El Ammo: now released! (Parody)

Started by , Mon 04/09/2006 19:45:42

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

Umm, so why didn't you just use the "Report to moderator" button, and/or PM?

AGD2

I did! Nobody's replied yet.

Adamski

I can understand that this might seem much more threatening from where the Himalaya Studio developers are sitting, but I don't personally think a quick parody game hosted on rapidshare - which is enough of a deterrent itself to stop the causal browser downloading it - is going to affect the release of your game at all. You'll probably do more harm drawing attention to it than if you just let it bury itself amongst the depths of the internet as it will surely do on it's own accord :P

But whether it's malicious or not, I'll at least edit the title to denote more clearly that it's a parody. I'm not crazy about deleting something that's mostly harmless for now, but I'll discuss the situation with the rest of the moderators.

LimpingFish

Why are they worried that a piece of hastily cut 'n pasted nonsense could damage them?

It looks like it's more a case of personal insult, since they obviously know, or at least suspect, who this person is.

Choose your battles, I say.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Sleeping Turtle

It is a trick by AGDI to get publicity for their upcoming game  :o. Surrounding something with controversy is technique used by many organizations to get people interested in something they normally wouldn't be interested in  ;D

All joking aside, I feel AGDI needs to view this as a blessing in disguise. Now some people are going to want to play the real game to see what the parody is parodizing (sp?).

AGD2

Thanks for adding the parody line and the warning that this is not the real game. While I'm a little disapointed that the forum can be used as a safe-haven for publishing this kind of material against a copyright holder's wishes, I'm satisfied that the changes made will no longer result in any confusion about the two projects.

Nostradamus

Why make a parody aboiut an unreleased game anyway? who would understand the parody... ?

Nikolas

Quote from: Nostradamus on Wed 06/09/2006 08:14:22
Why make a parody aboiut an unreleased game anyway? who would understand the parody... ?
Exactly! Spot on post! And what a waste of a post is mine. but then again what a waste of a thread is this thread ;)

LimpingFish

Quote from: AGD2 on Wed 06/09/2006 04:24:06While I'm a little disapointed that the forum can be used as a safe-haven for publishing this kind of material against a copyright holder's wishes

That's a tad harsh. :-\
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Candle

QuoteWhile I'm a little disapointed that the forum can be used as a safe-haven for publishing this kind of material against a copyright holder's wishes
Don't forget the drug pusher's and terrorist's.

m0ds

Ripping stuff is not cool. Well not in my books, anyway. Not if you intend to post it on the internet. Not simply for the legal side but just for how it makes the original artists and contributors to that game really feel. I'm sure some do see the funny side of it but for others - and often in this fragile environment of commercial experimentation - they probably get pissed off. I'd also prefer a community that took to its own side once in a while and defended such mis-use on a friend or respect basic, but that's asking a lot of simply anyone that could be "trying out game making using AGS" these days. Parodies are un-deniably hillarious...take Scary Movie for example. There's bound to be at least one single scene from all the movies that makes you smile. But everything is afresh. It respects the originals at the same time as poking fun at them. & that's the kind of parody I might consider playing. It may be maaaaany years before I actually play Al Emmo, but when I do, despite what I might dislike about it I will regard the teams work as excellent, and be thankful for the amount of effort they have still put into it. And I'd respect that of anyone really, that can do as much. And that's saying something about people that don't make parodies and still get great games finished too! And lame ones!

At the end of the day I think Nostradamus makes a very good point:
QuoteWhy make a parody aboiut an unreleased game anyway? who would understand the parody... ?

Finally, my thought on this thread. Let's just say if I saw a FoY parody, I would at first be pissed off. I'm sure anybody would, even if you'd just announced BOB TEH TURD HEAD in Games in Production and three ms-paint days later someone has bloody released a parody of your bestest biggest game you were ever going to make, etcaers... Um. So like things like Princess Marion and the Fountain of Unicorns - that's cool, it's kind of nice. But your game comprised of my screenshots page. Come on - that's low. And screen-capping a game...

I think if the developers of Al Emmo are offended by this parody, we should respect their wishes of whether it stays or gos. I don't think the mods really mind it being here, and I'll live with it - but I'd rather the developers of the real product were actually themselves, happy.

SSH

Quote from: m0ds on Thu 07/09/2006 02:48:05
Let's just say if I saw a FoY parody, I would at first be pissed off.

Does this mean I need to take down Princess Marian and the Fountain of Unicorns?  ;)

Peder 🚀

Doesnt the fact that people keep posting in here give more attraction to this game?  ???

Just my thought, anyway.
I agree with m0ds on this.

And I personally will as soon as I can afford it buy the original game.
When I will be able to play It I dunno :o.
I guess I will be playing it when I need a break from my upcomming game ;D.

srry for any offtopic here.

voh

I dislike it when people put up the whole "BUT EET EES HURTING UUSSSS" charade. It is NOT hurting you and it will not. How many people do you think will get to know about Al Emmo on these websites? How many of them will buy it? It's a pretty low number, most likely, since most of your buyers will come from the bigger adventure gaming-related sites. And if they already KNOW about the game (which I assume), then how the hell are they going to be fooled into thinking a free, tiny, differently-named game, which, when played, OBVIOUSLY isn't your game, is in all actuality, your game?

This game is no threat. It's not a threat at all. It's nothing. Nothing but a somewhat enjoyable pun as the title, that is ;)

I'd suggest to drop the discussion. When you don't like something on the internet, you got a problem. The internet is a place where it's incredibly difficult to get information OFF without either a lawsuit or physically incapacitating the perp. If it's removed here, it'll pop up somewhere else all the sooner. When you find something on the web which annoys you, just ignore it. It's the only thing that seems to work :P
Still here.

Khris

My impression(?):
An ex-member or the like makes a deliberate attempt at pissing off AGDI, and so they want to get back at him by having the El Ammo-threads removed as soon as they appear.

Perfectly understandable, from a revenge-, we'll-triumph-in-the-end-POV. (And I'm with you here.)

When I first saw the thread's title, I indeed confused it with Al Emmo, probably because I read whole sentences, not letter for letter. However it took me only 3-4 seconds to realize that this isn't the real thing.

indyfan

the issue here isn't a parody game. this isn't really a problem.
not that this could actually be considered as a parody. more a tiny fan game.

the issue is the stealing of copyrighted backgrounds. which should not be allowed.

MrColossal

Then we have a lot of fan games we'll have to shut down and delete their threads and remove them from the games database.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Nikolas

I still feel that it is rather ill intended towards the real game.

A parody should come out after the game was released, and not a coupld of days before.

I just doesn't feel right.

Still the (Parody) in the thread name is something.

Maybe we should just let the thread die instead of arguing? That could serve all of us who agree or disagree. :)

voh

There are no rules WHEN something should be released. It's all arbitrary and personal reasoning I see here.

It's up to the mods, they decided (so far) to keep it. Deal, close this, or ignore this, just stop whining :P
Still here.

Hammerite

who cares?
someone ripped some art for a parody.
who gives a fuck?
he's not getting any money from it and he's not releasing the game illegally so just shut up
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk