Syberia and Myst

Started by SilverWizard_OTF, Wed 27/09/2006 11:55:09

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverWizard_OTF

Which sequel do you find most exciting; Myst has fantasting ridhles and marvellous surrounding, but Syberia is very touching, it can make you burst into tears. Which one would you prefer???
"All we have to decide is what to do, with the time that is given to us"

SSH

Sequel? Are you asking if we prefer the originals or sequels, or if the whole Syberia series to the Myst series, or Syberia2 to Riven, or what?

Anyway, I prefer Broken Sword 1 and 2 to either, although I liked the original Myst somewhat.

SilverWizard_OTF

Well, i you can also compare each game seperately. I think Riven is the top of Myst sequels. I would prefer to buy Riven than Syberia (1 and 2)

jetxl

I buy Myst games to prevent other people from buying them. I should get a school named after me. Myst games must be fun for the developer to make, hence that there are so many of them. For the player it's boring. Boring story, boring puzzles, boring music, boring backgrounds. A charmless game, yet they have sold milions. Not really; the game came free with one of the first cd-rom players, which sold milions. At least that's what I told.

It is sad that the adventure game has spiraled downwards so much that mediocre games like Syberia are seen as the best the gerne can offer nowadays. Sad.

alimpo83

Jet I think you are a action game addict ;D , since your consider the Myst series to be boring in every aspect. You are missing the beauty of it! And have you played Syberia? Really? :D
LIMPO ARTS

SSH

What is wrong with Syberia:

1. The first section is full of doors that you can't go into. It makes it look like they had origianlly intended it to be bigger, but ran out of time and money
2. There are too many filler screens with no purpose but for the player to walk through from A to B, slowly
3. The cursor change over a hotspot is so small as to be hard to notice

What is good about Syberia:
1. Mobile phone was a nice idea, although might have been done better
2. Awesome graphics

ManicMatt

Didn't Myst have a dead end situation? I recall on the PSone I went through a portal but because I hadn't picked something up, I couldn't continue.

Myst even found it's way onto the Amiga!

I agree with Jet though.

I liked Syberia, but they were forgettable adventures.

SilverWizard_OTF

Riven is very nice game. Awesome music, excellent graphics, and ridhles who indeed are extra difficult to solve but not alogical. It is a game for hard-core adventureres (in which category i don't belong, anyway...!). Now, Myst 1 was just a nice adventure game, Myst 3 wasn't something special, but Myst:End of Ages, hey, that was a game for to remember!

Syberia has very touching scenario. Especially the scene, where the heroine jumps on the train, to travel to Syberia.... it's a glorious moment.... adventure... travelling to meet your dreams... to the unknown... i haven't played the entire game, but this scene is enough for making someone burst into tears :D

Sylvr

I've never heard of Siberia, but I know Myst has always been a 'family favourite'. My dad loves them, and would sit for hours at a time playing it. I started it too, then we spread it around to the other relatives. The thing I like about Myst is that it's kinda lonely. I don't know a way to better describe it. I like seeing a game like that where you don't need to worry about other characters (except for those creepy guys in the books. Funny story there), and I think the graphics were pretty neat. I remember laughing hysterically over something the blue book guy said... back in the day... haha. The Myst -and further sequels- always felt like a place you could actually visit. A very well-done game, IMO.
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

DeviantGent

Myst has a VERY deep and complicated backstory - I would recommend reading the companion novels, as pretty much everything in the games are as a result of things featured there. For example, the intro of Myst is very ambiguous, but makes perfect sense if you know the story.

Riven is the pinnacle of the entire adventure game genre I believe, certainly from an artistic and development perspective. Every tiny shred of Cyan's vision is on screen, undiluted by publisher's needs or costs. It's probably the last adventure game to be made for a while with the creative and artistic freedom of the authors entirely intact and uncompromised.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

jetxl

Quote from: alimpo83 on Wed 27/09/2006 12:44:27
Jet I think you are a action game addict ;D , since your consider the Myst series to be boring in every aspect. You are missing the beauty of it!
Nah, I'm missing the point of it.
Quote from: alimpo83 on Wed 27/09/2006 12:44:27
And have you played Syberia? Really? :D
Yes, as well as that new piece-o'-crap by the same writer. I know the society in adventure land is aboot quid pro quo and all, but do the characters really have to be so rude, unhelpful and hassle like a 90 year old jewish gandma? Really?

LimpingFish

Compared to other "modern" adventure games, Syberia is perfectly playable, as are similar games like Still Life. They also have fairly high production values, which helps, and they don't outstay their welcome...*cough*The Longest Journey*cough*

You realize this when you compare them to drek like The Watchmaker or Mystery of the Druids.

Myst, on the other hand, is a big pile of shite. And every sequel just piles more on the mound. Similar Myst-like games such as Schizm, Aura, or the Atlantis games are equally appalling.

Some first-person adventure games muster enough playability to be tolerable. Return To Mysterious Island, Secret of the Lost Cavern, or Voyage aren't the worst, but I'd only turn to them as a last resort.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

lo_res_man

I liked myst myself. The puzzles to me seemed to make sense, and the environments were luscious. We may get more polygon count now, but can we create as easily such beauty? There is but one puzzle I hated. The musical slider puzzle. I wished a painful death upon the developers for that one, but only that one. The music very mood enhancing, and well done. In its time it was such a departure, yet it feels so real.  I am a fan, so that must be taken into consideration, but I still love that game. I own riven and it also carries that sense of reality. But I still like myst best. By the way, I own schism, and I hate schism, so its not like I am a glutton for first person perspective games.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Dave Gilbert

Syberia exemplifies what is wrong with most modern adventure games: huge, beautiful locations that are a pleasure to look at, but with almost zero interactivity.

Most people play adventure games for the story, and when the initial "Gee that's pretty" factor wears off it becomes a chore spending ages walking from one end of a pretty location to another.  "A Moment of Silence", for example, had a beautifully rendered airport but it took F O R E V E R to walk through it, and you had to go there often.

Ali

I couldn't decide between the Syberia and Myst games. I've just begun Syberia 2 and it's reminded me of how wonderful it is. They are computer games as art. I can understand why people wouldn't like them, though, if they don't enjoy the feeling of being lonely and whistful.

I think Dave Gilbert's objections are fair with regard to modern adventure games, but less fair when levelled against Syberia.

I do find it very frustrating when a character refuses to offer their opinions on any objects part from those pertinent to the story. Syberia could have offered more Look-ats, but the depth of the conversations filled the interactivity gap for me.

I also agree that people play games for stories, and I feel that Myst and Syberia offer stories that vasty exceed a great many adventures in terms of depth and character. And whistfullness.

SilverWizard_OTF

You are right. Story and scenario are one of the most important things in a game. I wouldn't play an adventure game which hasn't interesting scenario. I think that an adventure game IS BASED on its scenario to be interesting. An extra difficult to finish it adventure game won't distract my attention, if in about the middle of the game, the only thing i know, is e.g. that "I am a detective and i am trying to find a thief who stole a diamond". Deeper the scenario, deeper the agony, deeper the will to play the game ;)
  Myst and Syberia are very good in this point. However, if i had to choose a game to win an award for it's scenario, that game wouldn't be Myst or Syberia, but Black Dahlia (nothing has to do with the movie that will be released soon--excepet that the killer is this who is suspected that killed the actress black dahlia--)  :D

Janik

Syberia, definitely. I can second Ali about "the feeling of being lonely and whistful.", well put!

I have Myst 1, 3 and 4, and I started all of them but so far have not finished any of them. Why? Because there doesn't seem to be any reason to any of it. It feels like wandering around, pushing random buttons in puzzles that exist for no reason. And, at the beginning at least, there is NO plot, no story whatsoever. I guess something develops later, but I never made it that far :)

Play pen and paper D&D? Then try DM Genie - software for Dungeons and Dragons!

SilverWizard_OTF

Indeed they are games that demand huge amount of patience ;)
As Black Dahlia of course...

TheFrighter

Sorry if I re-spawn this ancient thread, but there are a thing I'd ask...

Yesterday I purchased Syberia 3: The Complete Journey (includes Syberia 3 and An Automaton With a Plan), when I downloaded I saw it's 19 Gigabyte big!  8-0

Ok, the game contains lots of things and great graphics... still seems exagerate to me, maybe i'm wrong.  :-\

Why so heavy? Coult it be smaller?

_

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk