Who ever made Roger?

Started by Buckethead, Tue 22/08/2006 19:28:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuomas

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 24/08/2006 01:28:59
Feel free to paintover these as needed, though I recommend people use these as a reference rather than do a paintover.Ã,  You learn more that way.

veryweirdguy

Quote from: Buckethead on Thu 24/08/2006 14:33:55
Can I use ProgZmax' char anyway?

That's pretty much proving Layabout (and everyone else who I'm too lazy to scroll up for)'s point - with a GOOD sprite as the default, people will want to use it. And we will (in theory) see less original sprites.

So with Proggie's permission (which I assume you have, seeing as he made it public himself & wanted it in AGS) then you could use it - but then you lose points for originality. Y'see?

R4L

Actually I change my mind, no new Roger!!!

Chicky

Everyone knows change is bad. I mean, look at todays computer games compared to those of 1990-96?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Change is good; so is sex, or at least I remember it being so once upon a time. 

Does it matter whether people overuse a new template when the old roger template has been used to death already?  This argument costs you logic points!

monkey0506

Code: ags
if (Change == Anarchy) NoNewRoger();
else ScrewYourself();

XD Okay...I didn't really read too much...I saw something about change being good and bad...and...changing roger...sooooo....Anyway...I fantastically excited AND frightened at the same time! Has anyone else ever felt that? It's like...the biggest adrenaline rush...ever. ;D

SinSin

I dont think there can ever be a new roger here i believe we have 2 options

Put Roger into retirement ( No i here you all cry )

Leave roger alone as he is but give the user 2 more views to work with
But entice the user to find out how to change the views ( enhancing the users understanding)

Long live roger
Currently working on a project!

jfritzyb

I was thinking one day--and suddenly, it hit me...

ROGER is a  human being that got Prince of Persia's head ported to himself so that he could look cool!

(I think CJ must like Prince of Persia!)

:)

--JJ

EagerMind

Quote from: Chicky on Thu 24/08/2006 13:01:42Change is bad.

Here, here! After all, look what change just did to our solar system!

Anyway, shifting into serious mode, ... I do think using the new sprite is the way to go. As ProgZmax pointed out, people are already using the default. People are going to use it no matter what, so might as well provide something nice. At least that will give people playing the games something nicer to look at.  :)

But more importantly, if the demo is supposed to be a useful resource for people who are serious about learning how to design a game, I think it's in everyone's best interest to have as professional a demo as possible. I myself am currently trying to improve my sprite skills, and I can learn a lot more by studying ProgZmax's new sprite than the current one.

BOYD1981

i can actually see a few games being made about this subject, like the new roger confronting the old one, and the old one winning or something like that...  :)

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Ali

Quote from: EagerMind on Fri 25/08/2006 05:56:11
I myself am currently trying to improve my sprite skills, and I can learn a lot more by studying ProgZmax's new sprite than the current one.

I think this is an interesting point. Why shouldn't new AGS users learn about effective walkcycles at the same time as they get to grips with scripting? ProgXMax's sprite set would provide them with an good introduction to adventure game animation.

I don't think the old Roger needs to be scrapped altogether, but I do think Roger Mark II would do well as part of the basic AGS package.

Tuomas

ProgZ, get the copyrights to that sprite, and then people could use it to learn stuff, along side with old roger whom they could use in their demo games if they wanted to.

biothlebop

Quote from: BOYD1981 on Fri 25/08/2006 09:55:30
i can actually see a few games being made about this subject, like the new roger confronting the old one, and the old one winning or something like that...Ã,  :)

How about a Jekyll & Hyde type of plot?

I think Roger (especially the older one) has achieved a kind of mythical status (at least among game creators) and it would be a shame if he would remain a template.
Edit: Remembered demo game, although I cannot remember if it had much of a plot.
Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

Helm

QuoteYes, I'd agree. This kind of comes back to the whole issue of the demo game again - I think there was a team who were going to take on the demo game, lead by Joseph DiPerla, but I'm not sure what happened to that.

hahaha

Anyway, about new or old roger, I think if you're going to have a template game like demo quest that is editable and the graphics can be re-used by the users, then you might as well have very good graphics.

What I am certain of, is that the classic sierra rendered gray GUI REALLY has to go.
WINTERKILL

Ali

Helm is right. I don't think there is any way in which the old Roger encourages better game making.

I don't imagine many AGSers were inspired to make adventures by playing poor games. Most people seem to have been inspired by very good adventure games.

SSH

Demo Quest 3 thread is at http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=23083.0 but it doesn't seem to have been updated since about a year ago...

It probably doesn't work under 2.71 or 2.72 now...

R4L

it doesn't work for me...period.

Nacho

I say "No for new Roger!"

ProgZmax' sprites are ok, they are really cool. But I can hardly see differences in all the sprites he makes. That's good! He has his own style! But I would just have too much of "ProgZmaxity" if every newbie starts a game with his sprite with just slight alterations. It would look ridiculous with crappy backgrounds and a pitty to see a simple paintover if the BGs are better than average.

EDIT: Actually, Lore and me had an idea... 95% of AGSers are males, ergo, 85% of the games will have a man as a playable character.

Why don't we make a "Rogeria" in ProgZmax's style?

Pros:

- Less percentage of newbies using the new Roger (The male members would use a man as a mainchar) and, therefore, less newbies not attempting to make one in their own.
- Roger would still be there.
- Girls would come to AGS!!! Weeeeh! Less male chavinism (if there is...) In AGS, teh program.
- More percentaje of games with a girl as main character (The ones finally deciding to paint over ProgZmax')
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

monkey0506

You know...this is actually an interesting topic in that, when I was first looking to starting this project that I've been working on forever (two years ago), I came across AGS a couple of times and people told me that I should use it because it was good for what I wanted.

When I first saw Roger and the Sierra GUI...I ran away. Hahah...but I probably run away too much anyway. I came back when I saw some game that someone had made with an LEC interface. Then left again (for a little bit) when I couldn't control what happened when the user pressed Alt+X. Lol...but AGS is definitely the best. I don't think it would be a bad idea to show the user that AGS can handle higher res graphics than the default Roger...but replacing Roger. That's insanity.

In fact...I actually think it would be quite wonderful to implement some of the 3D modules/plugins into the demo game just so that new comers will know "IT CAN BE DONE!", but with a note that it is for advanced use only (like any 3D game creation).

Ishmael

Put the new roger where you please, but save the default template with it's roger. I wouldn't mind the GUI graphics changing, but ROGER MUST STAY.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk