Duty and Beyond

Started by Mordalles, Wed 12/07/2006 22:54:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Mordalles

WANDERING ADVENTURES presents:

Follow the adventures of Piet, a local pizza delivery guy, as he embarks on an epic journey to deliver a pizza to a mysterious customer.

A game inspired by the roger/ego-ratings-sprite.  ;D

Team:

Mordalles: Story, Puzzles, Graphics, Sound, Portraits, Animation, Scripting, Beta-testing.
Buloght: Portraits, Beta-testing.
The Scorposer: Music, Sound, Beta-testing.

DOWNLOAD. 
4.1MB

Hope you enjoy. Sorry again for those who were confronted by bugs. and thanks for letting me know.

BUG FIXES:
- fixed the invisible ladder bug. for those of you who downloaded the game before 16:48, 13 july 2006, just don't interact with the invisible ladder before you talked with a ghost.  ;)
- also fixed the invisible door bug. so, pretty much don't click on anything invisible  if you haven't got the latest version.  ;D
- fixed the dead-snake bug.
- fixed the floating-merchant-bug.
- fixed the losing-squirrel-bug and some other minor ones as well.

if you need a reason to download it . . . the music is excellent.  ;D

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

The Ivy

Yay, you finally finished this!  Now to hunt for the Spooks reference...;)

I'll add a real comment once I've played the game. :P

m0ds

So far so good! I'm enjoying it :) Liked some of the references I've read already! At first I thought, what kind of geek turns a delivery job into an adventure? But this one makes sense! ;) LOL!!

But hey! He keeps eating the pizza he's supposed to be delivering!!!

None the less, enjoying this a lot so far :) Well done to the team. More feedback as & if I get further.

Joyce

Good game, enjoying it so far, there sure is a lot to do.
The Ivy - I did find Spooks though lol.

piperhcombs

Quote from: The Ivy on Wed 12/07/2006 23:18:39
Yay, you finally finished this!  Now to hunt for the Spooks reference...;)

I'll add a real comment once I've played the game. :P

I found Spooks too!

If you wanna/need to know....
Spoiler
talk to the fish in the fish on the first level of the submarine.
[close]
:cheers: + :claps:

Temperance&Booth  Sydney&Vaughn  Nadia&Weiss

Phemar

Hah, what a cool game! Digging the soundtrack, just a bit swamped by the vast amount of inventory items! But I'll figure it out.

Good job!

Mordalles

thanks for the comments and interest.  :D

just fix the "invisible_ladder_in_attic bug".

R4L

Awesome game Mordalles! It reminds me of MM. This game is HUGE too!

AlbinoPanther

Hey guys great job :) the portraits are so nice and the low res characters fit quite well!

And you make a stupid plot into interesting one, now that is art!

You have my respect!

'dule'

Kweepa

Very cool game!
I love the small characters - hope to see more games like this that focus on gameplay. For example, MiniRon, and Everything begins with an M.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Phemar

Just finished the game. Holy crap it has like EVERYTHING: mindless fun, aliens, archaic villages, murder mystery, tomb-raiding! Such an awesome game!

And Scorposer: Excellent work on the music!

jasonjkay

Quote from: Mordalles on Wed 12/07/2006 22:54:07
BUG FIXES: fixed the invisible ladder bug. for those of you who downloaded the game before 16:48, 13 july 2006, just don't interact with the invisible ladder before you talked with a ghost.Ã,  ;)
What bug is this and where is it because I dont know if I've hit that bug or not.
http://www.americangirlscouts.org/agsresources/ - Mods, plugins and templates.

Phemar

Don't worry jason the bug doesnt affect the outcome of the game.

Spoiler
If you've got the cock from the roof and used it in the wall before going to London it may confuse you slightly. But don't worry about the dragon until later.
[close]

Bartimaeus

Just finished, well done on a great game!
;D
~The more adventures I go on, the more sand I get in my shoes

TheJBurger

Congrats on finishing it, it's awesomeÃ,  :=

I totally love the music and the graphics.

I also found the invisible ladder bug, and I found another:

Spoiler
In the room with the sockets in the attic, I noticed a hotspot saying "door" to the left of the sockets even though nothing was there. I didn't put any of the gems in the sockets up to that point. I could interact with the invisible door and it sent me to a room where there was a ticket on the ground and an ocean. All I did there was take the ticket and leave.
[close]

One more thing, is there really a secret ending if you get all the points?

Mordalles

thanks everyone!

thanks for letting me know about the bug, jburger. just fixed it.  8) er, secret lame ending was still there last I checked. why, don't you trust me?  ;D but it so lame, its not even worth finding the points for.  ;)

Rosie

Wow, This game is great.... Really enjoying playing it.... Thanks Mordalles

Sheepisher

Hey Mordalles,

Congrats on a wicked - and somewhat epic! - game.Ã,  I didn't mind the "beyond old school" graphics at all - I actually thought they were quite charming (particularly with Piet's idle animation, tucking into the pizza ;D), and the layout was a novelty - reminded me of the old arcade puzzle adventures.

Pros:

The epic nature of the adventure taking you to different times and locations was hugely enjoyable, made me feel like I had a whole world to explore!Ã,  And, although I'm not usually a huge fan of point-scoring, the "secret" quests, i.e.

Spoiler
trying to find all the hidden, coloured gems
[close]

is a nice touch as it gives the game re-playability and encourages you to dig deeper into the game's world.Ã,  And, as I say, I thought the graphics were rather charming - and actually pretty cool-looking on occasion, for example:

Spoiler
the dragon, and the man-eating plant!
[close]

Cons:

The one down-side to the epic feel of the game was that the house, and the worlds you visited, sometimes became rather labyrinthine, with endless, slightly repetitive rooms / empty corridors stretching out.Ã,  The 'esc' feature was useful, but I often found myself getting stuck - not because I couldn't solve the puzzle, but because the place was so huge, I'd simply forgotten certain places / people existed!Ã,  Some condensing of locations might have helped there.

Spoiler
I found this was particularly true of the desert temple in the final world, especially because it was essentially one long, forwards journey.
[close]

Also, there were one or two pixel hunts in the third world (I did understand the in-game reason for them, but they were still a little vexing) which also suffered from slightly dodgy collision detection:

Spoiler
It took me quite a while to pick up the third gem with the fishing net - I figured the puzzle out quickly enough but couldn't get the cursor to highlight the gem!
[close]

Anyway, those are merely my thoughts on the game, and I should stress that I did enjoy the game immensely and look forward to playing it again sometime soon - this time to try and get a perfect score!
"Like a balloon and ... something bad happens!"

sthomannch

Was kind of pixel hunting, but nonetheless interesting. Just finished it (with less than maximum score). Congratulation.

The Scorposer

I just wanted to congratulate Mordalles with this excellent game! Well done. I'm proud to have been part of the team :)

@ Zor: Thanks! Glad you liked it :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk