Mittens 2007: Ontario, Canada (Update: Mar 21, 2007)

Started by Quintaros, Tue 10/10/2006 18:54:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Quintaros

Update: Feb 20, 2007

After a rousing game of telephone tag, I've finally confirmed a cottage rental for the week of July 20th-27th in Bayfield Ontario on Lake Huron which is about 3 hours west of Toronto (according to Mapquest).    There may be a closer airport to fly into and I will update later when I've done some research.  Anyway here are some photos from the cottage's website.

The owners of the cabin are negotiating a purchase of a new cottage which would be right on the water and would offer more activities.  If that purchase goes through they'd be selling the current cottage and transfering our booking over to the new property.  I don't have any photos of it at this time though.

The sleeping capacity of the property is 20.  I currently have confirmation deposits from 11 people with 4 others in transit.    So there is still room for 5 additional attendees.  The ultimate cost of the rental is based on the number of occupants so the per person cost is not affected by the number of attendees.  The cost per person is roughly $200 CND.  For those that have paid a deposit, only about $140 CND will be required in July. 

If you're interested in claiming one of the remaing 5 spots, please PM me to discuss.  There is no deadline for this but it will be handled on a first come first serve basis. 

Confirmed attendees thus far:
1.  Quintaros
2.  Grundislav
3.  The BaRoN
4.  Disco
5.  The Ivy
6.  Mr. Collossal
7.  Jess (Mr. C's g/f)
8. Renegade Implementer
9. Dave Gilbert
10. mattgoble
11. AGA
12.  Radiant
13. Pumaman
14.  Jet
15. Scummbuddy (pending)
16. Lo_res_man (pending)

Update: March 21, 2007

The BaRoN is organizing a vehicle rental for the week.  It will be used for day trips as well as airport pick-ups and drop offs.  He estimates the cost would be about $100 per person but needs to know how many people would be riding with him so he can select a vehicle size.  My guess is that all those flying-in will be interested but you should PM The BaRoN directly to let him know. 

Flying-in:
1. Quintaros
2. Matt Goble
3. AGA
4. Radiant
5. Pumaman

Driving-up:
1. Disco
2. Mr. Collosal
3. Jess
4. Dave Gilbert
5. Grundislav

Local:
1. The BaRoN
2. The Ivy
3. Renegade Implementor

Here is the schedule The BaRoN has put together for the airport rendezvous's:

Leave Yorkdale at 3pm, Friday July 20th
          Arrive at Pearson Int'l at approx. 4pm.
          Gather people up between 4-7pm (while making shuttle runs to a nearby bar/restaurant?)
          Hit Munroe Int'l up by 8-8:30pm (if necessary)
          Get to Bayfield around midnight.

Fortunately dropping people off at airports is much more predicatable:
          Leave Bayfield by 10am Friday July 27th
          Get to Munroe (Hamilton) by 2pm
          Get to Pearson (Toronto) by 3:30pm

Sylvr

:O That is the exact perfect location (for me, anyway). $2000 still even if you're a local? :-\
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

Quintaros

I think everyone should contribute to the cost of the accomodations regardless of whether they plan on returning home each nightÃ,  since the cottage is more than just a place to sleep.

Sylvr

True. I don't know if I can afford that much though...
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

MrColossal

it's 2000 for the week split up among the entire group.

Scotch is dumb!

I am interested. So is my girlfriend. We are interested. It appears to only be 5 hours from us. We could even drive there! Awesome.

Also, Jess and I would probably be driving over so if anyone wants to meet in Albany [through the airport or whatever] and drive over with us that would be cool with us!

eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

scotch

It's certainly not too early! I was going to post asking people to try and sort it out again. $2000 for the week is great if it can sleep that many sounds like a good location, doesn't sound too hard to get to.

Eric, they're american dollars, but still it's rather cheap. We've paid that much to camp before.

I'll probably attend. Most dates are fine for me, but we should probably work towards fixing some dates sooner rather than later.

Nacho

I think me and my significant are in... Sounds really cool! There won' t be illegal to put 20 people in a cabin? Here there are regulations about putting people in flats, not sure about cottages or cabins. Well, you' ll have to be used to this, Darren, AKA Quintaros, Mitteners will ask totally silly thinks, and will be paranoid... Will I need vaccine to go to Canada, Quintaros???

But it's worth of it... ^_^
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Quintaros

Chrille

Unless some great tragedy occurs I promise I'll be there. Sounds like a great place. If you do have the possibility to check the place out personally before we decide on anything it'd be great.
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

m0ds

QuoteAlthough I don’t live in Ontario, I volunteer myself as host so that we have a single point of contact as well as someone to take care of bookings, etc.

Thank God you said that, because last night I was going to make a thread about my concerns about Mittens 2007 not having a specific host, and how that would break tradition - and I would not go. So I'm glad you're up for the job, Quintaros!

A serious question, if you're able to give an estimated breakdown of costs for an induvidual, that includes the cabin rental, car rental and any other expenses you think will be essential, that will help me make up my overall mind - because, I also have to consider an expensive flight. I do want to go, and if I start saving around Christmas - I might be able to.

Also I did some London - Canada flight research and found flights to Ontario would cost roughly £660. If anyone can quote or estimate a cheaper deal please let me know! Not sure if I'm thinking ahead too much though!

And I agree, the accomodation does sound particularly awesome this (next) year! :D

Helm

WINTERKILL

Privateer Puddin'

I want to go.  And everyone who was at 2004 must go so I can finally meet them. Yes.

Don't have it during my exams, thanks :p

Pet Terry

Hello.

I apologise for not being on the forums after Mittens, but I noticed you're planning Mittens and I thought I'd pop in to say hello. I'm definately interested in going, I've always wanted to go to Canada. Everything sounds good so far and I actually promised Darren I'd go... we'll see how my money situation is next summer, at the moment pretty much all of my income goes to my living so it's hard to try to save when there's so little extra money. But I'm definately interested.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Grundislav

I am very much interested and plan to be there.

The accomodation sounds great.

Quintaros

Quote from: Chrille on Tue 10/10/2006 20:57:25
If you do have the possibility to check the place out personally before we decide on anything it'd be great.

I can't personally check it out but here's a link that shows some pictures and a more detailed description.

http://www.vrbo.com/85906

Quote from: m0ds
A serious question, if you're able to give an estimated breakdown of costs for an induvidual, that includes the cabin rental, car rental and any other expenses you think will be essential, that will help me make up my overall mind...

The costs are a function of how many people attend.Ã,  Ã, I'd say we'd need at least 20 people for this particular place to be desirable at $100 USD per person.Ã,  If filled to capacity it would be $67.Ã,  I think we can count on needing at least 1 van, possibly more, dependingÃ,  on how many people drive in from other locations and are willing to help shuttle others around.

I'd suggest we consolidate as much as possible when it comes to food since it's usually less expensive and there probably won't be space in the refrigerator for 30 different jugs of milk, etc.Ã,  It might be fun to organize meals so that each night a group of 3 or 4 mitteners has cooking duties etc.Ã,  Then we can tally things up at the end of the week.Ã,  If we did this I imagine we could keep food costs somewhere around $50-$60 per person for the week.Ã,  I do understand this might not be ideal for some of you who are vegetarians or have other dietary needs.Ã,  Just an idea for discussion.

There will probably be other activities away from the cottage that we chose to do.Ã,  I'm not sure if there is any admittance cost to seeing the Falls but I'm sure if there is it's worth it.

The short answer is that I'm budgeting to spend about $300 CND for everything beyond airfare but I'm anticipating that it can be done for less.

Pumaman

Sounds great, if we can get a cabin for $2000 between us, assuming that 20 of us turn up thats only like 60 GBP each.

So yes, I'd almost certainly go; and I'd second scotch in saying it'd be good to get the dates fixed as soon as possible so that we can check flights and so forth.

Quintaros

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 10/10/2006 23:23:30
I'd second scotch in saying it'd be good to get the dates fixed as soon as possible so that we can check flights and so forth.

Alright then start contributing your preferred dates.  I'm fine with any timing but think weather is nicest in July and August.

m0ds

Well, for now I'd like to suggest (for myself) anytime after 6th July to the end of July. I'd imagine in August things like air-fare would be more expensive, but I might be wrong. Also, thanks for confirming some of the costs involved here. Not too bad at all!

Quintaros

Privateer Puddin'

August would be best for me right now, i'll try find out the exam periods so it might be earlier. I can't miss exams and i don't really want to miss another mittens in this part of the world.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk