all the team!
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

eyeCoof

just finished it, enjoyed it immensely, especially the final sequence, was very much fun. being jewish (and a hebrew, and somewhat yiddish) speaker added to my understanding of the game, especially dug the jewish, "galut" humor.
A joo who does not believe in miracles is not a realist.

Dave Gilbert

I'm happy everyone is enjoying this game.  Don't forget to vote.  I'll be your bestest friend forever if you do.

Farl, if you are serious about converting I know a Rabbi who can help you. ;)

Steel Drummer

This game looks interesting. I'd download, but I have dialup. I'll download when I have some spare time, though.
I'm composing the music for this game:

Hammerite

I BEG OF YE!
GET BROADBAND!!
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Steel Drummer

I can do whatever I feel like, gosh.  ::)
I'm composing the music for this game:

Hammerite

i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Greyarea

This game was superb, I really enjoyed Rabbi Stone and his struggel with depression and faith. The whole use of Jewish religon and culture was pretty neat but not to heavy or deep. The atmospehre was not as tense and involving as Bestower of Eternity but since all this was done in one month this is understandable, all in all this game deserves 10/10 on a scal from one to awsome!

edmundito

Well, that was fun! I really liked the characters, specially Rabbi Stone.

I also liked how you have the power over people's lives and deaths. I've really never felt the kind of emotion in a game where I would have to let people live or die. Most games you get the cold "eh, it is my duty to complete the objectives" response, and you end up killing as many as you can, without remorse.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

miryoku_81

I'm enjoying the game so far.Ã,  However, I don't like having the ability to save over old files.Ã,  Everytime I save I have to create a brand new save file.Ã,  Since I'm somebody who likes to save frequently and try every conversation branch (I'm obsessive, I know), this can get a bit tiresome.Ã, 

Update: I completed the game and I really enjoyed it and because I liked it so much my only complaint (aside from the save situation) is that the game isn't longer.Ã,  It was a lot of fun discovering all of the different endings especially the ones involving moral dilemmas.Ã,  A highly enjoyable game with realistic character reactions (especially Mrs. Lauder and Rabbi Stone).

Dr. Scary

Quote from: miryoku_81 on Sun 02/07/2006 04:43:37
However, I don't like having the ability to save over old files.  Everytime I save I have to create a brand new save file.  Since I'm somebody who likes to save frequently and try every conversation branch (I'm obsessive, I know), this can get a bit tiresome.

Yeah, the save menu was the last thing added to the game and suffered due to lack of time. :)

Farlander: Thank you for those great words of encouragement! It means especially much when coming from a skilled artist as yourself.

I'm humbled by the great reception this game has gotten. Thank you all!

Oh, and don't forget to vote! ;)

Dennis Ploeger

Hi!

Very nice game, although I found the linking of the clues a bit strange and not intuitive. But very nice story!

Btw: What was the previous MAGS-theme you've picked for the game? (Like said in the MAGS rules for june)

Just curious.

Kind regards,
Dennis
deep

Dave Gilbert

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk