TTF Fonts problem

Started by SilverWizard_OTF, Thu 14/09/2006 17:55:08

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverWizard_OTF

Hello
I imported Greek Fonts. And  started writting are messages using greek characters. But when i tested the game, i noticed that fonts were invisible to the game, except characters , . ;  but if i write the texts with english characters, they will be translated to greek characters in the game.
  Please tell me, is any way to write my messages using Greek characters in AGS editor but to appear well in the game (as Greek fonts and not invisible)?
Thanks for your time
"All we have to decide is what to do, with the time that is given to us"

Gilbert

Are those Greek alphabets using ASCII code > 127 in the font? In that case I think they won't be shown in game unless you use a translation.

Read Q4 from this for more details.

SilverWizard_OTF

I have imported ONLY greek characters, so they are surely less than 127.
Basically, the problem is i have written ALL the messages and dialogs in the AGS editor using Greek Alphabet. It should had been worked, because i imported ONLY greek characters.

Khris

Does the font show up correctly in the fonts pane?

SilverWizard_OTF

Yes, they look fine.
Basically, maybe in the editor i have to write using english characters only. If i write using english characters, they are translated then to greek characters in the game (without using any translation source). I would like to know if it is possible to write the messages and dialogs in the editor using greek characters, it sounds logic to me, because i have imported greek fonts. But they are invisible in the actual game!

A solution is this that i described before, to write using english characters e.g. write "Hlios" (which means sun in Greek) and it will be appeared with greek letters in the game (because i have imported greek fonts). But with this way i can't put accents to the words.
   Any idea is of course welcome!

Khris

The editor's font is probably hard-coded into it, I don't think it's possible at all to use greek characters while designing the game.

A solution to the problem with your solution: Use characters like * or & for accented characters and change the ttf font accordingly.
There's also Radiant's font editor, I believe it's linked to in the AGS's wiki entry concerning fonts.

SilverWizard_OTF

Well, anyway thank you very much for your advice. I will look this font editor but probably i will just write...greeklish (greek words using english characters)!
I will wait Pumaman's (the creator of AGS) reply because he will know for sure if there is nothing i can do about this.

Pumaman

The editor just uses a standard Arial font, so you won't see other scripts because you'll just see what the ASCII value represents in Arial instead.

I'm not sure how much work it would be to make this customizable; would anyone else find it useful?

SilverWizard_OTF

Hello
Sorry that i didn't answer before but i had a problem with my internet connetcion
Well, if you fix it so to support writting messages using fonts that have been imported and not standard english ones, i would be grateful :) However, you have absolutely right that this might not be a serious problem for the rest of AGS users. Well, so maybe it doesn'y worth to spend time only for to solve my problem.
   Anyway, is there any pug-in/patch for AGS, or is it possible Pumaman to create one (if it doesn't demand so much time to be created) that will allow me to do what i desribed above?
   Thanks for your time

SSH

You could try my digraphs module which converts pairs of characters into other characters. So for example, you could use "(2" for Omega (it kinda looks like an omega, right?) and set up digraphs to convert it to whjatever character in your greek font is set to actually print an omega onscreen...

SilverWizard_OTF

Thanks for your advice, but if i have to type sumbols like that for each greek letter, it will take a large amountof time and it's more tiring than writting with english characters greek words :)
   Anyway, thanks for your time

Khris

Here's another idea, I'm not sure if this'll work, but it's worth a try:

Open Word/something similar, change the font to the greek TTF you've imported into AGS, enter the message using greek characters, copy&paste it into AGS.
This should allow you to use accents and you can type the messages using greek characters instead of greeklish ones.

SilverWizard_OTF

Thanks, i wil try that and i will tell you if it worked or not :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk