Horror Games Discussion

Started by Dan_N, Mon 04/09/2006 06:47:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_N

Good day and buna ziua.

I've started this topic to discuss three of my favourite adventure games, 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, and Trilby's Notes.
This might have been discussed already, but it was before my time in this forum 'cause in 2002 and 2003 I was living in blissfull ingnorance with no Internet and with a 486 computer and going to the i-cafe for an hour every month or so to get some crappy games that would contain CIHs, but now I can do that from the confort of my own home!

Anyway, which game was scarier?
From my point of view, it was 7DAS. Why? Because the rooms were much more small, which made them more claustrophobical, therefor more frightening. There were also those chases which always got the blood pumping. 5DAS was too quite misterious and quite scary, being the first adventure game in years I've played, I didn't know what to expect, but I was mesmerised by it. The rooms were larger, they contain the back yard, which was kinda big, frankly, only the scene in the bathroom was smaller and more frightening with the 'big sick guy' staring right at you and coming menacingly. Trilby's Notes was probably the worst of them all from this point of view, because it had that documentary sort of feeling 'cause you would have flashbacks to previous times, and the parser was just dang annoying! Although I don't really hate parsers, they just annoy me, 'cause you have to guess what to do next most of the time. And what was the last bit where he had to die?! I tried many times to pass that on my own, but failed miserably, so I got the walkthrough from a topic and all I had to do is move arround a lot. And talk.

Anyway, tell me what YOU think.
(and don't tell me that you think this topic and/or me are stupid, please stick to the subject.)

Update:
I hve decided to add Pleurghburg to this spooky thread. Personally there were 2 things that scared me about Pleurghburg. The dream sequence early in the game where that horrid face comes speeding towards you (that always gets me!) and late at night at the park. The rest was just average I guess. Again, let's see what YOU think! Post TODAY! (and maybe tomorrow and then the day after and then everyday for the rest of your lives!)

Update:
Yet another topic change as thread goes towards horror games. What are you favourite horror games? Why? What's the best, or scariest or whateverest horror game. As I've mentioned below, I've downloaded Lost in the Nightmare, and I must say that after the installer copied it's exact size, it then 20 Megs, which really tickles my monkey! I hated when installers do that. I cleared lots and lots and lots of space by deleting other dear games to make room and what happens?! Ahem. Anyway, I've played LitN a bit (reached the rock with the blond dude) and I must say: I didn't expect point'n'click 3D rendered ZORK! But, aside that, and the fact that you can easily get lost in the beginning, it's quite cute, so far. So, feel free to discuss that too. I am now going to go and take my happy pills and then return.
Kudos!

Gord10

I think horror.5DAS > horror.TrilbysNotes > horror.7DAS   So the constant of yours.

5DAS had a really strong, mysterious atmosphere. Characters, story telling, the mansion itself... Everything was very good. I will be able forget that nightmare bathroom scene in 5DAS so hard.

I didn't get so scared of Trilby's Notes; maybe it was because I had guessed every events in the game (as it was like one of my own horror games). I found the text parser successful, I had to use the walkthrough rarely. It made me decide to use text parser system for my next game.

But I had played 7DAS as just another random adventure game. I don't remember something got me scared in 7DAS.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

jetxl

Dan_N

Off topic:
Gord10, I'm now downloading your Lost In The Nightmare. I hope it's good! 'Cause it's huge and I had to delete Imperialism and Commandos (albeit demo) to make room for it!

On topic:
Kudos!

Gord10

I hope, too :D

Spoiler
Please don't start the game without installing the patch
[close]
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Nostradamus

I slightly prefer Pleurghburg. It was one the first AGS Game to have gore and horror, and it was a long and rich in story and character development. As for the Yahtzee trilogy I'll go with the first 5DAS because there the horror was surprising and unexpected. We knew yahtzee as a comedy games maker and to have such a horrific game was surprising. In the other two you of course expected the horrors. I have to say I absoloutely love the flashback storytewlling of Trilby's Notes.

Gilbert

Of the X Days "series" 6 Days Assasin was scarier, but the scariest was:
Spoiler
3 Minutes a Fart
[close]

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

None of them were scary, except that I enjoyed Pleurghburg as a game more than all of Yahtzee's creations put together.

passer-by

I liked  Prodigal. It was not scary as in "horror scary" but there was tension, a constant feeling of threat and I wanted to get out of there "now!"

[Cameron]

I liked minds eye! But I'm just kissing ass. Favourite horror game is either John Sauls Blackstone Chronicles or Black Dahlia. Really good games them be.

Hammerite

I need to replay Pleughburg.
That game was sweet.
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You had to say that you were kissing ass, didn't you  :'(

m0ds

Enough kissing, or it'll get whipped!

I thought 5 Days was spookier than Trilby's Notes, but Trilby's Notes wasn't definitely "scarier" in my mind, but only because it made me jump a lot, and 5DAS didn't really do that for me. Pleurghburg's atmosphere got tense, which I really enjoyed. I'm yet to play 7DAS.

Dan_N

You have not what?! :o
Good benevolent goodness!!

Anyway, just stepped in to take a look.
I've been playing Lost in the Nightmare (at the 'get key to get in market' stage) and it is swee- erm... ahem... .... ah... a good game! That's what I wanted to say!
*sigh**phew*
Right. Good story. But those fadings just take to damn long! About half my game time is spend on fadings and loadings! That's why I hate my computer! Haven't seen any nudity yet, although it should have some according to Abandonia Reloaded and AGS games database. Oh well...
About Prodigal, I saw the review on Abandonia Reloaded. And I thought it would be cool, but then I looked at system requirements. F*ck sh*t damn sheizer (sh*t in german)! It needs a P4 at 1,4 Ghz for damn 320x240 ?!?!
Oh well...

Life goes on I suppose...
Too bad life sucks...

Kudos!

Ali

Prodigal ran perfectly well for me on Windows 98 with a Pentium II 400Ghz processor. I think those requirements are just the conditions under which the makers are sure the game will run.

And I'm with Cameron, Black Dahlia and Blackstone are distinctly underrated games. The Trilby games were all very suspenseful and enjoyable, but I found Pleurgburgh to be more intriguing.

Dan_N

Ahh... Yes Ali, but I have a P1 at 166 Mhz (still win98).

Anyways, finished Lost in the Nightmare.
Really spooky. I tell ya, the occult stuff in the days games and in the notes have NOTHING on this game right here. Lost Ones, campers, murders, torturings, hell yeah! On a 1 to 10 scale of being sh*t-scared to death, I'd give it a 9. 'Cause darn it, it keeps you in suspence.
And is also the first adventure game EVER that I've ever played without the aid of a walkthrough.
So, you might ask, why not try the sequel demo available here, on AGS.
Well, 'cause frankly, after playing the first one, now I'd like to play Fluffy Bunny Buddies in the land of Much Candy (the kid's version, to clarify)!
No more horror games for me for a while. Thank you, kudos and good *shudder* wha- what was that?
I heard a creak! mommy.... scared.... must hide beneath bed... finish post... gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-

passer-by

Quote from: Dan_N_GameZ on Mon 04/09/2006 19:58:50
Well, 'cause frankly, after playing the first one, now I'd like to play Fluffy Bunny Buddies in the land of Much Candy (the kid's version, to clarify)!
That's very brave! Me, I play nothing but Mahjong now.
:P

Nostradamus

Dan_N_Gamez, how the hell can you live with a P1  :o ???

Dan_N

Thanks for f*cking reminding me!

Anyway, hey! It runs most of the AGS games. I played Pleurghburg, the Days games, Notes, Lost in the Nightmare, the Rob Blanc trilogy, Apprentice and many, many more. It runs StarCraft. (It RUNS STARCRAFT) Mighty well, might I add. And I can play a host of other games, most of those that have not been made past the year 1999 and are not very 3D (Blood 2 is an exception). Unfortunately to play games that are past 1999, I need a P2 at at least 233 Mhz, with 32 Mb of memory, and a monitor that supports 800x600 and more. Although my video board supports that resolution. Anyway, I need DOUBLE what I have now. And yes, I'm finished bitching!
No, wait, I've gotta bitch some more: bitch bitch I'm single, bitch bitch I don't have any money, bitch bitch I'm starting high-school in a couple of weeks, bitch bitch no-one has even of Romania, bitch freaking bitch. Now I'm done bitching. Alright, you may resume talking amongst yourselves. I'm going to bitch some more on other forums!

Kudos!

Gilbert

* Gilbot V7000a actually can live with his 386-40 (which was amazingly fast!), that is..., until his cat destroyed it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk