MAGS September: Retroparanoia

Started by Klaus, Mon 04/09/2006 10:57:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

Quote from: Dan_N_GameZ on Tue 05/09/2006 11:09:23
Right, so can I?
Use the first 16 colors of MSPaint and not fiddle arroun with the pallete?
Yes, of course. Good luck for your game...

Buckethead

since Dan_N_Gamez was annoucing his game too and I found it a good idea:

Starring:

- Zeke
- An unknow visitor
- a peacefull planet

Will have:

- Silly backgrounds and characters
- Major conspiricy
- A well thought story
- Unexpected turn of the story!
- A new gui (hopefully)

JuuL

Is it allowed to use puplicly availble GUIs such as Proskrito's MI2 GUI?

Klaus

Quote from: JuuL on Tue 05/09/2006 17:12:06
Well, this is not really forbidden, but it would be nice if you'd adjust it in some way like working on the graphics for example - making it a little more unique.

JuuL

Quote from: Klaus on Tue 05/09/2006 17:22:59
Quote from: JuuL on Tue 05/09/2006 17:12:06
Well, this is not really forbidden, but it would be nice if you'd adjust it in some way like working on the graphics for example - making it a little more unique.
I will adjust the graphics . I only need the coding.

Dan_N

Thanks, Klaus and good luck Buckethead and Juul.

Update: I'll try to finish it (my entry) by the 15th 'cause then I start high-school (my first year!) and I probably won't have time...Ã,  :'(

Buckethead

JuuL

Quote from: Dan_N_GameZ on Wed 06/09/2006 08:12:07
Thanks, Klaus and good luck Buckethead and Juul.
Good luck to both of you from me too.
I'm glad that there's three of us in the competition. Winning because your game is the only one wouldn't be funny for any of us.

Klaus

Quote from: JuuL on Wed 06/09/2006 14:55:24
I'm glad that there's three of us in the competition.
Well, an announced game doesn't mean by default that it also turns into an entry in the end...

JuuL

Quote from: Klaus on Wed 06/09/2006 15:07:30
Quote from: JuuL on Wed 06/09/2006 14:55:24
I'm glad that there's three of us in the competition.
Well, an announced game doesn't mean by default that it also turns into an entry in the end...
That's true. I think more games have been announced than finished in the many MAGS competitions. Let's just hope that this time it will be different.

Buckethead

quick question, does your game actually has to be totally done to be an entry?

Klaus

Quote from: Buckethead on Wed 06/09/2006 18:33:38
quick question, does your game actually has to be totally done to be an entry?
Let's say it like this: It should have an end.
Noone actually knows what you planned for your entry. So you could leave out puzzles and/or locations for example if you fear not to make it in time. This was done with several entries in the past. Maybe you can set up your game creation in stages and add elements if you still have time left but I can also imagine that this is not the best solution for "all" projects. You can still offer the "complete" game after the competition then.

JuuL

Two questions:
1) www.worldofmi.com has a lot of fan created MI music. Can I use some of that for my game or would that be against the rules?
2) For my 5 inventory items from the list of unused items, I'm considering to use some of these:
- A plastic goose with a rope on the top
- Fine Leather Jacket
- Stan's hat
- Any part of Murray except arm and skull
- A badge that says "Ask me about -----"
- A Darth Vader helmet
They are all on the list and have not been rejected in any post. Does that mean that they are OK even if some of them might have been used in a game before? It would be annoying to have to change my plans just because the list might not be entirely correct.

SinSin

ive only just started getting to know using only 16 colours and ive found that paint doesnt give you just 16 colours BUT when i save it in 16 colours it gives you 16 colours although Brown is not there how can i make it so that the correct colours are all there or do you suggest using photoshop 7
Currently working on a project!

Ubel

I suggest you to use GraphicsGale. It handles palettes very well.

SinSin

Currently working on a project!

Dan_N

Right then, I hope I don't bother anyone with this, but I'm changing projects and bit. The entire story is just to big to be fitted in one game and I'm thinking about separating it into 3 games. So is it ok mr. klaus if I make the first part as a mags game and make the others regular games separately? I mean is ok to use the title the story of my mags game in future developments? By the way, I'm cutting the three playable characters to one, 'cause it would be too complex and it would take to long to make. Hopefully I'll make up for this loss with nice story and interesting puzzles. Right then, to work! Wait, no, one last question: can you post work from a mags game in the lounge to get critisism? Now back to work!

PS: using as inventory items:
- the characters mom
- the characters dad
- a copy of AGS
- canned bread
- a speaker

Klaus

Quote from: JuuL on Sat 09/09/2006 08:00:30
Can I use some of that for my game or would that be against the rules?
For music you can go the same way as for free graphics that are offered on the web. You may use it but selfmade would be better. But especially for music this might be very difficult, so if you find a nice tune for free you may use it.
For that MI page I'm not really sure if you might run into a copyright issue with these sounds: I don't know if you're allowed to use these themes for free and I'm not even sure if the "composers" of these arrangements do have the rights to publish these creations as they base on the Monkey Island theme. But I don't want to scare you - maybe it's just my individual look on this topic. Some ideas: You may want to contact the composers, ask here on the boards for support in sound or look for a free music archive. But as said it's just my way to see this topic.

Quote from: JuuL on Sat 09/09/2006 08:00:30
For my 5 inventory items from the list of unused items, I'm considering to use some of these ...
They are all on the list and have not been rejected in any post. Does that mean that they are OK even if some of them might have been used in a game before?
Sure, go for these items. As answered to Xellie we don't look too close here, just try to go for the "unusual".

Quote from: Dan_N_GameZ on Sun 10/09/2006 21:22:54
So is it ok mr. klaus if I make the first part as a mags game and make the others regular games separately? I mean is ok to use the title the story of my mags game in future developments?
Of course all this is allowed. MAGS is not going for any special rights on the entries or something like that. There already exist MAGS games that were followed by a sequel or a deluxe version later. Everything's okay here. Create the game (or the series) just as you like. For entering MAGS you only need to have an eye on the rules ;)

Quote from: Dan_N_GameZ on Sun 10/09/2006 21:22:54
can you post work from a mags game in the lounge to get critisism?
Don't hesitate to post your questions there.

charliechuck

Damn. I spent all last week at work making about 10 backgrounds for my entry in paint using the 16 colour pallete in paint(admittedly there not particularly good backgrounds). I mis-read the rules and thought this was right. But after seeing Sinsin's post I realise it's not. Although looking at the wikipedia entry for CGA the Dark Yellow was the original colour and not brown although the monitor made it look brown. Anyway, I'll convert the colour to brown. I think I'll be finished in time, get ready for ---- Don Spillacy's Conspiracy Quest ----

FSi++

Two general MAGS questions.

Question 1.
Can I still enter?

Question 2.
Could it be RON game or must I create all characters from scratch?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk