Nobody's hero

Started by , Mon 14/08/2006 16:11:13

Previous topic - Next topic

singring

Hi everybody!

I'm new to the board, so i hope this post works out okay and complies to the rules...

The game I'm working on - my first - is in 320*240 resolution and inspired by the great lucasarts classics and Simon the Sorceror I & II. The working title is 'Nobody's Hero'.

The story so far:

Olias Greenshield, adventurer and hero par excellance, is currently resting on his laurels of past glory a bit, more or less lounging around the castle in Magus, where he is soon to wed Kassandra, the daughter of the king. However, the king is dabbling in black magic and soon decides to wed his daughter to a powerful demon in order to win his support and rule the world. He promtly has Olias taken away to be executed by his henchmen, but as always, they bungle things up and Olias can escape, ultimately arriving in the faraway village of Amberlyn...and thus begins his quest to return to Magus and thwart the king's plan!

The inventory and interface are based on a simplified lucasarts principle. The game will feature around 40 screens, all hand-painted in watercolour. There will be about 40 characters to interact with ( I hope ;-) ) and 100+ inventory items with puzzles along the lines of Simon and Monkey Island....

Here are some links to screenshots of the rooms finished so far...

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/1142/robbertz0.jpg
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/5065/tiresiaspm1.jpg

Since I am doing all and everything on the game ( including music ) it will take at least another year to finish, but I thought I'd just let people out there know that there is a classic fantasy AGS game on its way...if slow in the coming :-).

Thanks for your visit and keep your fingers crossed I can finish the game!

P.S.: Almost forgot the progress report:

Rooms: 15%
    Characters: 20%
    Music: 5%
    Intro:0%
    Puzzles/story: 100%

nihilyst

Look's beautiful. I hope you find the time to finish it. I'd like to see it in action.

cheers
nihilyst

thewalrus

Nihilyst, backgrounds look lovely. I hope you have the time and resources to finish your first attempt at completing an AGS game...... I wish you the best of luck......

Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!!!!

Ooops, sorry, gave credit to wrong person...... Good job singring!!!
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Darth Mandarb

Firstly ... welcome to the AGS boards!

Second ... your n00b stock went WAY up for actually reading and following the rules!

Third ... I updated your post just a bit to include 2 of the images rather than just links

Fourth ... game looks interesting.  Not an overly original concept, but it works.  I like the watercolor backgrounds.  If you're able I might suggest saving the images as PNG (or even GIF is the color loss isn't too bad) because the jpgs appear to be a bit on the lossy side.

Fifth ... no more numbers!  Good luck with the project!

Buckethead

What an awsome graphics  :o I hope you finisch it soon (but don't rush). Even if this game appears to be no fun I'll play it to the end just to have played it to the end.  ;) :P

Peder 🚀

WOW :o

Incredible!!!

I Love your style!!

Please finish this!!

I wants to play this ;D

Hammerite

JESUS CHRIST!
For a first game, this looks good!
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

sergiocornaga

How am I going to manage 100+ inventory items?
Good looking game, I hope it gets finished.

biothlebop

This looks great. What size are the hand-painted watercolor originals?
Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

singring

Thanks for all the positive remarks and to Darth Mandarb for making my post look the way I originally wanted to but lacked the HTML/basic internet comprehension to pull  off. Which reminds me - I should mention that I have literally zero programming experience and don't really understand anything about scripting...although I'm learning the essentials very slowly :-). As you can imagine, this makes creating a game with AGS more difficult, but thanks to the fool-proof windows interface and a brilliant help file Chris Jones  made for dummies (or n00bs, as they are apparently called ;-) ) like me, it is possible!

Anyway, to answer some questions:

- Yes, the jpg's I uploaded are rather fuzzy and I'll try uploading better images
     soon.

- The original background paintings are actually really small...about 15 by 10 cm!
     I usually do all my art on a very small scale, and since the classic adventure
     look only calls for 320*240 pixels, you don't need that much detail in the
     painting and if you do, you can add it later digitally - although I try to make the
     background painting as good as it can be.

I'm trying to fill the game with some easter eggs and lots of references to fantasy movies and especially music, so if you have any suggestions when it comes to 'in jokes', I'd love to hear them!

Hope I can show some more screens by next month.

charliechuck

The screens look excellent, especially as it's 320x240. Has the name got anything to do with the Stiff Little Fingers song? I've been humming it all day now!

MashPotato

Wow, those are lovely backgrounds... everything is so lush and colourful ^_^.  Good luck to you!

n3tgraph

The first screen reminds me of Teen Agent somehow at the mansion :)

Which is always good!

Keep it up!
* N3TGraph airguitars!

The Ivy

Wow, my jaw dropped when I saw the background for Tinselwood (sp?).  Kudos and good luck with this project, but don't be in any hurry to release it.  It would definitely be worth waiting a year for this. :)

Petra

Can't believe this is your first game, the graphics look amazing :D

Hope you finish it and wish you good luck with that!!

calacver

Yes, amazing backgrounds, almost looks unbelievable that you did them looking at the sprites.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk