Horror Games Discussion

Started by Dan_N, Mon 04/09/2006 06:47:33

Previous topic - Next topic

vict0r

Dan_N

Yes, well, that's quite amusing. I laughed my arse off Gilboot. But come on, folks let's get back to the matter at hand. Horror games discussion. What do you think of the horror AGS games? Recommend some. Or whatever.

Here's to get the ball rollin': check out the new update on fullyramblomatic. Yahtzee shows you how to make your own Yahtzee-style background. But look closer. (in case you haven't dashed off already) The background and character he uses to keep his proportions right are unknown. And I doubt he would've created these things just for an update... Makes you think, huh?

Kudos! (but said in a scary way)

2ma2

For a good game, try Clock Toweron a SNES emulator. Scissor Man!

ginanubismon

I second  2ma2's opinion.
"I shall call thee, Roger Ellison David Nicouli Etcher Calvin Kevin Sue in honor of what kind of a big jack@$$ you had been to guys like me." ADR -01 Jabberwock Type on fanfiction writers.

Dan_N

What's Clock Toweron? I've never heard of it. Please fill me in.

Helm

WINTERKILL

Dan_N

Right, Clock Tower, what is that?

Dan_N

Fu-nay. Fu-nay.

Anyway, if anyone has some money, go get Sanitarium. (review on Underdogs)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Or don't. It depends on whether you like a damned good atmosphere, horrible voice acting, so-so puzzles with a couple of gratuitous puzzles thrown in for good measure and for giving you an excuse to quit the game, and overall one of the best concepts I've ever seen handled a bit clumsily.

Well, 's what I think.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Dan_N

Rui, you seem to be a connaiseur of the adventure genre, what game(s) do you recommend to the average AGSJoe?

botkiller

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I think it is great!
Well, do you know about my new game?, it is called Day of School THE TEMPLE OF CHAOS, its an.... unusual advenure game mixed with RPG classics games, I need someone with a great imagination too to ask him to join me in the project, my mail is:
Leandro_magno10@hotmail.com

Dan_N

What the hell are you doing here?!

No offense, but are you blind or something?!

The "ask for help with a game" topic is just what? 5 or 6 rows upwards from this thread!

Post there if you need help.

Hell, I'd join, but post there, after reading the rules of course and then maybe someone will help you. Now go away, unless you wanna talk about EXISTING horror games.

Look, I have nothing against newbies as I am one too, but that is just over the line, man! What are you thinking? Pie? Sheesh!

Right then, regaining calmness... going to happy place... good.
Now let's talk horror. Well, since Rui hasn't checked back yet, let's move the conversation forward. After replaying Trilby's Notes (I know, I'm like a broken record...) I noticed that the action and feel of the game changed. In 5DAS and 7DAS, the game was focussed more on the characters, and since you were one of the characters it had a bigger "scare score" if you will, (and now you'll say "no I won't") although it had a solid story too. Notes changed, it was more story driven and although that's not bad for an adventure game, for horror games it isn't all that good. Notes used bad scare techniques like displaying large quantities of blood and gore and spooky music. Now, I don't know about you, but if I see too much blood and gore being thrown in my face every 5 seconds then I become immune to it. Sure, the first time I saw the bad hotel, I though "yeuch!" "eachh!" "blerghh!" but after a few rooms it kinda died out to a "y..." "e..." "b..." "aww forget it!". In 5DAS, you had some blood and gore (but mainly blood) like what, once a room? In 7DAS the "b&g" factor, if you will (I know) was more intense at at shorter intervals, but still, it didn't occur as often as Notes. Secodnly (and I know I din't say "firstly) in Notes there aren't that many ways to die. Although that might be a good thing in an adventure game, in a horror game it's not so much so. 'Cause having many ways to die grows tension and makes you more susceptile to scary scenes, in my opinion. 7DAS was leader in this area followed by 5DAS and Notes was dead last. Notes had one way to die, by my count. And that was by some bugs, which isn't all that impressive, just gory.

esper

I haven't been around for six millenia, but when there is talk of horror games, I'm on it.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=610

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=683

Everyone who knows me knew that was coming. I'm shameles...

Also, everyone who knows me knows I'm also going to press "CALL OF CTHULHU, DARK CORNERS OF THE EARTH." Not an AGS game, but spooktacular.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

Dan_N

Esper, you devil you, sneeking in links to your games, eh? But still, you might find one more download for each of them , as I need to diversify.

But still, keep in tone here.

And elaborate, what exactly are you refferring to when you say "CALL OF CTHULHU, DARK CORNERS OF THE EARTH."?
I take it's a book 'cause it has Cthulhu in it, a book by Lovecraft no less, but still elaborate please, for I haven't read it.

esper

Both of my games are horror. Heavy on the horror. I'm a horror author, and you'll even find a short horror story along with the download of "Town on the Edge of Darkness." Also, I just got done replaying "Heart of Abraxas," which I haven't given a second thought since I made it, and damn near wet myself. I think you'll be pleased. Forgive my meager art skills, though, as that is the only thing that really detracts from the gameplay experience. That and that it was an OROW game and games made in one week (by me) tend to suck. Look for my upcoming game, which I haven't even announced yet, this time notwithstanding. It's horror too.

And as for Dark Corners of the Earth... http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=23297.0

Or Google. The things I do for you people who don't know how to use Google.

You know, in the movie National Treasure, the good guys use Google and the bad guys use Yahoo.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Well, I'm not more of a connoisseur (sp?) than anyone else here in this forum (if anything, I just theorize too damn much), and proof of that is that the horror games I reccommend have already been mentioned, I believe - Black Dahlia (great in all aspects except for gratuitous puzzles that kill the game), all 3 Gabriel Knight games (more thriller than horror, maybe, but still damn good), The Dark Eye (more of an interactive experience than a game, but brilliant), stuff like that. Midnight Nowhere has great atmosphere, confusing storyline and IMHO horrid gameplay/puzzles, Sanitarium also has great atmosphere and concept but could have had better execution, Martian Gothic: Unification is too frustrating for people who want to enjoy the story that it promises to deliver (it could use a remake as a straight adventure, actually, that game could...), Temujin needs a special kind of patience to play, Harvester promises a lot and has the horrible Wizard of OZ-style ending, Bad Mojo is very intriguing and very unique, both Phantasmagorias have quite a bit going for them (come on, everyone says how sleazy and all Phantasmagoria 1 is, but everyone has enjoyed it!), Postmortem is just plain bad and Still-Life has too many "could have been better" moments, Waxworks is kind of a classic but also requires that special sort of patience, Penumbra seems to be a great experience but I've yet to get anywhere in it due to a slow peecy, In Memoriam is very gimmicky and, although quite fun, has ZERO replayability, System Shock 1 is extraordinary and SS2 is arguably a fair sequel that's not quite in the same league. From the top of my head, that's the kind of games I can bring to this discussion.

AGS quality horror games (the must-play sort) include Prodigal, Mind's Eye, the Trilby series, 1213 and Butcher Stanys, which is the best horror game ever made.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Helm

QuoteWaxworks is kind of a classic but also requires that special sort of patience,

Just as long as you map a bit, Waxworks is extremely enjoyable and awesome. Also a 10-4 on System Shock 1.
WINTERKILL

Ghormak

System Shock 2 is fantastic, I recently played it through again and enjoyed it immensely.

I tried System Shock 1 once, but sadly I couldn't get into it. The heavily pixelated textured 3d look is one that hasn't aged well in my eyes. It's strange how the extremely low-poly characters in SS2 don't bother me at all.

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, I'll mention BioShock. A game in development by the team behind the System Shock games. Read some of the Ken Levine interviews, it sounds very interesting.
Achtung Franz! The comic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk