Who ever made Roger?

Started by Buckethead, Tue 22/08/2006 19:28:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckethead

I was wondering who made this mysterious guy often called Roger a.k.a EGO. I'm also wondering if this person is meant a kid or an adult.

Anyway, who made made this Roger character? I'm really curious because... well to be honest... The person who made Roger did a pretty poor job:

- his head is too small for his body.

- His skin has a very weird color for , I assume, a white person.

- His shape is all strange like he had some awfull accident.

- His hair has no shading and no logic hair line.

- Evil black eyes and mount.

- And what's with this baseball outfit?

Ok please don't ban me now. No offence, but I was just wondering who made Roger and why he's such a geek with all those talented people around.  :P

Mr Flibble

Ohhhhh boy....

*puts on asbestos hat and hides*
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Phemar

Tuomas

I like him, I think he's cuddly. Though I like to watch dogs having sex with kittens too...

jetxl

Nine Toes

Quote from: Buckethead on Tue 22/08/2006 19:28:02
- his head is too small for his body.

- His skin has a very weird color for , I assume, a white person.

- His shape is all strange like he had some awfull accident.

- His hair has no shading and no logic hair line.

- Evil black eyes and mount.

- And what's with this baseball outfit?

Don't forget his walkcycle.  You know... the way he juts his pelvis outward, like he's humping the air or something.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Afflict

Hey leace roger out of this.

Firstly he does hes job well.
Secondly no one ever took the time to make anything so beter.

The fact is that roger is a default sprite in the demo game showing you
what can be done etc.

Some one will probably make a nice demo game sometime :)

Steel Drummer

Roger is from the Space Quest games, you buckethead.
I'm composing the music for this game:

Domino

Maybe we could switch Roger to Chuck Norris. That would be kick-ass awesome.

Well, if we did that, then every game would probably have CN as the main character.

:)

Nine Toes

When Chuck Norris falls into the water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet... the water gets Chuck Norris.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

BOYD1981

what if here were more buff? like this perhaps:

BUFF ROGERS!

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteSecondly no one ever took the time to make anything so beter.

ok.

still easy to work with and using few colors.

Toefur

And it'd be pretty groovy to have him dancing like that everywhere he went.  :=

BOYD1981

the problem with that sprite is that it isn't roger, roger is as much a part of AGS as CJ is and plays an important part in coaxing people into using AGS. i mean, if you opened up AGS and it was filled with expertly drawn sprites and a flashy interface you'd feel kinda put off if you weren't too good at art, but instead of that you get a bland interface and the rather pathetic and hopeless looking roger, and that's why i love AGS and think roger is perfect the way he is.

01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

DoorKnobHandle

I love the new version by ProgZMax. I think we should go with the time, although it might hurt a bit for people that have been knowing AGS for a few years.

I DON'T think that the new version will make newbies turn away from AGS because it looks better and discourages beginners. I also think Prog's sprites (with walking animations) could work great as a template (way better than the old roger did), which would help lots of art-newbies.

And it STILL is Roger.

Anyways, I support the new sprite completly, we'd just need to update the two default inv-items as well (and possibly some GUI images)...

Gilbert

Prog's roger is no match for CJ's talent.

If you don't like it you can always start with a blank game anyway.

Case closed.

Ubel

I completely disagree with dkh and Buckethead! No new sprite could EVER replace Roger. AGS just wouldn't be the same anymore. :(

Haddas

No new Roger! No new Roger!

If you use the default character then don't complain.

Kweepa

Please finish that Roger, ProgZmax. At least it would make a better template than eric's walkcycle. I would love to see it in the default game. If he had less frames of animation in the walk cycle it might actually be less daunting to someone thinking about animating a new main character.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Dan_N

I don't know if this will be funny or relevant or none of the above, but what the heck, a test of my writing skills:

Roger- The history behind the icon... err... sprite
Chapter 1: Creation
Mr. Chris Jones, the one and only, was sitting one, after finishing his newest version of AGS, what to do to enhance it. He thought about voice recognition, or maybe how to make it sentient, but no, that wasn't going to do it. "Bollocks to it!" he said, being British. So, he went to watch TV. After sulking a bit, he fell asleep on the couch. He then had a dream, a vision, from the past. He was at school, sketching something quite horrid while the match teacher was trying to teach a lesson in geometry. He saw that figure, that figure that would become... ROGER! Then, Mr. Jones woke up! And then he ran to his desk to try and duplicate the sketch. Indeed, he had replicated it ex... no... not exactly, it looked kinda worse. So he then thought that because the dream featured a geometry lesson, he'd add some lines, and squares, and rectangles, and triangles, and circles, and... well, lookie at that. It looked worse so "Bollocks to it again, I'll just strap him in and they should be thankfull that I made them this great and easy-to-use tool to make their own games. But I think I'll make it free to compensate for this horrid thing." he then said. And he went to sleep again. The next morning Mr. Jones that about naming the fellow. He first named him EGO, because he would be the default for the main character that would represent the player in virtual space. But that didn't quite suffice, so he thought: "Ok, I'll flip it! Oge. Hmm... Oge, Oge, Oge, Loge... No, Logel... No... Roger! AHA! EUREKA! I've got IT!". And the rest is history. Roger's history.

Note: If this offended anyone, I shall gladly ask the moderator to tare it down or I'll modify it to just "???".

And if anyone wants the continuing Chapter 2: Childhood, I'll be happy to oblige, just tell me.

Buckethead

First of all I would like to say sorry for getting up some old discussion again. Second, if nobody feels like making a new Roger (which I fairly doubt) I could give it a try. I can understand that there some people like Roger and don't want to see him leave BUT! What about an Default SE? With the same settings only with a new and improved Roger. Old Roger lovers could ofcourse just pick the normal Default.

3rd, If i understand correctly CJ (a.ka Chirs jones almighty) made Roger, ok that's all I wanted to know. THNX ^^

R4L

I don't know a Chirs Jones, any references?

j/k I like the current Roger, but I think Prog's Roger would be cool to use as say an extra character? Say someone can draw backgrounds, but not characters too well. Having a newer looking Roger would fit nicely there. Or maybe just having an extra template to use would be good, especially for people modding the current Roger to use in their games. All I am saying is that it wouldn't hurt.

MrColossal

Yea, now let's update that blue cup... We gotta keep up with the times!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

sedriss

Here. I made a new and improved bluecup.

By the time you read this you've already read it.

big brother

While we're at it, we should give Roger a l3n5f14r3, too.

Imagine how sweet the walkcycles would be.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Dan_N

Hey, don't touch that cup!

I've searched to long and hard to find a big blue cup to buy and keep near me for inspiration! (and the occasional emptying of a 2,5l cola bottle)
Do you know how hard it is to find a big blue cup in Romania? It's like we're a freakin' 3rd world country!

Anyway, I'm not going to search for a new cup now!

Anyway, I think Roger's funny the way he is, and the only thing that should be changed is his view. I mean, make it more human-like and acceptible, for those who cannot draw too well to fill in Roger with different colors and make minor changes easily. Can you imagine Trilby walking like the existing Roger?

(my 2 grammes of spice for now)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

For Steve and others:

I didn't feel like doing diagonal walk cycles and most people don't use them anyway.  Feel free to paintover these as needed, though I recommend people use these as a reference rather than do a paintover.  You learn more that way.  These are 6 frame animations except for the icons.  I don't know how many Colossal's template uses.

Edit:  Forgot to put in Roger's insignia in the left walk cycle.  Added a bonus anim because I like doing heroic type corny poses.

Kweepa

Awesome, thanks ProgZmax!
Now we just need to persuade CJ to put those in the default template.
(Couldn't bring yourself to paint the poster pink, eh?)

Gilbert

No, it can't be in the default template, another template maybe. ;)

EagerMind

Well, I realize I'm new here, but here's a vote for ProgZmax's version of the sprite. The only potential downside I see is that maybe everyone will start using the default!  :)

But I do agree about the cup - no touch! I've got a big black cup (close enough, I suppose) sitting by my side even as I type.

Ubel

I think it's a wonderful sprite and it's a great reference for people who want to practice animating. But still what EagerMind says is quite true. Some people are already using Roger in their games as the player character, which is bad enough.

With these sprites in the default game, and if you also replace the GUI graphics, we would rarely see new sprites again since new people want to use the default template for everything.

I repeat myself, no Roger replacing! :)

Dan_N

Here, here!

I continue the motion for new Roger, at least for Roger's brother, or something...

And I support ProgZmax's character.

Here's to you!(drink out of 2,5l cola bottle)

Kudos!

SSH

Now, who's going to redo the default template iconbar and cursors?

Buckethead

Quote from: SSH on Thu 24/08/2006 06:21:33
Now, who's going to redo the default template iconbar and cursors?

There isn't much wrong with those imo besides, everyone with a bit of talent should be good enough to make their own cursors.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

How about some weird alien type icons?

Ali

I would strongly support the inclusion of a ProgZMax's Roger Mark II in the default template. A more polished default graphic would be more inspiring. I don't think it would lead to more people depending upon Roger II as a player character, I think it would encourage people by showing them what can be achieved.

I don't think that should be seen as disrespectful towards Mr Jones's Roger, but I do feel the original distinctly lags behind the quality of the AGS software.

Chicky

Getting rid of roger is a bad idea. The poor default sprites encourage people to make their own, no matter how good or bad they are. With progz's one in there we'll end up with a load of clones with the same character.

Change is bad. I've still not learn the new scripting style.

SSH

AGS could come with Empty, Default (new) and Classic templates...

Layabout

No it shouldn't be included. There is no reason ANYONE should ever use the default template unless they are making a test demo for themselves to learn how to use ags. NO other reason.

If Roger looks okay, more people will use it in their own games. As a graphical template it is fine, but it should not be included.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Buckethead

Can I use ProgZmax' char anyway?

Tuomas

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 24/08/2006 01:28:59
Feel free to paintover these as needed, though I recommend people use these as a reference rather than do a paintover.Ã,  You learn more that way.

veryweirdguy

Quote from: Buckethead on Thu 24/08/2006 14:33:55
Can I use ProgZmax' char anyway?

That's pretty much proving Layabout (and everyone else who I'm too lazy to scroll up for)'s point - with a GOOD sprite as the default, people will want to use it. And we will (in theory) see less original sprites.

So with Proggie's permission (which I assume you have, seeing as he made it public himself & wanted it in AGS) then you could use it - but then you lose points for originality. Y'see?

R4L

Actually I change my mind, no new Roger!!!

Chicky

Everyone knows change is bad. I mean, look at todays computer games compared to those of 1990-96?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Change is good; so is sex, or at least I remember it being so once upon a time. 

Does it matter whether people overuse a new template when the old roger template has been used to death already?  This argument costs you logic points!

monkey0506

Code: ags
if (Change == Anarchy) NoNewRoger();
else ScrewYourself();

XD Okay...I didn't really read too much...I saw something about change being good and bad...and...changing roger...sooooo....Anyway...I fantastically excited AND frightened at the same time! Has anyone else ever felt that? It's like...the biggest adrenaline rush...ever. ;D

SinSin

I dont think there can ever be a new roger here i believe we have 2 options

Put Roger into retirement ( No i here you all cry )

Leave roger alone as he is but give the user 2 more views to work with
But entice the user to find out how to change the views ( enhancing the users understanding)

Long live roger
Currently working on a project!

jfritzyb

I was thinking one day--and suddenly, it hit me...

ROGER is a  human being that got Prince of Persia's head ported to himself so that he could look cool!

(I think CJ must like Prince of Persia!)

:)

--JJ

EagerMind

Quote from: Chicky on Thu 24/08/2006 13:01:42Change is bad.

Here, here! After all, look what change just did to our solar system!

Anyway, shifting into serious mode, ... I do think using the new sprite is the way to go. As ProgZmax pointed out, people are already using the default. People are going to use it no matter what, so might as well provide something nice. At least that will give people playing the games something nicer to look at.  :)

But more importantly, if the demo is supposed to be a useful resource for people who are serious about learning how to design a game, I think it's in everyone's best interest to have as professional a demo as possible. I myself am currently trying to improve my sprite skills, and I can learn a lot more by studying ProgZmax's new sprite than the current one.

BOYD1981

i can actually see a few games being made about this subject, like the new roger confronting the old one, and the old one winning or something like that...  :)

Ali

Quote from: EagerMind on Fri 25/08/2006 05:56:11
I myself am currently trying to improve my sprite skills, and I can learn a lot more by studying ProgZmax's new sprite than the current one.

I think this is an interesting point. Why shouldn't new AGS users learn about effective walkcycles at the same time as they get to grips with scripting? ProgXMax's sprite set would provide them with an good introduction to adventure game animation.

I don't think the old Roger needs to be scrapped altogether, but I do think Roger Mark II would do well as part of the basic AGS package.

Tuomas

ProgZ, get the copyrights to that sprite, and then people could use it to learn stuff, along side with old roger whom they could use in their demo games if they wanted to.

biothlebop

Quote from: BOYD1981 on Fri 25/08/2006 09:55:30
i can actually see a few games being made about this subject, like the new roger confronting the old one, and the old one winning or something like that...Ã,  :)

How about a Jekyll & Hyde type of plot?

I think Roger (especially the older one) has achieved a kind of mythical status (at least among game creators) and it would be a shame if he would remain a template.
Edit: Remembered demo game, although I cannot remember if it had much of a plot.
Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

Helm

QuoteYes, I'd agree. This kind of comes back to the whole issue of the demo game again - I think there was a team who were going to take on the demo game, lead by Joseph DiPerla, but I'm not sure what happened to that.

hahaha

Anyway, about new or old roger, I think if you're going to have a template game like demo quest that is editable and the graphics can be re-used by the users, then you might as well have very good graphics.

What I am certain of, is that the classic sierra rendered gray GUI REALLY has to go.
WINTERKILL

Ali

Helm is right. I don't think there is any way in which the old Roger encourages better game making.

I don't imagine many AGSers were inspired to make adventures by playing poor games. Most people seem to have been inspired by very good adventure games.

SSH

Demo Quest 3 thread is at http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=23083.0 but it doesn't seem to have been updated since about a year ago...

It probably doesn't work under 2.71 or 2.72 now...

R4L

it doesn't work for me...period.

Nacho

I say "No for new Roger!"

ProgZmax' sprites are ok, they are really cool. But I can hardly see differences in all the sprites he makes. That's good! He has his own style! But I would just have too much of "ProgZmaxity" if every newbie starts a game with his sprite with just slight alterations. It would look ridiculous with crappy backgrounds and a pitty to see a simple paintover if the BGs are better than average.

EDIT: Actually, Lore and me had an idea... 95% of AGSers are males, ergo, 85% of the games will have a man as a playable character.

Why don't we make a "Rogeria" in ProgZmax's style?

Pros:

- Less percentage of newbies using the new Roger (The male members would use a man as a mainchar) and, therefore, less newbies not attempting to make one in their own.
- Roger would still be there.
- Girls would come to AGS!!! Weeeeh! Less male chavinism (if there is...) In AGS, teh program.
- More percentaje of games with a girl as main character (The ones finally deciding to paint over ProgZmax')
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

monkey0506

You know...this is actually an interesting topic in that, when I was first looking to starting this project that I've been working on forever (two years ago), I came across AGS a couple of times and people told me that I should use it because it was good for what I wanted.

When I first saw Roger and the Sierra GUI...I ran away. Hahah...but I probably run away too much anyway. I came back when I saw some game that someone had made with an LEC interface. Then left again (for a little bit) when I couldn't control what happened when the user pressed Alt+X. Lol...but AGS is definitely the best. I don't think it would be a bad idea to show the user that AGS can handle higher res graphics than the default Roger...but replacing Roger. That's insanity.

In fact...I actually think it would be quite wonderful to implement some of the 3D modules/plugins into the demo game just so that new comers will know "IT CAN BE DONE!", but with a note that it is for advanced use only (like any 3D game creation).

Ishmael

Put the new roger where you please, but save the default template with it's roger. I wouldn't mind the GUI graphics changing, but ROGER MUST STAY.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Kweepa

Reasons to keep Roger mk 1
* nostalgia - but you can keep him around as a template
* incentive to change main character - but unless you're making very bad game, a joke game or a Space Quest game, you'll have to change the main character anyway

Reasons to change to Roger mk 2
* less animation frames
    - smaller download
    - less daunting for a new user to make a new character ("I have to draw ALL THOSE FRAMES?")
* better looking first steps
    - will keep people interested when they download AGS
* convenient reference
    - perhaps we won't see any more of eric's front walkcycle :=

DEATH TO ROGER!

MrColossal

"will keep people interested when they download AGS"

if roger stops them making a game they weren't cut out to make an AGS game.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Helm

Quote from: MrColossal on Fri 25/08/2006 19:54:08
"will keep people interested when they download AGS"

if roger stops them making a game they weren't cut out to make an AGS game.

I agree, in theory. But that's kind of a slippery slope though, because a new user sees roger, the gui, the sample graphics, it all adds up perhaps to a not so good first impression. A good first impression won't make your game for you, but perhaps you might see ags now and have a bad impression and not touch it for months or years before you return to it and realise how awesome it was all along.
WINTERKILL

MrColossal

So then I would suggest replacing roger with a non descript template character that one can easily paint over and not Roger Wilco from Space Quest.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

But Roger IS nondescript!  Also, Helm is right.

Kweepa

I made a template:
http://www.steporg.com/step/ags/tech/ProgZmaxRogerTemplate.zip (18k)
Just unzip it into your AGS root directory.

PureGhostGR

Hmm.. maybe there should be a forum poll about this?

And if the option for a new character replacement gets voted, then perhaps a big forum contest for the new graphics?

That would be fun!

Afflict

That might be a good idea Pure Ghost.

I think Helm has a very valid point, ppl think like that. "Crappy graphics the engine must suck"

I like ProgZ's paint over looking awesome. :) Cool Idle animation. (all animation cool) Just like the idle more ;)

Ali

Steve's pros and cons make a lot of sense. It's also worth remembering that nostalgia means nothing to someone who's new to AGS, and that the introdution of Roger Mark II wouldn't necessarily mean the death of Mark I for those who feel nostalgic towards the little fella.

Ishmael

The first impression shouldn't be of the stuff in AGS, it should be of the games that have been made with it. What other purpose would the game showcase serve anyway?
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Ali

I disagree, I knew I wanted to make amateur adventure before I realised I wanted to play amateur adventures. I'd been using AGS for around year before I really sat down to play an AGS game. I don't think you can rely on people coming to the software having played the best examples of what it can produce.

Mr Flibble

I think getting rid of crappy Roger and simple cup would be like changing your country's flag.

The Cup and the Roger are like AGS's mascots, I think it would be wrong to sell them out in favour of Prog's (excellent, by the way) new versions.

Although I think the Default, Empty and Classic thing could work, but then what about all the newbs who may not even see Old Rog and Old Cup? They'd be missing out on heritage.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Mr. Flibble- please tell me you aren't serious.  These are sprites, not cultural icons!

Also, I went ahead and made a rough draft new gui, rather smaller than the default (242x20 instead of 320x27) but has all of the icons of the original supported, including the current item display.  Bear in mind that my goal here is not to create a generic template that everyone will use over and over, hence the alien motif.  Hopefully new users can look at it, say this is neat, and then decide to make their own since obviously not everyone is going to have a sci-fi themed game or want to have alien type icons.  That's the entire reason behind the design choice here--to dissuade people from milking the design but at the same time to give them a bit of eye candy and show them what's possible.  I haven't gotten around to the inventory screen yet but rest assured I will.  Also, I'll make pressed versions of the gui buttons, a design for the dialogs (borders and such), and anything else I can think of or is requested that would contribute to an improved template.  Stop the negativity and start the creativity! ^_^

And the icons to go with it:

talk:

walk:

look:

interact/use inventory:

pickup:

mouse pointer:

wait:

SSH

On a related theme, I wish the empty template still have the normal names for the cursor modes, as some cursor modes HAVE to be particular numbers, plus making generic modules that do anything with the mouse mode are nearly impossible without standardized names...

DoorKnobHandle

Once again, I strongly support ProgZMax's idea and the argument list by Steve McCrea. I think the idea of having the old Roger in a classic-template is great as well.

Considering SSH's suggestion, I'd personally love to be able to decide how the source code looks like (in the global script and header file) for all my new projects. I just hate the way the global script file is formatted initially. Maybe create a text-file in the editor directory with the content for both script files?

SSH

Why don't you just make your own template, dkh?

DoorKnobHandle

Ehm, because I... because I'm with stupid. Yes, that's it. Thanks for giving me this great idea. :)

PsychicHeart

Pimp my Sprite was put on hiatus shortly after Season 3, and a European-style show, Pimp My Sprite UK aired the following month.
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Current version.  Still missing the inventory screen and save/load/quit guis.  Iconbar buttons press when moved over.

FSi++

ProgZmax, you should make a game about two Rogers fighting to death.
Or maybe I should make such a game...

SSH

EagerMind

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sat 26/08/2006 13:53:52I went ahead and made a rough draft new gui ... .... Stop the negativity and start the creativity! ^_^

Does this signify a relaunching of the demo quest project?

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but is the source available somewhere? I guess a working version isn't around anymore. I might be willing to help out a bit, if I could see what I was getting myself into.

big brother

I'm not sure I see the connection between the alien GUI and the human Roger.

If the goal is to attract more users, we'd be better off using ripped graphics from a popular game like KQ for the defaults. This would reinforce nostalgia and provide a graphical interface that is immediately recognizable to fans of the genre.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Ali

I'n not sure I agree, perhaps because I haven't played a KQ game, but not just for that reason.

The advantage of a human Roger is that he can be used as a generic walkcycle template. The great advantage of ProgZmax's alien GUI is that it looks nice, but it's so highly stylised that people are unlikely to want to use it.

While the current defaults encourage people to create their own graphics. ProgZ's work would demonstrate AGS's potential, help people create their own player character and encourage people to produce unique graphics.

R4L

There are people who will use these templates and put no time into work of their own. I think its a good idea to use a template like Prog's, but if a person is going to base a game just because of a template, thats kind of pathetic.

So I change my mind again, I think its a good contribution, but like I said, you won't be seeing this template in any game you would want to download (would you?), unless produced by Prog himself.

Besides, if anyone who was actually serious about making a game, would want their own style, and would work to achieve it.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Yowza, this has been one heck of an argument. Now it's calmed down, here's my two cents: the default template is the default template. It has been updated before - remember the old default inventory GUI, and the new one (well, the one that comes with the template)? It all comes down to whether it warrants an update.

What do I think? A template is supposed to be a *base* upon which to build. Animations and graphics should be, and for the most part ARE, placeholders, merely practical. Not artistical. There are artistic templates, like the Simon the Sorcerer one. Should the default template be an artistic one?

At any rate, Prog's made some wonderful graphics. Why waste them? Distribute AGS with the Blank template, the Default template, and the Revised Default, or something. Or better yet, put the Revised Default online, like all the other templates are. That's just what it is - an user-created template that makes things easier for those that want to use it, but is nevertheless dispensible.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Tuomas

I think I agree with Sir Pires. And I don't see why it wouldn't be possible just show pictures of AGS games as a intro or as an introduction thingie that comes with the package. It's not like AGS makes you a good artist or anything, you still have to draw them yourself, but a little fooling and eyecandy could make people think otherwise.

Quote from: SSH on Mon 28/08/2006 20:59:42
Or maybe I already did

You can't win in this silly thing >:(

Nacho

So... Two final questions (which should be answered by Chris):

1) Are we going to change Roger?
2) If "Yes", are we going to use ProgZmax' sprite, or will we do a contest?

Because I'd like to give a try... ^_^
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

R4L

You can't win in this silly thing >:(

Aww, then your gaming skills are sorely lacking. :D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteThe great advantage of ProgZmax's alien GUI is that it looks nice, but it's so highly stylised that people are unlikely to want to use it.

While the current defaults encourage people to create their own graphics. ProgZ's work would demonstrate AGS's potential, help people create their own player character and encourage people to produce unique graphics.

Precisely.  The goal here is to make something visually appealing that people aren't going to want to use over and over for obvious reasons.  Roger Wilco is a space janitor so a sci-fi alien gui is ideal for him, while the alien icons will throw people off from abusing the gui for generic humanoids.  I'm not saying people still won't do it, but more people than now will certainly pursue their own gui designs with a specific, non-universal gui.  Also, all I need to do now is make save/load guis and this will be complete.  I could even make a demo game with it (or someone else, I don't care) to illustrate the various ags features.

Helm

QuoteSo then I would suggest replacing roger with a non descript template character that one can easily paint over and not Roger Wilco from Space Quest.

dunno how I missed this post, but I think it's what should be done as well. A character that is few colors, good keyanimation, not too many frames, and which is absolutely nondescipt so it just psychologically forces the designer to go in and edit his base frames.

If nobody else is willing to do this, I can.

Nondescriptor in Plain Quest

Ideally, the character should be naked.
WINTERKILL

FSi++

So, pr0n in default template?
Maybe use that awful hide deapers from TES?  ::)

Helm

a nude guy is porn? I guess I should put some clothes on!
WINTERKILL

Erenan

Well, although a nude guy might encourage the user to design his own player character sprite, don't you think some people will see a nude guy and start thinking about deleting AGS from their hard drive?
The Bunker

MrColossal

if a default character without clothes stops them making a game, they weren't cut out to make an AGS game.

http://kafkaskoffee.com/images/games/tutorials/template/templatesideviewanim.gif
this is a nude character.

monkey0506

zomg! pr0n! MY VIRGIN EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway...I'm an avid supporter of the 1 color default character. No outlines or anything...just...one solid color. That would create true inspiration to make your own character.

Erenan

Quote from: MrColossal on Fri 01/09/2006 22:13:16
if a default character without clothes stops them making a game, they weren't cut out to make an AGS game.

http://kafkaskoffee.com/images/games/tutorials/template/templatesideviewanim.gif
this is a nude character.
Okay, sure. I'd figured he meant nude including genitalia.
The Bunker

Layabout

That is because sir, you are a pervert!
I am Jean-Pierre.

m0ds

Changing Roger? :(

A more sparkly blue cup? :(

Yes, I hate change.

I like Progz' versions, fo sure. But they should never be the defaults, IMO.

Gilbert

* Gilbot V7000a teams up with m0ds.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

*leaps on Helm's shoulders and is now 12 foot-something

Now who's the tallest!?

Also:  Template is nearly done, I'm just going back through checking everything.  I'll probably make a little demo with it or something.

Edit:  Here is the current version of the template.  Everything is in place but I haven't really done much with the tutorial bit.  Try talking to the cup to see.  Also, the save and load guis have been merged into one gui with save/load buttons.  If any of the buttons like the inventory arrows and such are extremely difficult to interpret as what they are let me know.

http://members.cox.net/progzmax/Alien_Roger.rar

deadsuperhero

Really great template! It's definately unique.
I'd like to use that Roger sprite for my SQ3 game, it looks much more stylish than the garbage I made.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

eddie hitler

bring on chapter 2, baby ;D

TerranRich

Man, when AGS goes 3D (and it WILL, oh yes it WILL), I can just imagine what 3D Roger will look like.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Nothing stopping you from modelling a 3D Roger, is there? For use with the AGS3D plugin/module, or with the 3D Characters Plugin? :=
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

TerranRich

In the spirit of tradition, I'd have CJ make 3D Roger ;)

monkey0506

Hmmmm....Duke-Nukem-3D-style hi-res grafiks by CJ!!! Excellent idea Terran!

Though in the spirit of making AGS better...I'd rather see AGS 2.73 BETA 1 than Roger v3.D :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk