Who ever made Roger?

Started by Buckethead, Tue 22/08/2006 19:28:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckethead

I was wondering who made this mysterious guy often called Roger a.k.a EGO. I'm also wondering if this person is meant a kid or an adult.

Anyway, who made made this Roger character? I'm really curious because... well to be honest... The person who made Roger did a pretty poor job:

- his head is too small for his body.

- His skin has a very weird color for , I assume, a white person.

- His shape is all strange like he had some awfull accident.

- His hair has no shading and no logic hair line.

- Evil black eyes and mount.

- And what's with this baseball outfit?

Ok please don't ban me now. No offence, but I was just wondering who made Roger and why he's such a geek with all those talented people around.  :P

Mr Flibble

Ohhhhh boy....

*puts on asbestos hat and hides*
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Phemar

Tuomas

I like him, I think he's cuddly. Though I like to watch dogs having sex with kittens too...

jetxl

Nine Toes

Quote from: Buckethead on Tue 22/08/2006 19:28:02
- his head is too small for his body.

- His skin has a very weird color for , I assume, a white person.

- His shape is all strange like he had some awfull accident.

- His hair has no shading and no logic hair line.

- Evil black eyes and mount.

- And what's with this baseball outfit?

Don't forget his walkcycle.  You know... the way he juts his pelvis outward, like he's humping the air or something.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Afflict

Hey leace roger out of this.

Firstly he does hes job well.
Secondly no one ever took the time to make anything so beter.

The fact is that roger is a default sprite in the demo game showing you
what can be done etc.

Some one will probably make a nice demo game sometime :)

Steel Drummer

Roger is from the Space Quest games, you buckethead.
I'm composing the music for this game:

Domino

Maybe we could switch Roger to Chuck Norris. That would be kick-ass awesome.

Well, if we did that, then every game would probably have CN as the main character.

:)

Nine Toes

When Chuck Norris falls into the water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet... the water gets Chuck Norris.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

BOYD1981

what if here were more buff? like this perhaps:

BUFF ROGERS!

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteSecondly no one ever took the time to make anything so beter.

ok.

still easy to work with and using few colors.

Toefur

And it'd be pretty groovy to have him dancing like that everywhere he went.  :=

BOYD1981

the problem with that sprite is that it isn't roger, roger is as much a part of AGS as CJ is and plays an important part in coaxing people into using AGS. i mean, if you opened up AGS and it was filled with expertly drawn sprites and a flashy interface you'd feel kinda put off if you weren't too good at art, but instead of that you get a bland interface and the rather pathetic and hopeless looking roger, and that's why i love AGS and think roger is perfect the way he is.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

DoorKnobHandle

I love the new version by ProgZMax. I think we should go with the time, although it might hurt a bit for people that have been knowing AGS for a few years.

I DON'T think that the new version will make newbies turn away from AGS because it looks better and discourages beginners. I also think Prog's sprites (with walking animations) could work great as a template (way better than the old roger did), which would help lots of art-newbies.

And it STILL is Roger.

Anyways, I support the new sprite completly, we'd just need to update the two default inv-items as well (and possibly some GUI images)...

Gilbert

Prog's roger is no match for CJ's talent.

If you don't like it you can always start with a blank game anyway.

Case closed.

Ubel

I completely disagree with dkh and Buckethead! No new sprite could EVER replace Roger. AGS just wouldn't be the same anymore. :(

Haddas

No new Roger! No new Roger!

If you use the default character then don't complain.

Kweepa

Please finish that Roger, ProgZmax. At least it would make a better template than eric's walkcycle. I would love to see it in the default game. If he had less frames of animation in the walk cycle it might actually be less daunting to someone thinking about animating a new main character.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Dan_N

I don't know if this will be funny or relevant or none of the above, but what the heck, a test of my writing skills:

Roger- The history behind the icon... err... sprite
Chapter 1: Creation
Mr. Chris Jones, the one and only, was sitting one, after finishing his newest version of AGS, what to do to enhance it. He thought about voice recognition, or maybe how to make it sentient, but no, that wasn't going to do it. "Bollocks to it!" he said, being British. So, he went to watch TV. After sulking a bit, he fell asleep on the couch. He then had a dream, a vision, from the past. He was at school, sketching something quite horrid while the match teacher was trying to teach a lesson in geometry. He saw that figure, that figure that would become... ROGER! Then, Mr. Jones woke up! And then he ran to his desk to try and duplicate the sketch. Indeed, he had replicated it ex... no... not exactly, it looked kinda worse. So he then thought that because the dream featured a geometry lesson, he'd add some lines, and squares, and rectangles, and triangles, and circles, and... well, lookie at that. It looked worse so "Bollocks to it again, I'll just strap him in and they should be thankfull that I made them this great and easy-to-use tool to make their own games. But I think I'll make it free to compensate for this horrid thing." he then said. And he went to sleep again. The next morning Mr. Jones that about naming the fellow. He first named him EGO, because he would be the default for the main character that would represent the player in virtual space. But that didn't quite suffice, so he thought: "Ok, I'll flip it! Oge. Hmm... Oge, Oge, Oge, Loge... No, Logel... No... Roger! AHA! EUREKA! I've got IT!". And the rest is history. Roger's history.

Note: If this offended anyone, I shall gladly ask the moderator to tare it down or I'll modify it to just "???".

And if anyone wants the continuing Chapter 2: Childhood, I'll be happy to oblige, just tell me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk