I LOVE Under a Killing Moon and its ilk. Oh how i wish i could make one like it.

Started by KANDYMAN-IAC, Sat 08/07/2006 05:24:20

Previous topic - Next topic

KANDYMAN-IAC

I seriously love Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive, and Overseer (martian memorandum not so much). I love them for their interface. Humour and complete character control. I seriously want to make a 3d and FMV adventure game.
"Don't lose the bluecups they may be our only hope....!!1!!!1"

"I'm jealous of all of you guys, which means. I love your work, I just hate you as a person.... wait thats not right."

jetxl

Then make one already!
You're an actor, you have the connection. It's a great way to get acting experience.

Andail

Just wanna express how much I agree. Especially the first two games were totally awesome and very special to me.

TheYak

I paid an exhorbitant amount for all three a couple years back.  I'd just re-played Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum and missed the interactivity and humor of the later ones.  The programmer/actor that played Tex was excellent.  Cheesy? Yes.  Good actor? Not really.  Enjoyable? Hell, yes.  Even some of the more trite recycled puzzles at least had unique spins on them. 

visy (the guy who made Lassi Quest)

I'm a big fan of Chris Jones too. The games set an excellent mood and feature an unique combination of adventuring and puzzle-solving. Of course, the acting could be better, but I myself have taken a liking to the characters, especially Tex Murphy himself.

I do hope they'll get to make a new game for Tex. He deserves a quest!
Still working on 8-bit stuff, mostly NES and Atari 2600:
http://oldskool.wamma.fi

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I second Jet. Especially now that, thanks to Steve, we have the AGS3D plugin/module. There really is no stopping you!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

KANDYMAN-IAC

I'm just not sure if AGS3d is up to it, lighting wise. Plus for something like this I would need a team (of actors at the very least). Oh one other thing, ags doesn't handle video verywell does it?? So video files used for conversations may not work really well? Hmmmm. I wish  AGS3d was getting more updates, damn steve having his own life goals and reasons for living. >:(

"I'm jealous of all of you guys, which means. I love your work, I just hate you as a person.... wait thats not right."

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Well, I love messing with things I don't understand. If the technical side daunts you, gimme a call, or any other more experienced programmer - I think AGS is still capable of surprising you.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

sergiocornaga

If only Access Software hadn't been bought out by Microsoft... then I could be playing Trance right now.

Still, I suppose I should be happy I got "Tex Murphy Radio Theatre" which now seems to have completely disappeared.

KANDYMAN-IAC

Yeah the radio theatre was fantastic, truly inspired. And then it stopped. I don't know if it was a licensing thing, a time constraints thing. But its just GONE. So sad, a new story half told. Bugger.

KANDYMAN-IAC

Ok here is a thought. I don't want to recreate tex murphy. But i do what to make a classic detective story, whith pulp fiction style elements.

I thought of a private detective cryogenicly frozen and living in the future. But that wouldn't work you have to have him aclimateising to the future. And thats a bit too much. and trying too hard to emulate tex murphy.

Where as i can simply base things in the 40's or 50's and juct layer it with comic book style technology of the era. Or layered with occultism. And then I'd want to play the detective on camera. But i'm 5 foot 7 and i don't have the jawline for it.

jetxl

KANDYMAN-IAC

no it  has to be the classic black and white detective. with the right noir style voice over, it helps craft the story so much and gives the thought processes of the character a direct route to the audience.

2ma2

Go "Dead men don't wear plaid" and borrow classic noir footage for your game. Highly allegal ofcourse, if not clearing with the appropriate channels, but what the heck  :=

TheYak

I haven't gotten enough time (or off my ass in other words) to make a game, but this idea's making me drool at the idea again . . . though I've got a more cynical/cheesy idea in mind, something along the lines of Robert Downey Jr. in the Singing Detective or Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

Shaque

I only just joined this forum yesterday and I had mentioned about Mean Streets. Yes, I've seen the Mean Streets remake Tex Murphy: Oveseer and it is quite a good remake, except they took away the flight sim. I am still a great fan of the series, but I perticularly like the first two and the fact that they can be both remade in AGS quite easily. I should have read up here to tell people about my plan to make a total conversion of the classic Mean Streets.
Knowledge is a right, wisdom is a choice.

TerranRich

Quote from: KANDYMAN-IAC on Sun 16/07/2006 09:05:49...But i'm 5 foot 7 and i don't have the jawline for it.

So WHAT? I'd love to play a game where the P.I. is just an average guy, short in stature. It would add a unique element to the game.

Man, I love the Tex Murphy games. Pandora Directive was my absolutely favorite, mainly because of the three paths and seven alternate endings. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk