Lost the ags file for my game, is there any way to decompile the .exe?

Started by CobraKaun, Thu 28/09/2006 22:20:35

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraKaun

As my topic states, I unfortunately lost the data file for a game I'd been working on a long time ago, and thought about picking back up again. I do still have a compiled .exe and everything else for the last version of the game that had been made.

Is there any way that the .exe can be decompiled to recover the data? Or mayhaps someone else is aware of a method for doing this, I wouldn't mind linking you to it to download...

Candle

MashPotato

It doesn't seem as though it can be completely recovered, I'm afraid :(

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 23/05/2005 18:51:51
It is possible for me to extract all your sprites from the exe, but as of v2.5 and later it's not possible to recover any of the game scripts.

Obviously it's a bit late for this now, but I'd always recommend burning a CD backup at least once a month of any important work. Hard drive failures are all too common  :(

Scummbuddy

Actually, Candle, as they mention that it was from a long time ago, Chris Jones is able to decompile games made before a certain version. As to that version, I believe its 2.62 and before. I could be wrong about the version numbers. It may not include 2.62, but CJ should be around in due time, but in the meantime, go ahead and if you can tell us the version number of AGS that it was made with.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

FSi++

Well, I believe it's possible to extract rooms, sprite set and music (they're unpacked, at least in 2.70), probably something else. Not the scripts, though. Alas.

CobraKaun

That's unfortunate. I have everything but the scripts basically.  >:(

I still have all the rooms, sprites, sounds, etc etc. I suppose I could possibly just rebuild the several scripts etc I had from scratch, there was just alot done and alot of conversational input etc etc already put in. Probably about 500 lines I'd need to redo.

Ah well, thanks for the input guys, but if anyone knows anything differently, let me know. I'm not entirely sure what version of the program was used, but it was over a year and a half ago, if that helps. I'll try to figure that out more once I get home, as I'm at work right now.

Barbarian

Don't know if the suggestions over in this other thread may be of help to you?
(Haven't tried the "ripper" myself, so don't know if it will really work. Try at your own risk):
http://americangirlscouts.org/bbc.com/yabb/index.php?topic=27849.0
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk