BMP, PCX, PNG and Disk Space

Started by Samwise, Thu 10/08/2006 09:13:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Samwise

Hi Everybody,

I'm working on a big game (at least in terms of disk space), which contains a lot of photographed backgrounds and characters.Ã,  All the pictures are in 24-bit BMP format.

I want to keep the pictures in the current quality, but on the other hand I don't want the game to become huge.Ã,  Will converting the files to PCX or PNG harm pictures quality anyhow?Ã,  Which format is better for my (and perhaps everybody) needs?

I've understood that the new version of AGS contains better archive abilities.Ã,  How much this is relevant to this issue?

SSH

PCX and PNG are "lossless" compression, so feel free to use them without any loss of detail. PNG will usually be much smaller than PCX, so go with that.

Gilbert

Furthermore, the formats you saved your original files in are not very relevant to the resultant game size, no matter what format the original images were, they're treated the same way (well, loosely speaking, as alpha chanels in PNG files can be used when your game is in 32-bit) and re-compressed using the internal schemes in AGS.
Saving your working files in PCX and PNGs does help saving your HDD space while creating a game though.

Samwise

I'm not sure I understand.  You're basically saying that converting all the files from BMP to PNG won't reduce the final game size?

I don't have interst in saving HDD space while creating the game, as I have a rather large HDD.

Gilbert

No, it won't.

Saving them as compressed formats just help you manage your HDD stuff better.

SSH

If you're worried about download size, AGS game files compress very well, though. For example, the game file for Shivah compresses 77% in plain old zip, and Duty and Beyond compresses 89%!

RAR and 7zip get even smaller (7zip manages 83% and 93% on the above game files)

Samwise

Thanks a lot for the information, fellows.  I'll just keep the files in BMP format.

(BTW, Shivah is a really nice game).

Samwise

Speaking of a similar subject, what audio format is best for AGS (in quality/size calculation)?Ã,   The game will include a lot of music & speech.Ã,   Is OGG better than MP3 for that matter?

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

Well, since OGG needs a special codec, so I do recommend MP3 so everyone can enjoy your game without having to download any codecs at all.

Hope this helps,
~Yurina
Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

DoorKnobHandle

However you won't be able to sell your game commercially if you use .mp3, plus I think that .ogg compresses a tiny bit better. But I am not completly sure. But really, start worrying about other things, whether you use .mp3 or .ogg won't change anything at all - you should use the format that is the easiest for your composer to export to and it's fine.

GarageGothic

Quote from: Yurina-chan on Sun 20/08/2006 15:07:44Well, since OGG needs a special codec, so I do recommend MP3 so everyone can enjoy your game without having to download any codecs at all.

Does it? I'm quite sure that the ogg decoder is built into AGS. Mp3 on the other hand gets to be a problem if you ever consider selling your game, so my recommendation would be the exactly opposite of Yurina's: Ogg for the win!

strazer

I agree. Ogg Vorbis files are decoded by AGS itself, there's no need to install additional codecs.

Gilbert

The AGS engine doesn't need codec to play OGG audio, it just needs codec if you want to play an AVI movie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk