El Ammo: now released! (Parody)

Started by , Mon 04/09/2006 19:45:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey, a Llama

NOTE: This is a parody called "El Ammo", it is not the Himalaya Studios game "Al Emmo"

El Ammo and the Flying Dutchman's Mine, a witty western with a healthy dose of
bullets, follows in the tradition of classic shoot-em-up gaming. Join El, a
tough, triggerhappy, Westerner, on his journey into the heart of the Wild-West
in search of a suitable kitten. Shoot the quaint mold-rush town of Tumbleweed
Gulch; chat up highly obnoxious babes; cautiously evade warring cactus tribes;
discover legends of lost ghosts; bask in the intense heat of combat; encounter
breathtaking falling bottles; meet up with the occasional rabid prairie dog,
and shoot it!

El Ammo and the Flying Dutchman's Mine is a fictional comedy with emphasis
on, well, shooting things.

No dialogue pictures, beautifully illustrated or otherwise, allow deep interaction
with any NPCs. High-color, hand painted backgrounds create a gaming world that is
truly a marvel to shoot to little pieces.

Built on AGS, one of the most feature-intensive game development engines around,
the game utilizes state-of-the-art prerendered 3D graphics, harnessing today's
leading technology and submersing the player into a bullet-rich world of enemies
and cactuses. Cacti. Whatever.

Download: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=784

This game is rated PG-13 for violent content. But come on, it's just pixels.
If you're going to be offended by a bloody pixel you should probably hide away
in a cave somewhere. Or have a nice chat with that Jack Thompson guy.

ManicMatt

You need to get a better host!

I'm not paying money to download files for a free game.

I thought this was going to be a commercial game? No?

EDIT: Sorry I'm a rather grumpy mood!

Erenan

Matt, this is not Al Emmo. It seems to be some kind of parody on it.
The Bunker

Mordalles

Quote from: Hey, a Llama on Mon 04/09/2006 19:45:42
High-color, hand painted backgrounds create a gaming world that is
truly a marvel to shoot to little pieces.
the game utilizes state-of-the-art prerendered 3D graphics, harnessing today's
leading technology and submersing the player into a bullet-rich world of enemies
and cactuses.

i'm not sure if himalaya knows about this, but i know britney worked really hard on the graphics for their game, and i don't think just ripping their graphics before their game is even released is a wise move.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

deadsuperhero

Bah humbug, it was a terrible game, not worth my money.
Even though the graphics and gameplay itself were ok, it's not something I'd pay money for.
EVER.

The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

LimpingFish

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

buloght

I am confused too. This same thread was started at adventure gamers and removed just a while ago.

Erpy

Yeah, we noticed the link to the thread at the AG main site, but the thread was already taken down by the mods there.

To clarify, the game being offered here is not affiliated, endorsed or otherwise connected to Himalaya Studios. Somebody downloaded the demo and presumably the sample music on our site, screen-captured the art and animations and put them together in a project obviously intended to poke fun at ours. (I have no idea to the identity of the thread starter, but my hunch is that it's an old regular of the adventure game community who dropped out of the public spotlight nearly a year ago...nobody else I know would take so much time to create spoofs on AGDI or Himalaya)

It's unfortunate that this is being distributed so close to the release date of our own game, the last thing we want is to cause confusion and additional complications in the midst of a well-prepared public release process. We're not going to demand this thread to be closed yet, but when our own game is gonna be released, the LEAST thing I'll do is ask the mods here to rename this thread to get rid of any more confusion.

Hope that clears things up for everyone.

Candle

You don't have to pay for the download just click the free button at the bottom and wait 30 sec for the download link to come up.

From the read me in the folder.

Code: ags
Note: El Ammo is a work of parody. All graphics and music are the copyright and
legal property of Himalaya Studios, who are not affiliated with Hey, A Llama
Studios in any way whatsoever. All events and characters depicted in this work
are fictive, and any resemblance to any events or characters in real life is
entirely coincidentally. If you enjoyed this game, check out the game of Al Emmo
on www.himalayastudios.net, which is a lot less silly than this one but it's
really nice and you should really download it. Hell, if you hated this game
because it was too damn silly you should still go to Himalaya and download their
game. El Ammo is a work of freeware and no money may be charged for it at all,
not even for the download or the CD or whatever. If you want to include El Ammo
in any kind of collection, shareware CD or anything, be my guest but please
consider also adding the Al Emmo demo. This software may contain nuts. The
direction is not responsible for any goods stolen or lost while your attention
was purely focused on the software, nor for any damage, real or otherwise, that
this game may afflict to your computer, real or otherwise. The surgeon general
says that reading lengthy disclaimers can be hazardous to your health. Thank you.

ManicMatt

That website is only free until you've downloaded so much, then you must pay.

But I don't want this pparody thing anyway. Seems pointless to play a parody of a game I have yet to play.

Candle

Ok I see. I pay for an account there so I download for free.
I could upload it someplace else if you like.

http://www.mytempdir.com/910248

deadsuperhero

Might as well. Let other people play it for free.

waste of money...

EDIT: Please avoid unnecessary swearing
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

AGD2

QuoteWe're not going to demand this thread to be closed yet, but when our own game is gonna be released, the LEAST thing I'll do is ask the mods here to rename this thread to get rid of any more confusion.

Actually, that's exactly what I'm going to request.  I'd appreciate if a moderator or admin could remove this thread/game from the AGS forums/site. We're going to be releasing Al Emmo this week and this seems suspiciuously like a deliberate attempt to cause confusion.

Furthermore, whoever made this did not get approval or permission to use any of our game's material. So I'm requesting that this thread and the content relating to the game please be removed from the AGS site. Thanks.

SSH

Parody is exempt from US copyright law, isn't it?

Candle

Quote from: SSH on Tue 05/09/2006 10:46:07
Parody is exempt from US copyright law, isn't it?

I think so.

Erpy

QuoteParody is exempt from US copyright law, isn't it?

Not in the way most people think. Here is how it DOESN'T work.

IP owner: You're using my intellectual property without my consent. Kindly meet me in court next friday.
Parody maker: But this material is parody.
IP owner: Oh...in that case, it must be legal. Nevermind me.

The parody-section of the fair use clause doesn't protect anyone against anything. This is how it WOULD work.

IP Owner's lawyer: Your honor, on behalf of my client, I'd like this product's distribution to be ceased as it contains intellectual property that was used without my client's consent.
Parody maker's lawyer: This material is parody, your honor.

So basically, the parody-section does not prevent legal action from happening, it's just an argument your lawyer could use in court in an attempt to avoid losing the case...although it has never actually anyone a case so far. Even if it IS a parody, you're only allowed to use what you absolutely need.

Of course, that doesn't have anything to do with this situation...we're not interested in starting lawsuits or anything...we just want to avoid the presence of confusing factors as our own game is prepared for shipping. (confusion as in...having a thread called "El Ammo: now released!" and a thread called "Al Emmo: now released!" in the same forum)

SSH

Quote from: Erpy on Tue 05/09/2006 11:07:26
So basically, the parody-section does not prevent legal action from happening, it's just an argument your lawyer could use in court in an attempt to avoid losing the case...although it has never actually anyone a case so far.

Apart from Campbell vs Acuff-Rose Music Inc and Suntrust vs Houghton Mifflin you mean?  :P

I think it is reasonable for the subject of this thread to be changed to "El Ammo (Parody)". I don't think it is reasonable for it to be deleted. Threads are hardly ever "removed" from these forums, only locked, and locking would not achieve a great deal.

Nikolas

I'd say that unless Mr. Lamma comes in again and speaks his mind delete it! No matter the freedom of speach or anything like that, this is totally ill comment on a game to be released. No humour! No parody! There is no mention of a parody in this thread, and it is harmful for a game for which many have tryed and 'suffered' to release.

Unless the creator has something to say, delete it! OR change the tittle completly!

SSH

Some of the best parodies ever have been hugely misinterpreted, as some people took them seriousyl, and their humour and effectiveness has been dependent on looking authentic. April fools jokes usually are best when they try to look authentic, as is Swift's "A Modest Proposal".

Also, I nearly said "Assume good faith" but then I realised I've been editing wikipedia too much recently...

ManicMatt

I can just see the real game being released and at least one person shouting:

"Hey!! You ripped off that El Ammo game you bastards!"

Parodies are fine, but shouldn't they be released AFTER the original game has come out?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk