AGS 2.72 now released!

Started by Pumaman, Wed 02/08/2006 18:53:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Hey hey, kids! It's time for 2.72 to make its official appearance.

Assuming nobody finds any major issues, I'll upload it to the website in a few days.

Changes since 2.71:
* Added ability to use any size/resolution of icon, if you save your game with Windows 2000/XP.
* Added support for graphic filters, and added a standard 2x and 3x scaler, along with Hq2x and Hq3x filters.
* Added plugin API AGSE_ONSPRITELOAD function to allow plugins to modify sprites as they are loaded into memory.
* Added new plugin API functions IncrementManagedObjectRefCount, DecrementManagedObjectRefCount, SetMousePosition, SimulateMouseClick, GetMovementPathWaypointCount, GetMovementPathLastWaypoint, GetMovementPathWaypointLocation, GetMovementPathWaypointSpeed.
* Added ListBox.ScrollDown, ScrollUp, RowCount, HideBorder and HideScrollArrows. Added "Hide scroll arrows" setting to listboxes in GUI editor.
* Added System.Gamma and SupportsGammaControl; and replaced old system.* variables with new System. properties.
* Added Room.Width, Height, ColorDepth, LeftEdge, RightEdge, BottomEdge, TopEdge and MusicOnLoad properties.
* Added ability to use movement speeds slower than 1 (-2 is now 1/2, -3 is 1/3, etc)
* Added ability to name dialog topics, and ported RunDialog/etc to OO-style functions. Additionally, dialog scripts can now use the topic names with goto-dialog rather than using the number.
* Added GUI Control z-order support (right-click Bring To Front / Send To Back options in editor, as well as BringToFront/SendToBack script commands).
* Added Game.SetSaveGameDirectory command, including support for My Documents folder.
* Added option to export animated background frames, and added a confirmation message to the Delete Frame button.
* Added Game.SpeechFont and Game.NormalFont properties to replace SetSpeechFont/SetNormalFont but also provide a way for you to get the current setting.
* Added Game.Name, Game.FileName, Object.Loop and Object.Frame properties.
* Added Button.Font property, and added Text Alignment property to GUI buttons and list boxes in the editor.
* Added Mouse.GetModeGraphic to allow you to get the sprite slot of the cursor.
* Added String.AsFloat property to convert strings to floats.
* Added Game.StopSound function, to allow you to easily stop all sound effects.
* Added writable ViewFrame.Graphic property, which allows you to change view graphics at run-time.
* Added Region.TintRed, TintGreen, TintBlue, TintEnabled and TintSaturation properties to allow you to get the current region setting.
* Added game.read_dialog_option_color to allow you to set a different colour for dialog options which the player has already selected.
* Added Ctrl+S option to script editor, to save changes so far.
* Increased sound channels from 6 to 8, and you can now have more than 1 simultaneous ambient sound.
* ListBox.AddItem and ListBox.InsertItemAt now return false rather than quitting the game, if you try to add too many items to the list.
* Disabled text boxes now do not draw the cursor.
* Obsoleted GetGameParameter and added new functions and properties to replace it (see GetGameParameter in the help to redirect you to the new functions).
* Obsoleted SetFrameSound and made the ViewFrame.Sound property writable instead.
* Obsoleted savegameindex[] array, and added ListBox.SaveGameSlots[] array instead. Additionally, raised the max save games from 20 to 50.
* Increased permitted length of GUI label text from 200 to 2048 characters.
* PlayMusicQueued now preloads the next track to provide a seamless transition between tracks.
* Added DirectSound Hardware Mixer option to Setup.
* Increased script editor line length limit from 300 to 500 characters.
* Editor now uses "Sound" sub-folder to store sound files, like the way it currently works with Music and Speech.
* Editor view preview window will now play frame-linked sounds if they are in .WAV format.
* Added shortcut keys Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+9 and Module Scripts sub-menus for easy access to module scripts and headers.
* Autocomplete now warns if you use an array index to access properties on a non-array, and vice versa.
* Added option to Assign Sprites To View dialog to allow you to add the sprites in reverse order.
* Editor now shows each character's talking view as well as normal view in the Characters pane.
* Mouse.SetBounds now actually locks the cursor within the bounds, rather than it moving invisibly within the locked out area.
* Added game.keep_screen_during_instant_transition option for 8-bit colour modes.
* Changed the default restart point to be just before the first room is loaded, in order to avoid problems with the restart point not working properly in some games.
* The game can now be closed with the X button or Alt+X while a PlayVideo is playing.
* Moved GUI Clickable setting from the checkbox into the Properties window, since it more intuitively belongs there.
* "Enforce new-style strings" now disables old-style string functions.
* Old split resource files now get deleted if you disable splitting or reduce the number of split files.
* PlayVideo now pauses the video if the player alt+tabs away from the game while it is playing.
* player.ChangeRoom in game_start is now allowed, and will change the room that the game starts in.
* Increased editor performance when importing tiled sprites.
* Debug console now also writes its output to the Windows Debugger (which you can read with an application like DebugView); useful if the debug console normally flies past too quickly to be useful.
* View preview window now cycles through whole of multi-loop animations.
* Fixed crash if you used Restore or Restart within a script module event handler.
* Fixed template creation to work with Music and Speech sub-folders.
* Fixed agsedit.log timestamp having the wrong month.
* Fixed character blinking not working properly once they had finished talking.
* Fixed translation source not including strings from script modules.
* Fixed a backwards compatibility issue with game.num_inv_items.
* Fixed characters with only left/right loops sometimes using the wrong loop when moving.
* Fixed game erroring out if you used Character.ChangeView to change from a 4-directional to a 2-directional view.
* Fixed GUI Labels to be not clickable by default.
* Fixed "Refresh list" option not working in the Room List if no room was selected.
* Fixed calltips not picking up member functions if you put a space before the opening bracket.
* Fixed text parser not handling an optional choice of words properly.
* Fixed text parser not handling a choice of words with spaces properly in Said().
* Fixed Global Messages pane not updating after Importing Dumped Text.
* Fixed FaceLocation not working properly if the character's current loop was not one of the normal walking loops.
* Fixed Mouse.SetPosition clipping the Y to 200, even in 320x240 games.
* Fixed sierra-style speech screwing up if you used RemoveOverlay or SetTextOverlay in repeatedly_execute_always while the speech was displayed.
* Fixed Tiled Sprite Import allowing you to import over the edge of the image when zoomed in.
* Fixed ShakeScreen leaving artefacts in the black borders when running in letterbox mode.
* _blank.crm is now included when you make a template.
* _blank.crm will be checked for in editor folder if not found in game folder.
* Fixed editor crashing if a very large template.txt file was used when starting a game from a template.
* Fixed block comment parsing sometimes not working properly if /* was the last thing on a line.
* Fixed String.Contains not working properly with strings >200 characters.
* Fixed PlayMusic not working if it was called whilst an old track was fading out but crossfading was now disabled
* Fixed "too many events posted" error if several commands like Walk were used in quick succession.

NOTE: If you were using the betas, this is the same build as 2.72 Final 2, just renamed.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/ags_272.zip

MrColossal

"* Added Ctrl+S option to script editor, to save changes so far."

Hooray!

Thanks Ceej!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

monkey0506

"Changes since 2.71:"

Hooray!

Thanks Ceej!

Lol...sorry...but there's a lot of good stuff in there. Yay for the final version! Now get busy on 2.73...sit back, take a break, and relax. :=

InCreator

Quote* Added support for graphic filters, and added a standard 2x and 3x scaler, along with Hq2x and Hq3x filters.

\o/
yay!

simulacra

SSH

You can use this new engine to run older games: so you could use the graphics filters on this even with older games

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Copy the acwin.exe from your AGS editor directory into the game folder
2. Rename the game executable to ac2game.dat
3. right-click and drag the acwin.exe and create a shortcut
4. right-click shortcut, select Properties and in the dialog, add --setup to the end of the Target box (not inside the quotes, if there are any). Hit OK.
5. double-click the shortcut
6. Select the graphics filter that you want from the new setup dialog
7. Save and Run!

You can also use this runtime zip which you unpack into your game dir, run the rename batch file, run setup batch file and then you're away!

RobinMasters

Sorry, I've downloaded it, but in my version, the "import gui" "create a new gui" & "export gui" buttons aren't there  :o
Do they have a new place or it's a bug?

GarageGothic

They're in the drop down menu called "GUI".

Radiant

monkey0506

I agree Radiant. w00t. w00t^2. w00t++. But not w00t#. w00t# is just retarded.

I'm really excited that this has finally been unleashed upon the world and uploaded to the download page.[size=0][color=d8e8f8]*
*Because that means that hopefully within the next couple of weeks we'll see the first 2.73 Beta![/color][/size]
Chris has really done a great job with this version.

Nathan23

No words :o, It's a great Job Thanks again CJ.

cjhrules

Ishmael

For the next version would you mind moving stuff back to nice square buttons from the drop down menus because I still can't "find" them. :(
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Sektor 13

BUG (ags 2.72 RC2):

When main character stops talking in "dialog mode"  (and dialog GUI shows up again - when you can choose new question) character holds last frame of talking view, which means he is standing with his mouth open.

Emm hope this sentance makes any sence :) .

SSH

Just got this trying to paste something into a  newly created sprite folder in AGS 2.72:

Exception 0x0000000
at EIP=0x000000000
AGSEDIT v2.72.652 SIP=26

:(

and I can recreate it, it seems. The image was a subselection of a layer in Paint.NET... when I pasted it into MS Paint and copied it again, it worked fine....

Mr_Threepwood

Alright so I'm somewhat new to AGS and have never made a transition between versions.  If my game is 2.71 uses some obsolete ways of doing things will I be ok when I switch or will I have to go through the game carefully checking that there's no problems?
I am a mighty pirate

SSH

Unless you use GetGameParameter or change view frames, you'll probably be OK

Erenan

But it never hurts to back up your game!
The Bunker

Kaminari

Hi,

I've tried SSH's instructions to update any older AGS game with the new filters, and it works neat.

Problem: is there any way to force an AGS game to run in a 32-bit res mode? It appears most games run in 16-bit or less, which makes hq2x impossible to choose. That's a bit silly, considering hq2x is primarily efficient with games using as few colours as possible.

Pumaman

The reason for that restriction is that the particular implementation of Hq2x that AGS uses only works with 32-bit graphics. I can also write a 16-bit version but it's just something I haven't got around to yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk