Background Blitz - 061015-26

Started by loominous, Sun 15/10/2006 20:56:00

Previous topic - Next topic

loominous

TRANSPORTATION (RENTAL) SERVICE IN WATERFALL VALLEY

Guidelines:

Create a background that you think matches the description above.
It can either be a rental or passenger service, but as to the kind,
location, timeperiod, universe; that's up to your imagination.

Voting:

I thought we might try some new voting categories, so if anyone
has any interesting replacements in mind, please do tell.

Voting will commence on the 26nd at 00:00 GMT, unless fewer than
five entries have been submitted by then.

Good Luck!

Ps. It would be great if those who like would include some
work in progress pics, to show how they work. Some comments
describing the process would be even better, but all of this is
highly optional.

Perhaps better include these as clickable thumbnails, not to
overcrowd the thread, or some other solution. Ds.

Edit: Deadline extended by request

Looking for a writer

Elric

I would suggest voting -- in addition to the other categories -- for Emotion ( How the picture affects the viewer; Does it stir awe? Repulsion? Fear? Nothing at all? ) and Storytelling. (Does the picture have something to say/show? Is it just a forest or a forest with a story behind it? How well does the painter project this story? )
This way the competition will have 3 technical ( Design, Technique and Functionality ) and 3 mental ( Idea, Emotion, Storytelling ) categories. Therefore, everyone has to use painting technique and experience along with originality and imagination to win the blitz.
Farewell Friend, for I was a thousand times more evil than thou.

loominous

Do like the ideas, though 'Emotion' might not be ideal, especially when dealing with more functional backgrounds, and I think 'Atmosphere' might be able to replace it. Anyone got any other ideas?

'Storytelling' might not be very intuitive, but I really like the idea. 'Authenticity' isn't very close, and probably even less intuitive, but the best alternative I can come up with atm. Would really like to hear some alternatives on this too, if anyone can come up with any.

I also like the symmetry between, like you put it, "mental" and "technical". Here's some other categories, where you'd sort of maintain the symmetry, but where you'd seperate between the aesthetical design aspect, and the functional.

Example:

Idea
Atmosphere
Storytelling

Design - The design of landscapes/objects/architecture
Composition
Colours/Lighting - I don't really like bundling these together, but it creates a nice consistency, categorywise.

Camera Placement/Angle - Should fit/emphasize the mood of the scene, while still work technically with 2D sprites.
Walkareas - Cleverly restricting the movement, to give the illusion of freedom, while not confusing the player.
Exits - How clear the exit areas/paths are, and the lack of areas that look like exits, but aren't.

Hope to hear some further thoughts.
Looking for a writer

calacver

I think these are all overthinking the bg blitz and overcomplicating voting. Less people will vote. A simpler approach is better like the one that exists (you made :) ). Just keep the four categories, the previous blitz showed that pixel and high-res could compete against each other, the voting was fair and fun by everyone, no need to change anything. Sometimes extra rules like idlu had could make blitzes more fun, but definitely not a must, optional by the hoster :)

LimpingFish

Just a quick five minute break from finishing Heartland Deluxe... :P

- Waterfall Valley Transport Service - 

- The only connection between the people of Waterfall Valley and the fertile soil of the plateau above them, was Parson Lipke's transport service; a dangerous, and costly, slow ascent through a wall of roaring water in a metal transport pod. -

Modelled and rendered (badly :P) in Cinema 4D.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

loominous

calacver:

I see your point, but I think the categories might hopefully turn the competition more into an activity where you create and learn, rather than a contest where only those who hope to win enter.

Fewer would probably vote like you said, since it would be more demanding, but at the same time, it would mean that only interested, and at least remotely knowledgeable people would cast their vote, instead of people just wanting to cheer for someone whose style they like. And I'd personally rather see a few quality votes than a lot of casual, thoughtless ones.

I hope this hasn't come across as elitist, since I'd like the activity to be welcoming to anyone interested in the backgrounds, regardless of their experience.
Looking for a writer

ildu

Personally I don't think this is the time to start deepening the rules or voting system. I respect the suggestion about making the competition more of a learning experience, but I think that the motivation is lacking.

First of all, I think the voting system we have now is ideal for these forums. It's not too simple, but it's not too difficult either, and it's simple and quick to use for all members. Also, there are two categories for artistry (design/technique), and two for the game aspect (idea/functionality), which kinda creates this judging scale similar to a radar chart. I think this creates a fair balance that doesn't shun away people who aren't the most artistic.

Secondly, while adding voting categories may add more artistry and analysis to the competition, in my opinion it would turn away too many voters. If we start asking people to vote about emotion, composition or atmosphere, were starting expect too much of them, and we're automatically cutting off people who are inept and uninterested to start judging such stuff. And, I for one, don't want to alienate people from this competition. I've now held three blitzes and every single time to get more than 6 voters, I've had to go around begging people to vote.

The most common excuse against voting is that it's a burden to people. People feel very burdened by voting for four categories, even if they don't write up reasons for their votes. For example, in the previous blitz, even when the entry turnout was phenomenal, many people just couldn't be arsed to vote, and it went so far as to some people not only refusing to give reasons for their votes, but actually wanting to quote other people's votes (no offence to those people :D). The second most common excuse is that the asked person isn't an artist and doesn't feel like he can honestly give fair judgements, when he doesn't even fully understand what the categories mean.

Now the question arises: Do we want these people voting at all? Which is better, quality or quantity? Well, in my opinion, in this matter quantity is more important. I believe that everyone has some sense in judging visual design and most people do have preferences in techniques, styles, etc. I see that as a valid qualification. This is after all an adventure game background design competition, not an art fair. And as a side note, most people do tend to really think about and ponder their votes. Just because no reasons aren't given doesn't mean they weren't meticulous decisions. Thoughtless, casual votes is a highly marginal amount.

PS. Who locked the previous blitz? At the end of the thread, I suggested that we could have a healthy discussion about the voting system and some other things before the thread would get locked and in that way this thread wouldn't get so cluttered up with discussion. Well, two people got their replies in before the thread was quickly locked two days before the second blitz thread (this one) was created. I found this to be pretty frickin' rude. I understand that redundant threads are best to be locked, but at least wait until the new thread is opened. Now this thread is getting cluttered up with posts like this.

u1bd2005

Heres my entry, it isnt very good, im new to all this graphic stuff, and Ive only got a very old version of paint shop pro (4)

The lines are meant to be blurred (and the grass) to add to the effect and also to get rid of all the straight edges. Please tell me what you think.

loominous

QuoteWell, in my opinion, in this matter quantity is more important. I believe that everyone has some sense in judging visual design and most people do have preferences in techniques, styles, etc.

This is exactly what I would want to avoid, because the only consequence of a competition where the taste of others is the judging factor, is the discouragement of originality, and by originality, I'm not talking a crazy looking building, but true style originality, which more or less by definition won't appeal to many.

The categories are instead meant to be based on objective qualities, which I'm well aware is a vain ambition, but in my opinion, a sound ideal.

I can still really hate a background while thinking that it has a great composition, lighting, colours, exits, walkareas, etc. So with these categories, I'd be basically voting for a entry that I don't like at all, because I'm not basing it on my personal taste.

-

As for the possibility of few votes, I can't really say that it bothers me, just as I much prefer a CL thread that contains two really good constructive posts, than 100 one line smiley posts.

One way to get a few votes is to encourage all participants to vote. I was at first opposed to voting myself, wanting to remain impartial, but I now see it as a way of emphasizing the activity aspect, where the participants are there to create n not compete.

This would mean that many contributions would generate at least the equal amount of votes, which should be sufficient.

One could make the argument that few votes means that the most deserving entry wouldn't, at least neccessery, win, but that's only bothersome if you care about who wins.

-

I realize that some may feel uncomfortable voting in some of the categories, but that can be easily solved by not demanding votes in all categories.

-

Anyway, a good thing about this competition is that its small scale allows for experimentation, so we could try numerous systems, and simply see what has potential.

Lastly, I wan't to repeat my ambition to keep this activity open to anyone interested in backgrounds, regardless of experience.
Looking for a writer

Sylvr

Every waterfall has to have a mountain 'attached' somehow... :D

| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

Mad

Okey, I tried something new here, technique wise (new for me that is) and I think I mixed to many styles.
It's unclean, unimaginative and quite frankly rather unfinished, since I lost interest as I noticed it wouldn't work out the way I wanted...

But enough of the banter, here it goes:

SSH

u1bd2005, I love your picture, it's very witty and although you're no loominous in your art, I think the idea was excellent. I'd suggest 2 things (sorry, I know it aint CL)

1. Follow some art tutorials
2. Forget the blur tool

u1bd2005

Quote from: SSH on Fri 20/10/2006 10:45:51
u1bd2005, I love your picture, it's very witty and although you're no loominous in your art, I think the idea was excellent. I'd suggest 2 things (sorry, I know it aint CL)

1. Follow some art tutorials
2. Forget the blur tool

KK, Ill keep that in mind next time, ill also search the net for some tutorials l8r and also read the tutorials that are on this site.

Daniel Thomas

Waterfall valley is connected to the industrial part of the city, with its big waterwheel working day and night to support the steam, which runs the machines. Also the transport platforms where the steam ran zepperlins bring workers, visitors and cargo.

-----
A location map or something I guess (would be hard to do any puzzeling here).
Not very funtional, but was fun doing it.

URL: http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5154/transportwk4.png

(edit: story)
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

MashPotato

The pathways of the valley are notoriously perilous, so if you wish to visit the craggy peaks of its neighbouring mountains or tour its breathtaking (ie sulphurous) lavafall, it's best to go by flying broom...

A quick background... perhaps inspired by the upcoming Halloween? ^_^

Scummbuddy

zyndikate, your gorgeous work reminds me of this image of a cancelled LucasArts Full Throttle Game, "Payback"
------
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Daniel Thomas

Ah cool, never seen that before.. I guess its not such an orginal idea :)
I was most thinking of steampunkish.

deadsuperhero

The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

KristjanMan

It's more like super-duper mega incredible I mean... :o :o :o :o

How long did it take to do this?
- They are all from AGS coloringball

Daniel Thomas

About 2hours, dont remember.. It was done in one run.. Its not that detailed, I wouldnt say its a complete work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk