AGS Linux 2.71 Binaries Released (Updated)

Started by EvilTypeGuy, Tue 21/03/2006 04:09:39

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilTypeGuy

Moderators, please sticky this topic, unsticky all existing 'AGS Linux' topics if possible.

AGS 2.71 Final 2 runtime has been posted the Linux AGS website here:

http://drevil.warpcore.org/ags/

A reminder that the Linux version does NOT support plugins or movie playback (except FLC). Allegro IS NOT required to run AGS 2.60 or newer.

Edit: Oops, I just reposted the binaries with correct static linking.

strazer

MugOGrog

Just thought I'd throw in here that you can probably run AGS Linux on a modified xbox console. I haven't tried it yet as my game isn't close enough to finished to warrent testing yet, but I do have linux running on my xbox currently.

strazer

Just got around to testing this. Running it by itself or with any game produces

Quote from: AGS Linux v2.71
ags: error while loading shared libraries: liballeg.so.4.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

After I've installed the (Debian) liballegro4.2 package that contains this file I get:

Quote from: AGS Linux v2.71
symbol lookup error: ags: undefined symbol: _x_magic_screen_width

AGS Linux v2.70 still works fine. Any ideas?

Edit:

Nevermind, I didn't see your edit. Apparently I still had the dynamically linked version. Works now.

Edit 2:

I've encountered a problem concerning translation files with the StarGate Adventure game: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=23288.msg325404#msg325404

Here's the setup file as distributed in the package: http://www.strazer.net/ags/acsetup.cfg

EvilTypeGuy

It's usually best if users just delete the acsetup.cfg included with Windows AGS games and run ags-setup instead. I don't really want to put code into AGS to try to detect and convert line endings and then write the file back out. The AGS runtime engine itself isn't supposed to modify the acsetup.cfg as far as I'm aware. In this particular case, I recommend deleting the acsetup.cfg and then re-generating it using ags-setup.

strazer

Sure, but the engine shouldn't just crash like that?
It wouldn't have to modify the config file, just run the game regardless of whether the configuration is Windows- or Linux-based, or at least present a more meaningful error message.

EvilTypeGuy

Probably, I just don't like the idea of adding special code to AGS for the Linux port unless I have to.

renier

I've experienced the following problem when using ags (the Linux port):

When playing "Fatman" and "5 days a stranger", and a text box pops up (like when looking at an object in the game), it shows with a transparent background which makes the text hard to read.
I have not tested any other games than the two mentioned above.

I am using ags-2.71.894. I wonder if this has been fixed in 2.72 and I just have to wait for that one to be recompiled for Linux, as I don't see 2.72 in the list at http://drevil.warpcore.org/ags/download.html.

So is this a known bug? and if so, has it been fixed in 2.72? if not a known bug, any suggestions? Might it be a video card/X windows problem, for example?

Cheers,

Renier

EvilTypeGuy

Since the engine on Linux is the same as the Windows one for the most part, the Linux port very rarely has any issues that the Windows version doesn't. The thing to remember is that the latest version of the Linux engine may not work the same as the version of the engine that came with the game you downloaded. Since the AGS runtime engine is not guaranteed to backwards compatible with games created with older versions of the engine, they sometimes break in newer versions.

The short version is: new engine versions are not guaranteed to work correctly with older AGS games.

renier

Thanks for the tip. I tracked down the year in which 5 days was released (2003) and downloaded a linux port from that year (2.56.636). Worked like a charm. No more transparent text prompts. Worked with Fatman, too, which was released the same year.

--Renier

EvilTypeGuy

I'm in Australia for a while, so I don't have access to my build system. Until I return to the USA, or I get access to my build machine again, the AGS Linux runtime won't be updated. I'm tentatively scheduled to return to the USA in mid August.

strazer

Can you give us an update, please? I'd like to play The Shivah, but that was made with AGS v2.72.

EvilTypeGuy

Quote from: strazer on Tue 07/11/2006 15:29:22
Can you give us an update, please? I'd like to play The Shivah, but that was made with AGS v2.72.

After I returned I discovered that my Linux distribution would not work on my new workstation. However, the one that I plan on using from now on has finally released a fixed version and I can run it. I plan on setting up my build environment and releasing 2.72 very soon.

Wormsie

I have a problem with Trilby's Notes. (The Apprentice -games work and so does 1213). The palette of the game looks weird and wrong. Any tips?

EDIT: Oh, sorry. Trilby's Notes was probably made with AGS 2.72.

strazer

I had a similar problem with a game that has a blue tint to it:

Quote from: EvilTypeGuy on Wed 12/01/2005 00:36:56Yes, that may happen depending on the colour depth your game is setup for or the colour depth that the X server of the Linux user is using.

I think passing --15bit to the ags executable will usually fix that.

When that didn't work:

Quote from: EvilTypeGuy on Wed 12/01/2005 07:15:31
Ah, a 256 colour game. Not surprising then. Allegro under X11 has some rather bizarre colour conversion, whether because of X11 itself or Allegro, I don't know.

Sometimes running XFree86 in 16-bit color depth will allow you to "workaround" this. But, I don't know of any fix for ags itself.

I don't remember having these problems with other games since, so maybe it has something to do with the game.

deadsuperhero

Hey,
I just recently made the switch from Windows to Ubuntu, is this AGS Linux compatible with Ubuntu?
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

strazer

It runs on my Debian which Ubuntu is based on, so I would say yes!

deadsuperhero

I tried installing the latest release, unfortunately I got some sort of error about missing fies. Maybe I'm just installing it wrong, this stuff is all very different to me.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

strazer

How did you "install" it and what's the error message you get?

EvilTypeGuy

Quote from: EvilTypeGuy on Thu 23/11/2006 02:20:20
Quote from: strazer on Tue 07/11/2006 15:29:22

After I returned I discovered that my Linux distribution would not work on my new workstation. However, the one that I plan on using from now on has finally released a fixed version and I can run it. I plan on setting up my build environment and releasing 2.72 very soon.

I've had quite a few difficulties in building 2.72 due to Allegro changes, various personal events, and other things as well. However, I'm very close to releasing it once I get some source code I'm missing. The build is almost complete. Sorry for taking so long. I expect to post it later this week.

Edit by strazer:

AGS Linux v2.72 released

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk