Which AGS games in production are you most excited about?

Started by thewalrus, Tue 19/09/2006 05:26:46

Previous topic - Next topic

markbilly

Quote from: Mods on Wed 23/09/2009 17:06:39
Resonance
Teh final Ben Jordan!
Frantic Franko
Puzzle bots!
Teh Longevity Gene

There's a lot upcoming on the table these days which I'm sure will be awesome!! Question is are any of these going to be out before the awards :O

Just spotted this, thanks Mods! It's quite an honour being mentioned in this thread, I always used to check it to see what games to look out for...

In response to the awards, maybe next time? :D

I reckon, at the moment:

Resonance
Rise of the Hidden Sun
Star Wars: Guardians of the Galaxy
The Forgotten Element
The Darksiders Part 1
Revenge of the Baloon-Headed Mexican (new Ben and Dan game)
All of Ben304's upcoming projects!

There really are loads of great looking games in production!

Patternjake

***SPOILER IN MY SENTENCE LOOK AWAY NOW***

Definately Ben Jordan Case 8. The ending of Cardinal Sins really bummed me out since it really left me hanging for more! And percy? Who would have though it!

Cant believe Simon dies though! Maybe he will come back as a ghost haha. Hope Grundislav releases it before xmas!

If im not coding, im msn. If im not msn, im gaming.

m0ds

Quote from: Snake on Thu 24/09/2009 17:05:37
Quote from: SSH on Thu 24/09/2009 16:44:53
I think Mark is trawling the forums for old theads to ressurrect  :=

lol!

Here, maybe this is what he's looking for:

Games I'm anticipating:
-FOY
-FOY
-FOY
-FOY
-FOY

Ha, everyone already is, so nerr! :P

Now, Danny Dread! MOFO!

LimpingFish

It's interesting to look back on those games that were anticipated...

Quote from: LimpingFish 19 Sept 2006
The Forgotten Element, Herman Toothrot's Monkey Island, NBATAOK, Puppet, Drugbust, Startrippers, Emma Roide, Our Darkest Hour, Everything That Begins With An M, Legend of the Lost Lagoon...

...but still haven't been released.

Yet.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

m0ds

Didn't Tom ditch Drugbust?

Shame it's generally by catching word of mouth or what not to find out what happened to many of these games.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Tom and I had some difficulties with Drug Bust, mainly the scope of it growing impossibly huge, and I decided to try and re-script it from scratch since there were so many problems with different gameplay elements Tom tried to get working (to his credit, he put a lot of effort into the game).  Eventually, though, it just became an albatross and by then he was busy with college again and I'd gotten a paying job.

I'd release the rebuild I made but there's very little to actually DO.  I wouldn't even classify it as a game yet aside from the shooting range which is the very last thing I implemented.

Goldfish

Rather than all the whiffle about vaporware would it be more productive to have a film-type rating added to the in production threads?

Like-

Concept
Development
Pre
Production
Demo
Release

And then tell game makers not to post an in production thread until they reach Pre, not to post a concept or development thread as an in production etc.

It seems that some emotionally needy folks are just posting total vaporware, and legendary vaporware even, to get some love, which detracts from trying to find actual in existence projects.

I am not a massive fan of nostalgia at the best of times, least of all nostalgia for what never existed or was completed.

I think the AGS forums are a lovely community, but the constant zombie-ism related to these old projects etc. is quite tiring. Especially when you have eg Phoenix, McCarthy Chronicles both of which are really cool, in two different ways. Yet thread after thread, some of them now years old, pop up, about stuff that, to be frank, ain't never ever gonna happen. Ever.

Sigh.

blueskirt

Wouldn't change anything. Many of the vaporwares mentionned here reach as far as production (aren't people asked to post screenshots when creating a thread in the GiP?), anything that has yet to reach testing phase can get cancelled for any reason, release phase for games based on somebody else's IP.

What you don't know you can't miss, personally I don't play demo nor click on any thread in the GiP forum except for a handful of creators I trust will finish their games. Sole exceptions I did to my rule is for Gesundheit, who's demo I got from TIGSource, and FoY, which is the only game that was around before I stopped to check the GiP and that's still around nowadays.

Dualnames

Goldfish: I know it's not your intention or anything, but you sounded a little harsh. At least to me. Nobody wants to keep making a game forever. I'm not searching for love. I'm just a little in between opinions.

It's really wrong to consider that people are just creating this cool screenshots and stuff to play with people and make publicity. None of us did expect it in such scale. Lemmy and Blinky just wanted to make boobs, Snake wanted to make a game remniscent of his favourite choose your own adventure books, I wanted to make a game about my favorite book.

But the enthusiasm can't last forever, and after it's gone, you think over things more seriously.

The Forgotten Element doesn't even have a demo, but have you seen how much have the team worked on it?
Fountain of Youth has been in production like forever..(2003), have you seen recent art? Or noticed a change in Mod's avatar?

All of those guys have a finished version of the game, but it's not good enough. At least mine isn't.
I'd rather burn my pc, than release this game as it is. It's not enjoyable in this state. And that's my goal.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Grim

I think posting news about a game that might never be finished gives the maker that little extra confidence that the whole thing is worth the trouble. In the end of the day, most of us here make games all on our own, spending countless hours at our pcs, staring at the lines of script, adjusting that one pixel that doesn't fit. It's easy to sometimes start thinking- what if no one is going to like it?What if it's just my own delusion that this project of mine is worth spending so much time on? Maybe it'd make more sense to take on fishing instead?
  A little pat on the back never hurt anyone. A professional development studio has a goal they need to achieve or they're all out of jobs. They probably have meetings when they pat each other's backs all the time... But for us, lonely avant garde gamemakers of the future, all there is sometimes is some dude on the forum saying: nice work, looking forward to this. And it's enough to keep us going, because deep inside we know that this guy is just as passionate about this hobby as we are. It's really reassuring to realize that we're not the only ones. I guess...

Besides, isn't it only natural that many games in production will never see their releases? Games are like salmons swimming upstream I suppose. Not all of them will make it into the ocean.

Goldfish

In some cases, "in production" for FIVE years with no progress?

If you start something at puberty and there's been no advance by the time you reach college... Isn't that the software equivalent of the guitar gathering dust in the basement?

Games like that are actually becoming impossible to complete with current iterations of the AGS program itself.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I think it would be possible to have loads of more meaningful WiP threads and tag them as SPRITES WiP, BACKGROUND WiP etc.

It seems to me, reading through lots of threads, some starting in eg 2005 and having shown zero progress, that especially in earlier years there was a sense of pressure to match the pretensions of others- it wasn't grand enough to just say "I'm making some really cool sprites" etc.- one had to also be making a GAME! And if you weren't making a full GAME! of some sort then...

The music composers here do it the best. They just put out what they're doing and that's that.

Dualnames

Quote from: Goldfish on Thu 21/01/2010 21:35:38
In some cases, "in production" for FIVE years with no progress?

If you start something at puberty and there's been no advance by the time you reach college... Isn't that the software equivalent of the guitar gathering dust in the basement?

Games like that are actually becoming impossible to complete with current iterations of the AGS program itself.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I think it would be possible to have loads of more meaningful WiP threads and tag them as SPRITES WiP, BACKGROUND WiP etc.

It seems to me, reading through lots of threads, some starting in eg 2005 and having shown zero progress, that especially in earlier years there was a sense of pressure to match the pretensions of others- it wasn't grand enough to just say "I'm making some really cool sprites" etc.- one had to also be making a GAME! And if you weren't making a full GAME! of some sort then...

The music composers here do it the best. They just put out what they're doing and that's that.

I don't think there's a non-locked in production game with more than 100 or 30.000 views that hasn't been updated for the last five years.

Which game exactly are you speaking of?

Legend of the lost Lagoon by Dan.

I think he's lost the pace the last two years, but the man (at least some people said it) is working on it. Doesn't mean anything that there's not a demo or anything.
Some updates can be found here:
http://twitter.com/lostlagoon/

People choose to promote via demos other via screenshots only. McCarthy had most of its replies only by screenshots.

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

markbilly

The Far Corners of the World
Boryokudan Rue
ShattenReyze
Romancing the blade
Resonance
H2G2
McCarthy 2
The Longevity Gene! ;)

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Grim Reaper on Thu 21/01/2010 20:01:51
Besides, isn't it only natural that many games in production will never see their releases? Games are like salmons swimming upstream I suppose. Not all of them will make it into the ocean.

I like the salmon analogy.

I enjoy reading about the could have beens. Everything would get much less interesting if we got rid of their wip threads. Plus they might get actually finished someday.

Ali

Quote from: Ascovel on Thu 21/01/2010 22:50:37

Isn't the ocean traditionally downstream?

Wesray

It's a pity that so many ambitious projects will most likely never see the light of day. Reading the thread reminded me of Woodlands which I was very much looking forward to. Sent the author a PM about it too.

On the one hand I understand authors not releasing games they don't feel are ready. On the other hand, just thinking of all the hard work that went into abandoned projects makes me a bit sad. From my perspective as an adventure player its better to release something that is rough around the edges but that many can still enjoy, than aiming for an impossible level of perfection that will never be achieved. Some of the games in the AGS database that I enjoyed most were less than polished in some ways. But of course I see the other side too.

Quote from: Ali on Fri 22/01/2010 00:29:34
The breeding places are upstream, which makes it an even better analogy! ;D

Now getting back to the actual topic; I think I have already commented, but currently I'm waiting on needles for Ben Jordan 8!! And Ben Jordan 2 Deluxe of course. And lots of other games too like ShattenReyze, Boryokudan Rue, Frantic Franco etc etc.
THE FAR CORNERS OF THE WORLD: Chapter 2 currrently in the works...

Grim

Quote from: Ali on Fri 22/01/2010 00:29:34
Quote from: Ascovel on Thu 21/01/2010 22:50:37

Let's not get into details...:)

Just thought of a game that would collect all those unfinished projects and merged them into one unfinished surreal game of all beginnings and no endings... How great would that be?!!

Wesray

Quote from: Grim Reaper on Fri 22/01/2010 00:57:48
Just thought of a game that would collect all those unfinished projects and merged them into one unfinished surreal game of all beginnings and no endings... How great would that be?!!

Would love to play that. An AGSers fever dream! ;D
THE FAR CORNERS OF THE WORLD: Chapter 2 currrently in the works...

Goldfish

The RON concept is sound, even if the snarled continuity and lack of a simple timeline etc. seems to be offputting to newcomers... Maybe there could be an ABANDONED thingy somewhere where people can put their game fragments out for adoption... like a puppy pound for games or something.

I dunno just thinking "out loud". :)

cat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk